Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Can anyone identify this rig?

Posted By: sbodi4d on 03/06/10 12:11am

It belongs to the company I work for, and I'm thinking about buying it and fixing it up. Would it be worth saving? It needs a lot of work.
I can't find any tags or plates anywhere, inside or out. The only decals I see are Lark and TEC. Thanks for any help.

Well, the pics didn't work.
Nevermind I figured it out.

* This post was last edited 03/06/10 12:24am by sbodi4d *

2007 Silverado 1500 5.3L/3.42 gear ratio.
2013 Honda CRV

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 03/06/10 01:42am

If you go to the NADA RV Bluebook, you'll find the 1976 thru 1978 Larks by TEC...Travel Trailers and Tent Trailers. It lists the model numbers and value. Lark was made by TEC from at least 1974 thru 1978 when they went out of business.

1972 Lark by TEC Manufacturing

1975 Lark TT

1973 Lark

1977 Lark pop-up You can still buy replacement tent fabric for $700.00 from a canvas shop.

1973 Lark

This is kinda of a sad ending to one old Lark!

As you can see, a Lark is good condition is likely worth double what was originally paid for it! Go to some of the "Vintage Trailer" forums. Good luck..might be a nice project for the "old girl"!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: crazycardfan1 on 03/06/10 06:51pm

They should be glad that you would take it and give it to ya!!

02 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 04 Coachman Catalina Ultra Lite 261 RLBS

Posted By: gbopp on 03/06/10 05:42am

Also, tincantourists.com may be another place to search for information and parts.
Let us know if you purchace the unit.

Posted By: Art D on 03/06/10 07:34am

Most importantly, can you get a title and registration?

Geaux LSU

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 03/06/10 10:26am

Make sure you go through it with a fine tooth comb and a drug dog before you buy it.

2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

Posted By: dbcc186 on 03/07/10 08:24pm

Interesting project.If you find the info you are looking for and buy it, please post pics of overhaul. What kind of roof is that? I like how it wraps around all four sides.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT Z71 4X4 5.3
2002 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 Ext.Cab 5.3 3.73 rear
Putnam Class V XDR
Prodigy
2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS
MAXX AIR
Tornado
Reese Strait Line Dual Cam 1,200 lb Trunnion bars

Posted By: JJBIRISH on 03/09/10 07:33am

sbodi4d wrote:

I don't intend to restore it to it's original condition, but to make it a safe and enjoyable camper for me and my family. At this time I could not afford to buy a TT of this size, so I was looking for something inexpensive that I could pour some TLC into and end up with something we would enjoy.

I know it will be time consuming, and probably expensive, but it is all I can take on at this point. I have plenty of spare time, and the outlay of cash will be, when I can afford to buy parts I will, not a monthly payment.

It sounds like a marriage made in heaven… go for it and enjoy…

your investment of time and completion in the project can make camping in it even more enjoyable than a large cash investment…

I do think the $1000 offer is a little to high for it and do check the frame beams for soundness and if it looks like to much work once you get into it the frame can still be made into a good utility trailer then…

Again good luck…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Posted By: pasusan on 03/09/10 05:43am

sbodi4d wrote:

I offered $1,000.00 for it, maybe too much, but I think it will be nice after it's fixed up.

Can you take back that offer???? It should either be free or at the most $300.00. The owner obviously has no use for it and it isn't in a-one condition, to be almost blunt. You have a lot of fixing up in front of you which would be OK only *if* you don't pay too much for it up front.

You really could get something much nicer! Old trailers all leak and have rot.

JMHO of course.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Posted By: sbodi4d on 03/08/10 10:17pm

I did home remodeling for a living for 8 years, and still do a lot of the same thing around the house. I'm no stranger to woodworking, plumbing, electrical work or roofing. I also used to be a mechanic, and I know that RV's structures are different than houses, but I have the skills to do any repairs that need to be done. I also would never risk my family's safety by cutting corners. If I did repairs they would be sound repairs. I am also not going to buy the rig if after I check it out, I think there are any issues whatsoever with the structural integrity of it.

I don't intend to restore it to it's original condition, but to make it a safe and enjoyable camper for me and my family. At this time I could not afford to buy a TT of this size, so I was looking for something inexpensive that I could pour some TLC into and end up with something we would enjoy.

I know it will be time consuming, and probably expensive, but it is all I can take on at this point. I have plenty of spare time, and the outlay of cash will be, when I can afford to buy parts I will, not a monthly payment.

I did manage to find a tag on the tongue under a clamp on device of some sort (probably part of a WDH). It says date: 4/77 so now I know it is a 1977 TEC Model 92. The tag is pretty scratched up, but I can make out the serial number and the weights. It says GVWR 7600, GAWR FRONT 3250, REAR 3250.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Posted By: sbodi4d on 03/07/10 10:38pm

Thanks for the info about the websites. I offered $1,000.00 for it, maybe too much, but I think it will be nice after it's fixed up. The owner of our company is in Russia at the moment, so I'm not sure when I will find anything out. He is usually pretty good about having titles and registration on his vehicles, so hopefully he has the paperwork on this. I would never have believed it was a 70's model, I figured mid to late 80's. The inside needs attention, but not near as much as you would think for a 30 something year old TT. It seems to have good bones, there are some hail dents on the metal, but that can be repaired. The part that bothers me is the fiberglass parts, I'm sure they are no longer available and some of it is pretty brittle from sitting out in the West Texas sun. There looks to be a couple of leaks in the roof, but I haven't been on top of it yet, so I don't know what kind of shape the roof is in. For some reason the drawer fronts in the kitchen seem to have disentegrated. I am adding a few more pics.

Posted By: JJBIRISH on 03/08/10 12:17am

I guess what you mean by fix it up matters…

If you mean restore it is a labor of love, I like vintage and classic… but that spells commitment and expense and a awful lot of it…

If you mean fix and make it safe and sound it will require a major expense and a lot of time…

If you mean fix only what you have to and mask the rest, you may still end up with a major investment in it…

Before making a firm offer do you yourself a big favor and do a lot of inspecting first…

Consider right off a new set of tires… there is a even chance it has either Dexter star wheels or Fayette wheels on it that are hard to find and expensive to buy if any of them are pitted badly (inside or out)… worse yet it could have old Hayes axles that you can’t even get some brake parts for…

I assume it will have a boxed steel frame under it that could be badly pitted and weak (check near the front and rear especially for this)… you wouldn’t want the tongue to break off on the way home…

new LP tanks, hoses, and maybe regulator… the black iron supply line could also be rusted or the t connections leaking…

If you see signs of a leak damage, what you can’t see will be far, far worse… it probably has a lot of particleboard in it that just don’t like dampness (kitchen drawers maybe) and the wood frame has probably been exposed to water for some time…

This type of repair just isn’t for the average handyman even though they may be able to do it…

Just don’t buy it and hope most of it is ok… that seldom works out very well…

Good Luck

Posted By: Art D on 03/07/10 01:01pm

Quote:

and a drug dog before you buy it

WOW! I never thought of that! Really now, how would you address that issue on any used RV or vehicle you buy?

Posted By: janechucknicodemus on 03/07/10 01:18pm

For numbers you may look on the tongue either side back towards the box.
If the numbers are not there you may have areal hard time getting papers. Also I wouldn't offer any more than 500. if you do find numbers.
GOOD LUCK and in the 70's these were a real great unit.
Chuck

Posted By: dougwhite on 03/09/10 07:48am

Howdy. I'm also from Midland and I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild of a 1998 Dutchmen Lite 26 footer. You can see my progress in the Travel Trailer Modifications & Accessories area under the post "1998 Dutchmen Lite Unplanned Travel Trailer Flip". Mine is now just a shell, no walls, no ceiling, no floor, and I'm hoping this winter weather we've been having out here will go away so I can get to the rebuilding phase.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time removing stuff, cussing, removing more stuff, cussing some more, and wondering how they make these trailers stay together the way they build them. Also, in order to make repairs the right way and with safety in mind, be prepared to open your wallet.

That's just my experience so far and I'm only 1/3 of the way into my project. I know it'll be satisfying when I'm thru, but I won't be doing it again.....ever.

Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

Posted By: sbodi4d on 03/09/10 10:35pm

Hello, Doug. Nice to see another Midlander on here. I know what you mean about the winter weather. I can't wait for some warmer weather. My wife and I are going to Fort Davis to camp at the end of March, in our trusty tent again, and I'm hoping for good weather. Looks like you have quite a project going there yourself. If I get this TT I will probably feel the same way afterwards, it was satisfying, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Good luck on the rebuilding phase.

* This post was edited 03/09/10 10:41pm by sbodi4d *

Posted By: sbodi4d on 03/09/10 11:33am

Well actually, the $1000.00 offer was just to let him know I am serious. I have worked here for 10 years, and the owner has done some real nice things for me (paid for a transmission in my Suburban). I plan on trying to talk him into giving it to me, but I have to work the old politics game first, he expects it. There's no cut and dry negotiations, it's always cat and mouse for a while, but I usually end up with what I wanted in the first place. If not, I will go back to looking for a pop-up I can work on. I'm just getting tired of pitching a tent when we go camping.

Posted By: DavidP on 03/09/10 08:37am

I would not pay 1k for that either. It’s sitting in a field and would continue to sit in a field, most likely forever, if you did not show interest. That looks like a total gut job. Like others have said the real damage will be where you can’t see. Once you start peeling the layers back it will keep going and going and going until it is stripped. You may get lucky and have very little rot in that unit but it is doubtful. Over the years and in this case decades, just moisture from temperature fluctuation and sitting will rot out a unit without any leaks. I would offer to take it off his hands, or at most offer as mentioned by others 300 max. As you know by working as a tradesman, it will most likely need all new appliances, plumbing, electrical, and of course mechanical/chassis repair including brakes and axle service/replacement.

Good Luck.

Print  |  Close