|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Lifted truck and 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
gochar

Kerrville, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/10 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone ever towed a 5th wheel with a lifted truck? I have a 2007 duramax chevy classic 4x4 with a 6 inch lift kit. I would like to tow a fifth wheel but don't know about the height issue with the bed of the truck. The side of the bed is 60 1/2 inches high. I don't plan on towing off road so I'm, thinking I will be ok with 6 inches of clearance. I have always had motorhomes, so everything to do with a 5th wheel is new to me. I have a long bed, but also have a slider hitch if that will make a difference.

The only way I know to lift the trailer is by adding to the frame and adding cross supports for strength. I'm not sure how many inches I can add to the frame and be safe and strong.

So far I have only looked at regular fifth wheels, but am considering a toy hauler if it would give me more height. I haven't seen any toy haulers with slide outs that aren't too expensive. I would like to stay aroud 32 ft and only want to haul a golf cart.

Thanks,
Char

Ken & Char
1999 Dutch Star, 2005 Saturn Vue

gpshemi

Lapeer, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifting a trailer 6" to match the truck is a tall order IMO. You'll have to brace the snot out of the hangers, frame and such. Personally I think it's not the best plan. The unit will not only sit really high, but the position of the pin will be higher too multiplying all the forces applied to the truck relative to the axle.

Removing some of the lift out of the truck would be a better answer. I know that isn't the answer you want to hear though either. I have 2" in my Dodge and wouldn't want to go back down.

YMMV. Good luck.

GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6" lift??. IMHO you have two choices:-
  1. Lower the truck
  2. Stick with a TT
I consider a truck with a 6" lift to be incompatible with a fifth wheel trailer for all the reasons mentioned by gpshemi.

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

Mr. Sandman

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrong and wrong! Lifted trucks pull 5er's all over the place in California, off road too. Your best bet to raise the trailer would be to flip the axles on the trailer. This will gain you approximatley 4" of lift on the trialer. Do a search on this site, in the toy hauler section, for flipped axles for more info.

Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford F350 PSD 4x4
Hauler - Sold/None
Toys - 2009 Polaris RZR LE, 1985 ATC 250R,
2009 Raptor 700, 2003 Raptor 80,

BigJon05

Central Valley CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 03 F350 with a 6 inch lift, 35" BFG tires and airbags and pull our 39' FW Raptor no problems, its perfectly level.

2007 3924 Raptor
03 F350 PSD longbed, 6" fabtec, BFG 35, airbags and compressor
09 Can-am Outlander 800 max xt ltd
07 Can-am Outlander 650 max xt

gpshemi

Lapeer, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's level that's great and I agree. If you have to add 6" to bring it up to match, I disagree. I don't care if everyone in Cali is doing it.

As for flipping...your assuming it's not flipped to start with. Cyclone's (we just purchased) seems to be on top already. 6" worth of blocks or something is asking for bent frame hangers, cracked I-beams, and all sorts of issues. The stress from scrubbing on a triple axle is already unreal.

It's all in what he's buying I suppose, but in general, it's not the better of choices. That's my only point.

BigJon05

Central Valley CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are forming an opinion about something to which you have no experience.... I didnt lift my truck cause everyone was doing it. I did it so I can have larger tires to roll out onto the sand. That being said, I notice absolutely no difference in towing from when it was stock to now.

Leeblev

Pinole, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gochar; The key, irregardless of "been towin that fer years without any problems", is making the 5er level. If it is not level, and in the case of a lifted truck, the rear of the 5er is low, then you are putting too much weight on the 5ers rear axle and you WILL experience problems, sooner or later.
As to lift kits: If your axles are already flipped, adding 6 or so inches would change the engineering of the coach and may very well cause problems as described in a post above.
If you can level the 5er, I think you will have a good time RVing. PS: Unlevel will affect your towing down the levelest highway.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

gochar

Kerrville, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/10 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the responses. I agree with flipping the axles, however, every fifth wheel we have looked at so far already has the axles on the bottom of the springs.

I was NOT considering using blocks, but actually adding to the frame from 3 feet in front of the axles all the way to the rear of the trailer with added cross bracing. I would only be adding enough to give me clearance and keeping the trailer level. I was hoping for 3 inches, but not sure if that would give me enough.

BigJon - How high is the side of your truck bed? And how many inches between the trailer and the side of the bed? Is six inches enough for me? Are the Raptors higher than other brands? I will have to take a look at them.

Thanks for the help.

DA INFERNO

Fresno Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/10 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bed rails are 64" to the top of the bed rails. I tow a 33" WW with no problems. I had to flip my axles and my truck tows it safely and very well. I have a Cognito 7-9 lift set about 8.5" of lift. It can be done and if done the right way it can be done safely.

You will find a lot of people on here that will tell you its wrong and tell you should NEVER alter you truck or trailer. Then come to find out most of these guys have after marker programmers, tire sizes that are not factory and many "unsafe" items on their own truck.

Make sure you have enough clearance between your bed and the trailer. I also had to lower my king pin one set of bolt holes. I hope you get the help you need and not a bunch of negative ppl who have NEVER towed with a lifted truck and just think the "idea" of it is bad.

06 LBZ 2500HD W/ 8" NCT LIFT AND A LOT OF EXTRAS
07 3305 WEEKEND WARRIOR
08 Polaris RZR
LTZ 250
PREDATOR 90
SCRAMBLER

TRUCK PICTURES
SOME TRAILER PICTURES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers