Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Fifth Wheel Gooseneck Hitch

Posted By: Hornetchallanger on 03/02/10 03:49pm

I'm thinking of moving up to a fifth wheel RV.My TOO small TT has served me well, but I geta little static about NOT ENOUGH ROOM!I like the idea of a bigger rig myself, just don't know enough about it.
Can any one explain the pros or cons on traditional fifthwheel hookup vs. a goose neck type hookup? Can't wait for all this snow to go away. Mike

Posted By: jimtoo on 03/02/10 04:01pm

Moving up to a 5er is nice. Lots more room, more storage and everything.

If you put an adapter to pull with gooseneck hitch, I am pretty sure you will void your warranty. I don't think there is a company out there that will allow it.

Happy Camping
Drive Safe
Jim & Bette
Kerrville Sweetheart XII Rally
George West Storyfest, 1st Sat of Nov.

04 GMC 3500, CC,Dually,Duramax,Allison
CB Radio, MaxBrake, Turboliner, Ride Rites
09 Bighorn by Heartland, 3670RL, Trailair Pinbox, Equaflex.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/02/10 04:13pm

5th wheel is a easy hook-up, line her up and slide right under. The GN will get lots of debates going. I to believe it will void most warranties. Lot of stress for a smaller pin box frame. I use both types and from what I can see the GN trailer is much better built compared to a 5er.
You'll enjoy the 5er camper. Lots of storage space and headroom.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Posted By: skylos on 03/02/10 04:14pm

A fifth wheel provides a sturdier and more stable platform for towing. It is easier to hitch. The gooseneck in a fifth wheel configuration is pretty much identical in its ability to articulate, but that ton of weight is grinding down on a little 2" ball instead of a much larger flat plate.

The ability of the vehicles to articulate relative to each other is affected more by the configuration of the trailer and tow vehicle than the hitch mechanism.

Posted By: azandy70 on 03/02/10 04:14pm

If you have a B+W gooseneck hitch ball, you can purchase a companion for it. All will warranty this combo. Yes others will not. All trailers like this are "fifth wheel". Meaning they have a pin that drops onto a slotted plate and locks in. Very basic yet safe way to tow. A gooseneck drops onto a ball like your TT does. Just in the back of the truck bed.
I think almost all here had a TT first and grew into a fiver. It tows much better and has a ton more room and storage. Welcome, you'll like it much better.

2011 F350 SRW 4x4 Crew cab short box

2012 KZ Stone Ridge. 36UL

Posted By: the bear II on 03/02/10 04:45pm

Most RV manufacturers use the 5th wheel hitch up instead of the gooseneck. To me, that shows there is a major reason for using this type of hitch on an RV.

If there wasn't a major reason you wouldn't see all manufacturers using the one kind of hitch. I bet there would be a fifty fifty split between 5th wheel or goose neck hitches.

I do know the goose neck hitches allow for more articulation, but a lot of the new 5th wheel hitch and pinbox combinations allow for better movement between the truck and trailer.

I have the B&W Companion in my truck so I have the capability of 5th wheel or goose neck. I use the 5th wheel hitch since the trailer has a kingpin box.I try to keep things simple

If the trailer had a goose neck I would have used the ball hitch.

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/03/10 06:01am

Sorry - Duplicate post

* This post was edited 03/03/10 09:08am by curt12914 *

05 Ford F-350 Lariat CC 4X4 PSD DRW Line X Retrax
02 Montana Big Sky 3295 RK (2) Honda EU2000is
When my grown kids were inspecting our new fifth wheel, one asked why we bought a trailer that sleeps 4. My reply was that we couldn't find one that sleeps 2!

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/03/10 06:02am

AGBAT wrote:

I use both and the Gooseneck is the better hitch. Less chance of damage to your truck, and trailer. No more stress on the trailer pin and frame than any other way of pulling the trailer. No binding on uneven terrain and no forcing the hitch into the pin. If you have a short bed truck you will need a pin box extension instead of a regular 5er slider hitch, and those do add stress to the pin box bolts.

I'm sorry, but your post is purely opinion (with no factual basis) and a biased opinion at that.

How can you say "No more stress on the trailer pin and frame than any other way of pulling the trailer". When you add a foot or more of leverage to the pinbox, which may weigh a ton or more, it has to add a lot of stress to the fifth wheel frame.

My fifth wheel, nor do any of the modern fifth wheel hitches that have four way movement, does not bind on uneven terrain.

"Forcing the hitch into the pin"? If anything, it would be the opposite, but I don't know why anyone would force the pin into the hitch.

For the OP, my advice would be to check with the manufacturer of the trailer you have (or the frame) and get their recommendation. They know the strengths of the frame they build and if it is engineered strong enough to be converted to a gooseneck.

For the record, I have a fifth wheel camper and a gooseneck stock trailer that I use in my side business (we sell gun safes). I went hte other way and converted my gooseneck to a pin, so I don't have to crawl into the box to hook/unhook safety chains and couple or uncouple (pretty hard to do any other way with a dually).

It's very hard to hitch/unhitch a gooseneck with a crew cab, since you can't see the ball. With the fifth wheel, I can hitch/unhitch in a very short time by myself.

Posted By: mowermech on 03/02/10 05:05pm

Generally speaking, heavy duty trailers use a gooseneck hitch. The frames are built very strong to compensate.
Generally speaking, recreational trailers have fifth wheel hitches. the frames are not built strong enough to handle the stresses of a gooseneck adapter, thus the frame warranty may be voided if such an adapter is used.
My truck has the capability to tow either. I have used a gooseneck, and I have towed a fifth wheel. I like the fifth wheel MUCH better.
Here in Montana the law requires a gooseneck to have safety chains. Such chains are not required for a fifth wheel hitch.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Posted By: pinesman on 03/02/10 05:13pm

I have pulled goose neck trailers for many years over many miles. Having two goose neck trailers and a fifth wheel now, I would stick with the fifth wheel setup. The goose neck setup (on a real goose neck trailer) usually have a higher weight rating than fifth wheels, and much more metal. However, the fifth wheel is much easier to hook up. I am considering changing one of my goose necks (if not both) to fifth wheel because of ease of hook up and how often I change between the two.

Posted By: Endricken on 03/02/10 05:46pm

Many companies offer Gooseneck Adapters for Fifth Wheels, some of which were featured in a Trailer Life Magazine article last year.
Currently, out of about 50 RV in the campground, 7 have Gooseneck adapters.
Advantages include never having to worry about dropping your trailer on the pickup bed - its either on the ball or not, unobstructed truck bed assuming you have a retractable ball installed, gentle raising and lowering hookup versus "ramming" into Fiver (don't even need to chock the wheels). Downsides include hooking up safety chains, longer hookup times (jacks are so slow to raise and lower), and maybe frame damage if your frame is weak that the RV manufacturer would not warranty.
I have a Star Performance adapter that includes a glider motion that reduces shock and chucking so presumably it performs better than the average Fiver hitch.
There are so many Gooseneck adapter sellers and users that it can't be all bad!
Good luck with your upgrade RV someday!

Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards, Bully steps, Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Reese Goosebox

Posted By: Simplygib on 03/02/10 08:13pm

I have owned TTs and 5th wheels but have always liked the 5th wheel layouts better. Always feel more secure towing them too. My current one came with a gooseneck adapter but I never used it - went for the 5th wheel hitch instead, since that's what I was used to, and I wanted the ability to tow other 5th wheels if it ever became necessary.

Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

Posted By: kschitoskey on 03/02/10 08:21pm

This is a widely debated topic on most RV forums. Personal decision - is it worth it to you? I had an adaptor initially, but the more I read the less comfortable I became. I didn't want to risk the damage to the FW frame. One conversation with a local welder who repairs trailers for a living cinched the deal. Can't go wrong with the B&W Companion. Very well made and keeps my truck bed unobstructed in the off season.

In summary, your truck, your choice. Do your research and make the best choice for you

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB; steady fast stabilizers, golf car batteries
06 Dodge 3/4 T Mega Cab 5.9 ISB - Pacbrake air bags, B&W Companion

Posted By: AGBAT on 03/02/10 09:11pm

I use both and the Gooseneck is the better hitch. Less chance of damage to your truck, and trailer. No more stress on the trailer pin and frame than any other way of pulling the trailer. No binding on uneven terrain and no forcing the hitch into the pin. If you have a short bed truck you will need a pin box extension instead of a regular 5er slider hitch, and those do add stress to the pin box bolts.

Posted By: Dave H M on 03/03/10 06:23am

Why start changing things around? I could see a point of your TV already had the goose neck hitch on it.

The best suggestin I read was to check with the manufacturer if you want to start modifying a pin box.

Gosh some of the physics here amaze me. If someone thinks that putting a goose neck extension on a fifth wheel pin box does not change entirely the stress and leverage on the pin box from pulling and pushing they did not have the same physics teacher I had in high shcool.

Posted By: AGBAT on 03/03/10 08:49am

Quote:

I'm sorry, but your post is purely opinion (with no factual basis) and a biased opinion at that.

Actually, my post is based on physics and experimentation. Your post is the one based on opinion and hearsay opinion.

I will not go into all the reasons you are wrong in the forum.

Send me an e-mail, if you want to learn why there is no added stress to the pin and frame of a 5th wheel trailer with a gooseneck adapter and hitch.

Posted By: jlnix on 03/03/10 09:13am

Why don't we just all ignore AGBAT and maybe he'll go away!

1992 Avion 35.5 5th Wheel
2006 F-350 King Ranch
6 liter PSD Torqshift Tow Command

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/03/10 09:21am

Quote:

Actually, my post is based on physics and experimentation. Your post is the one based on opinion and hearsay opinion.

When you add a 1' lever with 2000 lbs of weight on it, that adds 2000 ft. lbs. of torque to the pinbox. If the tongue weight is less, less torque. If it weighs more, more torque.

Torque is the twisting motion you put on an object with a lever. If the pinbox or frame (whichever is the weakest point) is not able to handle that torque, you will have a failure.

I stand by my recommendation. Your trailer frame is designed by engineers that can tell you if the frame will handle the increased torque. I put more faith in them than I do anyone on this forum (including myself).

Posted By: resmas on 03/03/10 09:40am

I have had both. I used a Ranch Hitch Adaptor on my 17,500lb toy hauler. Planned to use it on my bunkhouse fiver, but I could not access the pinbox to attach it. I'm pretty sure it did not add 12" to the hitch, as others have stated. Made it a few inches longer, yes, but not 12".

One of the things that bothers me about these arguements about how hard it is to hook up a gooseneck vs a fiver. Bullhonky. They are both simple. No, you do not need to crawl in the bed with all gooseneck adaptors. Many have a remote cable to lock onto the ball. A normal gooseneck trailer (stock, horse, flatbed, etc) yes, you have to crawl in the bed - an adpator can have a much different set up. I have yet to see an adaptor used with safety chains. Yes, some states may require them, but I've never seen chains used yet.

Lining up a gooseneck to hitch up is no harder than lining up a fiver. You learn where "parts" should be to be lined up correctly, and you can get it right the first time.

I stay out of the frame warranty issues. I'm not sure I believe them, and if you are out of warranty it is a moot point anyway. If the hitch adaptors were such a safety hazard and damaging item, then I would reckon they wouldn't be sold. They'd be so buried in lawsuits that they wouldn't be able to afford to produce them.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/03/10 05:10pm

Quote:

I have had both. I used a Ranch Hitch Adaptor on my 17,500lb toy hauler. Planned to use it on my bunkhouse fiver, but I could not access the pinbox to attach it. I'm pretty sure it did not add 12" to the hitch, as others have stated. Made it a few inches longer, yes, but not 12".

Copied and pasted from Ranch Hitch Adapters website:
"The installation is simple and takes roughly an hour to complete. If you want to know how to measure the adapter to see if it will fit your 5th wheel, do the following: Back your truck into position to hook up your 5th wheel. Measure from the "pin plate" (on the pin box) down to the top of the ball (goose-neck hitch)in the bed of your truck. When the adapter is fully compressed it will measures 11 3/4". It has 3" of adjustment, so when its is fully extended that measurement will be 14 3/4". You should have 5" or 6" of clearance between the over-hang and the sideboards of your truck, keeping in mind your 5th wheel needs to be level for traveling."

Quote:

One of the things that bothers me about these arguements about how hard it is to hook up a gooseneck vs a fiver. Bullhonky. They are both simple. No, you do not need to crawl in the bed with all gooseneck adaptors. Many have a remote cable to lock onto the ball. A normal gooseneck trailer (stock, horse, flatbed, etc) yes, you have to crawl in the bed - an adpator can have a much different set up. I have yet to see an adaptor used with safety chains. Yes, some states may require them, but I've never seen chains used yet.

Lining up a gooseneck to hitch up is no harder than lining up a fiver. You learn where "parts" should be to be lined up correctly, and you can get it right the first time.

Sit in the cab of any extended or crew cab truck where you can't see the ball and try to hook up alone, then tell me how easy it is. Then, try it when you are hooking up at an angle.
I've done it for years, until I decided to replace my goosenck coupler with a (fifth wheel) pin.
Then you still have to hook the safety chains if you abide by the law, which I and most people do.

If you read my post, I did not say if he should or he shouldn't use the gooseneck hitch. What I said (twice) is he should ask the trailer (or frame) manufacturer if the frame is strong enough for the gooseneck hitch.

Neither I, nor anyone else on here knows the answer to that question.

* This post was edited 03/03/10 05:37pm by curt12914 *

Posted By: Hornetchallanger on 03/03/10 05:41pm

Well folks, I have read all the answers to my question, and I appreciate all your input, thank you all very very much.
Because the pull vehicle I intend on using is a crew cab short-bed truck I was thinking of truck cab & trailer clearences, not to mention full availability to the truck bed for other uses when not pulling.
So,I don't know, I will continue on in my search for answers, and even for some answers I haven't questions for yet. Thanks again, MB

Posted By: sandy43 on 03/03/10 05:46pm

After reading this subject (I'm rather new to this forum and keep many opinions to myself), I've decided to add my experience. I have a Ranch Hitch Gooseneck on my present 5vr and the previous two I've owned over the years. When I bought my new one I had the dealer call the maker to assure me it was covered on warranty, in which I was part of the conversation, and it was. The Ranch Hitch was sold and installed by the dealer and worded into the contract to make sure no problems occurred down the line, (this only because, what I've read on this forum). I'm certainly not trying to sway opinions, just stating the way it is. The OP should do what he feels comfortable with.

What's best, who knows, I just do what works for me. Thanks

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/03/10 08:02pm

resmas wrote:

I have yet to see an adaptor used with safety chains. Yes, some states may require them, but I've never seen chains used yet.

What a lawless statement. Last I checked all states require "safety chains with ball mounts" This is a real creditable statement for the OP. Next you'll tell him you don't need trailer brakes either.

Lining up a gooseneck to hitch up is no harder than lining up a fiver.

Another great statement. Hooking up blind folded is just as easy? Give me a break we're not fools here. Be honest with the OP, it can be done but might take a bit longer.

I stay out of the frame warranty issues. I'm not sure I believe them

Once again another brilliant opinion. You don't trust the engineers who design the frame. Are you going to pay the OP for damage that may occur because of GN adapter?

Posted By: mowermech on 03/03/10 08:19pm

Please, folks, don't argue with those who refuse to believe simple machines like levers.
I am an A&P mechanic, well versed in weight & balance, center of gravity computations, and leverage. Those folks don't believe what I have to say about the issue.
There have been degreed mechanical engineers who have explained it. They don't believe them, either.
It simply isn't worth the time to try any further explanations. you won't be listened to.
The OP has received true answers to his questions. We have done all we can do.
We can only wish him "Good Luck" from here on in.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/03/10 08:29pm

jlnix wrote:

Why don't we just all ignore AGBAT and maybe he'll go away!

Good luck with that. I just look at it as one in every crowd. I'm sure he knows he can't double tow with two ball mounts. That 18' bass boat behind a 30' Prowler with only two 2" balls sounds a bit scary. My luck I'll be behind him when Murphy's law comes into effect. Sure looking forward to being on the road again

Posted By: AGBAT on 03/04/10 07:35am

Rick83864 you do not know what you are talking about but insist on yammering away any way. A gooseneck ball is more than 2 inches for one thing, maybe you cannot double tow but my CDL license says I can and for another what is scary to the uninformed/untrained is perfectly safe and normal to the informed/practiced.

Jlnix- you only contribution to this forum is to hope I ignore you- you win what you hoped for-, based on your worth to this discussion, you should be ignored by all.

mowermech- you claim to be an experienced mech and yet cannot recognize the length of a lever arm nor that a moveable object cannot have more stress applied than it takes to move it. Just accept the fact that you cannot add stress to a coupling that moves as you apply force.

As always I do so enjoy these discussions and since you all insist on burdening the forum with your opinions of me instead of sending me an e-mail, I am forced to respond in kind. To the other readers, I regret the need for taking up forum space to discuss this.

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/04/10 08:46am

This is completely off the topic, BUT.........

I am very opinionated and sometimes (usually) very passionate about what I believe. With that said, I think we all need to take other poster's feelings into account, when we post.

Most of what is posted on this forum is opinion. Most people are genuinely trying to help, by offering their opinions or ideas. It is the USA and everyone is entitled to their opinion and they have the right to post it.

I recently took about an eight month leave from this forum, because I didn't like the way some of my posts were responded to.

My suggestion is to treat everyone the way you would want to be treated. If you disagree, please do it respectfully.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/04/10 12:26pm

AGBAT
You are right I left the 5/16 off the ball size. I'm not sure if you are aware but I am pretty certain you can only double tow with a king pin 5th wheel hitch followed by a ball mount. It is illegal to double tow with 2 ball mounts which is what a GN is.
Michigan tow law clicky
It doesn't matter what kind of DL you have, 2 ball mounts is not allowed. Many states you do have to have a CDL to double tow.
I just wanted to let you know if you were unaware. Being from CA I have seen the CHP pull over a driver and make them unhitch the 2nd trailer.

Posted By: mowermech on 03/04/10 12:56pm

rick83864 wrote:

AGBAT
You are right I left the 5/16 off the ball size. I'm not sure if you are aware but I am pretty certain you can only double tow with a king pin 5th wheel hitch followed by a ball mount. It is illegal to double tow with 2 ball mounts which is what a GN is.
Michigan tow law clicky
It doesn't matter what kind of DL you have, 2 ball mounts is not allowed. Many states you do have to have a CDL to double tow.
I just wanted to let you know if you were unaware. Being from CA I have seen the CHP pull over a driver and make them unhitch the 2nd trailer.

First, AGBAT is apparently from New Mexico. I have no idea what the towing laws are there.
Second, ball to ball double tows ARE legal in some states. Montana is apparently one of them.
Third, The only state that I know of where an actual Class A CDL with doubles endorsement for Rv doubles is required is California. Some states do, apparently, require an endorsement on a NON-commercial license for towing RV doubles.
Fourth, without naming any names, it is simply a waste of time to argue with or attempt to educate some people. In their own mind, they are convinced that they know it all, and the rest of us are incredibly dumb, regardless of the education or experience we have. So, I don't even try anymore. If they want to argue with me, it is a totally one-sided argument.

* This post was edited 03/04/10 01:02pm by mowermech *

Posted By: resmas on 03/04/10 01:31pm

mowermech wrote:

rick83864 wrote:

AGBAT
Michigan tow law clicky

First, AGBAT is apparently from New Mexico. I have no idea what the towing laws are there.
Second, ball to ball double tows ARE legal in some states. Montana is apparently one of them.
Third, The only state that I know of where an actual Class A CDL with doubles endorsement for Rv doubles is required is California. Some states do, apparently, require an endorsement on a NON-commercial license for towing RV doubles.

Apparently I am not alone in the "brilliant" crowd!

Thank you for the brilliant compliments rick83864, BTW. I find it hilarious that you cannot line up and hookup a gooseneck trailer easily. LOL! It is as simple as matching a specific point of the trailer up with a specific point on the truck, and wala! Done! Amazing that I am a 5'4" woman with crew cab trucks and I can do it on my own without a spotter. I truly am brilliant!

As for the rest of your "brilliant" compliments, well, I am sorry you were having such a bad day. I hope today is better for you. You are free to state your opinion, and I am free to state mine.

And until you back up the "laws" you say exist with actual proof, I will continue with my statement, which is a FACT, that I have seen tons of gooseneck adaptors, and have yet to see any with chains. Regardless of what the state laws are, I have yet to see any chains. The storage lot I park at has over 500 spaces, and someday I will inventory and take photos of all the adaptors running without chains so you can rant about how stupid all the owners are...

And I stand by my opinion that if adaptors were so bad, they wouldn't be sold. If they were so unsafe, they would be illegal. Many of us continue to own our fivers well past the expiration date of the warranty - so it is our decision to do what we want with them.

Posted By: laknox on 03/21/10 10:19pm

clokman wrote:

I am relatively new here and researching this subject for the first time. I have a Chevy 2500 diesel with a goose neck hitch. Will be purchasing a 5th next month and really want to know all my options.

Everybody says "do a search"..so I do and all find is fighting and bickering!! I feel as if I have walked into the middle of a domestic disturbance.

As a complete stranger here let me just say that many of you should take a HUGE step back and realize that this is not a place for personalities or egos. This site should be seen as a reference and a place for learning...not a cage match.

I guess I will back out now and go seek knowledge (and a better moderated site) elsewhere.

Dude, don't take it so seriously. There =is= a lot of good info here, but like anything, there's a learning curve. One of the basics to any forum site like this, is to always try and do a search for your answer before posting your question. If you post a question without searching, just say so; if you're having trouble finding what you want, just say, "I've been searching for ..., but haven't been able to find exactly what I need." Simple as that. Just remember, you're asking for free advise from, in most cases, non-professionals, who are simply sharing their experiences. Take it for what it's worth and don't try to "own" the discussion and just take from it what you need; let the rest fight it out. If you truly have an issue, take it private or contact one of the mods. There are any number of issues that have been discussed to death and this is the reason you'll see people start nit-picking and why newbies can feel pressured to "do a search". I was going to post a question just today regarding RV covers, until I started searching for other threads, and basically answered my own question in about 15 minutes. I saved the entire community here yet =another= discussion about the pros and cons of covers. Frankly, I think some of the COF's (crusty old f@rts) here argue just for the sake of arguing. :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

Posted By: WellShooter2 on 03/21/10 07:01am

If purchasing a new FW ask if the manufacturer will warranty the installation of a gooseneck hitch. Mine said NO !!!

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/21/10 08:08am

WellShooter2 wrote:

If purchasing a new FW ask if the manufacturer will warranty the installation of a gooseneck hitch. Mine said NO !!!

I will add:

...or if you are purchasing used, call the manufacturer and ask if they recommend it on the unit you're buying. Some do, some don't. (I'm not aware of any that recommend it now, but there may still be some.)

If you do it against their advice, you are taking your chances.

Posted By: mowermech on 03/21/10 08:26am

The bottom line is: It is YOUR trailer, do what YOU want!
The OP asked for advice and opinions, and he heard from both sides of the aisle.
The issue has been beat up, thrashed over, hashed out, cussed and discussed innumerable times.
ENOUGH already!
Have it YOUR way!

Posted By: RandCBowlin on 03/20/10 09:49pm

clokman wrote:

Everybody says "do a search"..so I do and all find is fighting and bickering!! I feel as if I have walked into the middle of a domestic disturbance.

As a complete stranger here let me just say that many of you should take a HUGE step back and realize that this is not a place for personalities or egos. This site should be seen as a reference and a place for learning...not a cage match.

AMEN!

2009 Open Range 337RLS
2001 Ford F350 Supercab 4X4 Dually
Lily and Lexi (our wonderful rescue Doberwomen)

Posted By: clokman on 03/20/10 12:11pm

I am relatively new here and researching this subject for the first time. I have a Chevy 2500 diesel with a goose neck hitch. Will be purchasing a 5th next month and really want to know all my options.

I guess I will back out now and go seek knowledge (and a better moderated site) elsewhere.

Posted By: BigBlockTank on 03/04/10 01:48pm

I have a 5er with a gooseneck adaptor on my trailer. It was installed by the original owner and I left it when I bought it. I had a GN hitch put in my new, at the time, 08 2500HD crew cab, short bed diesel truck. I use a 4" set back GN ball hitch. I have almost 90* of turning capability, and no problems with traveling anywhere I've been.
I'm 6'1 and can't see the hitch in the bed of my truck, but I can hook up by myself too. It took a bit of practice, but I got it now. This is also my first 5th wheel trailer.
I put AirLift bags and AirLift's wireless controller with the compressor on the rear of my truck. It is a great addition for towing this heavy load. My trailer is 39' and weighs 10,500 emnpty. Put in 125 gals of water, a 1650 lb sand car, clothes, food, beer and ice, and you're looking at real close if not over 15,000 lbs. I've never had a problem with the GN at all. OP, make your own decision and don't let a few type A personalities dictate what you do, you gotta live with your decision, not us.

Good luck with your new endevour.

BBTank

Posted By: curt12914 on 03/04/10 06:09pm

BigBlockTank,
It's hard to gve much credibility to someone that tells us he is towing 15,000 lbs with a (3/4 ton) 2500 truck.

I guess my question to the people that have not checked with their manufacturer and went ahead and mounted a GN hitch would be, if there is demand for GN hitches (and there obviously is, since there are a lot of people using them), why are none of the manufacturers offering them as an option? There are a wide assortment of options offered by every manufacturer, but I have never seen a manufacturer offer a GN conversion. Why is that?

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/04/10 06:53pm

Bigblocktank
Your sig statement
"It was hardly used by the original owner, only 19 hrs on the genset."
I would be keeping a eye on the pin box even more with a TH. They tend to go off road more. What is your scaled weights with that TH and TV?

Okay Remas
Your still not addressing my last statement. You going to pony up if the OP has a problem with his frame? The OP is not talking about a light RV.
I'll get you the state law web site concerning "safety chains". Just because people don't use em don't make it legal.

Have a great day

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/04/10 06:59pm

Here you go Remas
safety chains
I'm sure you won't believe them either.

Posted By: JIMNLIN on 03/04/10 07:15pm

curt12914 wrote:

BigBlockTank,
It's hard to gve much credibility to someone that tells us he is towing 15,000 lbs with a (3/4 ton) 2500 truck.

Looks like a MR BigBlockTank may be due a apology as Ford F250 is rated to 16300 lbs and the GM2500 up to 15500 lbs according to their respective web sites.

I've pulled with several different size GN trailers and one flatdeck 5th wheel trailer some years back that made a living for me. I can tell you trying to get on the ball at nite in a dark loading yard or a dark/muddy construction site was frustrating at best. On the flip side was the one 5th wheel trailer that was always easy to see and a cinch for hooking up.

I tow a 16k tripple axle stock trailer joint owned with the truck in sig and its a pain getting hooked up. If I was on the road again I would go with one of Saf Holland 5th wheel hitches.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Posted By: ccrain2851 on 03/04/10 07:37pm

I'm just waiting for this thread to get closed!! Lots of flaming going on.

I'll offer my experiences and not my opinions. I've been around g-neck trailers since I was born. Old Man showed competition quarter horses, barrel & pole bending. I hooked my first trailer when I was about 11 or 12 so I favor them more than 5er hitches. I don't believe they are harder to line up and hitch. It's like anything, practice makes you better. With that, I did purchase an adapter when we bought our first RV since we had the turnover ball. I towed it one time and one time only. Took it back. Just didn't like the feel and felt uneasy about it. Bought the companion hitch and have been happy every since.

I will say that my Feather lite tows much, much better than any RV that I've ever towed but I believe that has to do with the lower center of gravity and stronger frame.

That's my $.04, no change necessary

C Crain
a Wife, 2 Kid, Dog & 2 Horses
'01 F250 SC LB 7.3 4x4
'10 Springdale 267BHSSR hooked to an Equal-i-zer
'01 Feather Lite Trailer G/N, 3 horse slant w/ living area hooked to a B&W turnover ball

Posted By: BigBlockTank on 03/04/10 08:31pm

curt12914 wrote:

BigBlockTank,

I guess my question to the people that have not checked with their manufacturer and went ahead and mounted a GN hitch would be, if there is demand for GN hitches (and there obviously is, since there are a lot of people using them), why are none of the manufacturers offering them as an option? There are a wide assortment of options offered by every manufacturer, but I have never seen a manufacturer offer a GN conversion. Why is that?

Mr. curt, your opinion of me is none of my business. I was offering up my experience. I didn't jump on here and crawl up your rear end. I'm not going to stoop that low, but if it suits you, be my guest. I've seen keyboard comandos like you for 12 years now.
Try adding to the OP's question, not jump up somebody's butt, OK?

Posted By: BigBlockTank on 03/04/10 08:42pm

JIMNLIN wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

BigBlockTank,

Looks like a MR BigBlockTank may be due a apology as Ford F250 is rated to 16300 lbs and the GM2500 up to 15500 lbs according to their respective web sites.

I've pulled with several different size GN trailers and one flatdeck 5th wheel trailer some years back that made a living for me. I can tell you trying to get on the ball at nite in a dark loading yard or a dark/muddy construction site was frustrating at best. On the flip side was the one 5th wheel trailer that was always easy to see and a cinch for hooking up.

I tow a 16k tripple axle stock trailer joint owned with the truck in sig and its a pain getting hooked up. If I was on the road again I would go with one of Saf Holland 5th wheel hitches.

JIMNLIN, thanks for the thought, but people like him are going to criticize not matter what is said/typed. I just consider the source.

rick83864, I never thought to look over that trailer before hooking up to it, loading a $60,000 sand car in it and taking off. Good thing you came on here to tell me what I need to know. Man, God has blessed me by having you stop in this thread to tell us all what we're doing wrong.

To every one of you that get on here to complain, criticize, or otherwise not contribute to this thread, start your own thread and all of you can go in that one and type away. Some of the others of us just might have real stories, or good stuff to pass along. Hell, some of us would like to learn something, and I'm one of those.

BBTank

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/04/10 08:46pm

ccrain2851 wrote:

I'm just waiting for this thread to get closed!! Lots of flaming going on.

I'll offer my experiences and not my opinions. I've been around g-neck trailers since I was born. Old Man showed competition quarter horses, barrel & pole bending. I hooked my first trailer when I was about 11 or 12 so I favor them more than 5er hitches. I don't believe they are harder to line up and hitch. It's like anything, practice makes you better. With that, I did purchase an adapter when we bought our first RV since we had the turnover ball. I towed it one time and one time only. Took it back. Just didn't like the feel and felt uneasy about it. Bought the companion hitch and have been happy every since.

I will say that my Feather lite tows much, much better than any RV that I've ever towed but I believe that has to do with the lower center of gravity and stronger frame.

That's my $.04, no change necessary

You sound like congress, LOL. I tow both, each has its own function. The OP ask about towing a 5er with a GN. We all gave an opinion, or 2 maybe 3. Now give me back the 2 cents!!

Posted By: resmas on 03/04/10 09:08pm

rick83864 wrote:

Okay Remas
Your still not addressing my last statement. You going to pony up if the OP has a problem with his frame? The OP is not talking about a light RV.
I'll get you the state law web site concerning "safety chains". Just because people don't use em don't make it legal.

Have a great day

Why in the He** would I pay for the OP's frame issues? That is the dumbest statement I have heard in a long time. It is his decision to put an adaptor on, nobody is holding a gun to his head. And BTW, I used an adaptor on a 17,500lb toyhauler, and it was only used in mountain hauling. No flat land where I live. The adaptors I have seen are evey distributed on fivers and TH's - so I still stand by my opinion that they do work.

The website you provided proves nothing. I have seen the same infomation several times on several sites. It says nothing specifically about what rigs require chains, only that they are required. Other websites say any towed aparatus over 3K. That's a pretty broad statement. The only way to truly know what state laws are is to contact each state office individually, or do a lot of digging on individual state law websites, if you can find them. I just don't get to worried about a gooseneck hitch of any sort jumping off the ball. Even if not fully locked on, that is an extreme amount of upward force needed to dislodge it. Seems a lot easier for a fiver to slide out of an unlocked fifth wheel hitch... And that does happen. Lots.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/04/10 09:20pm

BigBlockTank wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

BigBlockTank,

JIMNLIN, thanks for the thought, but people like him are going to criticize not matter what is said/typed. I just consider the source.

rick83864, I never thought to look over that trailer before hooking up to it, loading a $60,000 sand car in it and taking off. Good thing you came on here to tell me what I need to know. Man, God has blessed me by having you stop in this thread to tell us all what we're doing wrong.

To every one of you that get on here to complain, criticize, or otherwise not contribute to this thread, start your own thread and all of you can go in that one and type away. Some of the others of us just might have real stories, or good stuff to pass along. Hell, some of us would like to learn something, and I'm one of those.

BBTank

I was the 2nd post and I stand by it so I didn't just stop by bigwhoever. The OP ask a question we respond with our opinions. That is what it is "opinions". You stated yours and you can get a response based on your opinion. I have nothing to lose with you towing a GN with a 5th wheel RV. More power to you. I just warn of the pin box damage that could happen for those with a open mind. By the way, you didn't mention all of Jim's response for some reason?
I wish you nothing but the best camping experience and hope that GN works well for you. Safe travels

Posted By: NEVERSWEAT7 on 03/04/10 09:25pm

Wow... so much drama

If there are doubts, post links to each and every conflict. This rig will pull that weight.. post the manufacturers link. That should settle it.

In Ca you have to have a fiver hitch to double tow. I suppose we all know that.

I tow both set-ups. I use that little extended rod with a tennis ball on it to line up my GN. Easiest way for a single line up. I do use chains, Grade 70, one on each side.

Honestly if that loaded trailer comes off that ball hitch (GN) is there anybody here that thinks those chains are going to hold it? Grade 70 chain is only rated at 6600 lbs.

Go check the weight rating links, I use that chain for rescue work applications and need to know ratings. Imagine that torsional shearing snap force if it comes off. Between the cable break and the chains, two of course.. it may slow the train wreck down but it will not stop it.

Too many personalities to agree of such an easy topic.. as we say on the job.. go to the net. Research it.

2010 F-450 King Ranch Loaded. AeroTank 65 gallon auxillary tank/toolbox with timer,
2005 Alpenlite Portofino/ loaded/ 650 watts Kyocera Solar 2800 Watt Magnum Pure sinewave Inverter
Reese 24K Signature Series Fifthwheel Hitch Sig Series 30K Gooseneck

Print  |  Close