RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What are some must see things along I-90?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> What are some must see things along I-90?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MuddyPaws1

A State

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be heading to Yellowstone from Soo Michigan. Hitting Wisconsin Dells, Mall of America, Rushmore, Wind Cave...big stuff I know.

The little stuf is what I am looking for. Interesting museums, quirky side trips, unique natural features....that kind of stuff.

Any suggestions?

admiral0647

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must see Wall Drug in Wall SD and Corn Palace in Mitchell SD

Then there is Pipestone National Monument (Clicky) in southern MN near I90.

Also visit Devil's Tower and the drive through Badlands National Park in SD

Enjoy your trip,

Jim

I started with nothing... and have most of it left.

Damon Challenger 377c
Toyota Yaris Dingy
Scottish Terrier

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we did some of that trip this past summer. This trip report may help you out...
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23004720.cfm

gives some more detail on wall drug, pipestone and such... as for quirky, see the part about the spam museum....

Have a great trip.

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

Peg Leg

Anderson, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crazy Horse Monument.

2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
06 Hitchiker II LS 29.5 FKTS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

MuddyPaws1

A State

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For got about Crazy horse. Gonna see that too. Heard about Wall Drug also. Said you are almost beat into stopping there becasue there are 500 billboards for it.

Spam Museum is on the list too. I just laughed when I saw that on roadtrip america.

Have to look into pipestone.

Didn't know Devil's Tower was on the way.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely the Corn Palace (Mitchell, SD), Wall Drug (Wall), Bad Lands (Interior to Wall), Rushmore (Keystone), Crazy Horse (Custer) and Devils Tower (Sundance - Moorcroft, WY)

If anyone in your family likes dolls, there's an interesting doll museum across the street from the Corn Palace in Mitchell -- lots of very, very old dolls, as well as a small retail doll store in the gift shop.

Rapid City has several interesting attractions. I think my favorite is an old one there -- the Reptile Gardens. It's especially good for younger kids -- lots of fun shows in the summer -- alligator wrestling, old west shoot outs, bird shows, etc. A mile or so past the Reptile Gardens (heading SW out of town) is Bear Country, and a half mile past it is a petting zoo if you have little ones.

Another fun stop for kids (and adults) is gold panning in Lead, SD. They sell you some gravel, give (rent) you a pan and show you how to pan for gold. Everybody finds a little color. Deadwood is just a couple miles down the road from Lead -- good for gambling and maybe a tour of the old west center of the Black Hills Gold Rush. Wild Bill and Calamity Jane are buried in Deadwood's Boot Hill. The small museum there is worth a visit if you enjoy old west history.

Jewel Cave near Custer is good if you like cave tours. And I think my favorite spot in the Black Hills is Custer State Park -- the Wildlife Loop, especially in early morning. They also have several nice campgrounds there.

A nice way to leave the southern Black Hills is via Spearfish Canyon, which you'll find a few miles SW of Lead.

The first small (really small) town you'll come to in Wyoming is Beulah. You'd actually have to exit a half mile before you get there. Follow the road (old Highway 14-16) through town. (It parallels I-90) In about 5 miles you'll come to the Vore Buffalo Jump. This will soon become a rest stop with a nice visitor center, but for now it's rustic and not heavily visited. After visiting it, just continue west on the old highway and it'll lead you back to I-90 in a few miles.

And one of our favorite campgrounds is the one in Devils Tower Nat'l Monument. There's drinking water, but no hookups at all. If you need hookups plan on the KOA just outside the gate. Both have great views of the Tower. Coming from the east, I'd exit I-90 at Sundance, then re-enter I-90 at Moorcroft after visiting the site.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going west on I-94 a 2-day stop at Roosevelt N.P. in Medora is worth it. Suggest staying at the Medora City CG. Lots and lots of buffalo (correction: bison) and their synergistic friends the prairie dogs.

* This post was edited 02/25/10 06:52pm by Dick_B *

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad Lands, Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Devil's Tower, Little Big Horn (must detour for it), & Cody, WY.

Camping Near Mall of America

Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Cody, Yellowstone, etc. **** Mt. Rushmore & Custer StPk

Little Big Horn Battlefield Nat'l Mon't

Routes to Yellowstone

Cody Area, Yellowstone & Tetons

Teddy Roosevelt had lots of Bison, even in the campground at times, I would not want to miss staying in the park if at all possible, IMHO.

Saw a few horses at Theodore Roosevelt National Park's south unit and north unit in North Dakota. They came into the campground along with some Bison as well as being along some parts of the loop road.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Bison in Custer SP:
[image]

[image]
Around a Bend -July 2006
Black Hills Central Railroad 1880 Train

We had also stopped at the Teddy Roosevelt Nat’l Park North Unit near Watford, ND for a night around July 19-2009. We had been there last year, but this year we found the first 6 or 7 miles from the entrance was under construction, very dusty and slow going. But we got to see many Bison. It was very quite there, overall we enjoyed it a lot. Should be a nice roadway this coming season.

[image]
Juniper Campground - very nice, very quite!

[image]
Clifts in shadows

[image]
Little Missouri River

[image]
One of Many Bison

[image]
Traffic Jam at T R's

[image]
Camp Site in Morning Light

[image]
Were should I take a Dust Bath this morning?

[image]
Bison near PicNic area & RV dump site.

[image]
Dust Bath Area by Pic Nic area

Buffalo Bill State Park Headquarters, nine miles west of Cody on US Highway 14-16-20. The majestic peaks of the Absaroka Mountains dominate the scenery. We drove by this lake & campgrounds last Aug-2009.

Yellowstone has neat things to see as well of course:

[image]
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone -Falls

[image]
Black Bear

[image]
Yellowstone Lake near Fishing Bridge Area

[image]
Bison -Hayden Valley

[image]
Mammoth Campground Yellowstone

[image]
Devil's Tower July 2006
The day before it was 100 degrees or better up in this North Country, but it cooled down at night there. We are leaving the campground/park.

Cody Area

I have not stayed at Cabela's Sporting Stores, but they seem to allow overnighting.
Free & Low Cost Campgrounds *** RV Park Reviews ** OverNighting

* This post was last edited 02/07/11 11:19am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

MuddyPaws1

A State

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It';ll be me, the wife, 8 year old son and mother in law. I'm just a big kid too so things that a 8 year old would like....I like too. LOL

Thanks for the input.

Can't wait to take this trip. Planning about a 3 week trip in late July early August.

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very quirky side trip - http://www.thehouseontherock.com/HOTR_AttractionMain.htm

Not for everyone but we loved this place!

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> What are some must see things along I-90?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS