RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Can you shorten(width) a slide topper awning?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you shorten(width) a slide topper awning?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
VolCTD

Knoxville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, strange question here. My father-in-law picked up a slightly used 14' slide out topper while in Florida this winter for our 5th wheel. Only problem is the slide out is just 12'. Can you take apart one end and cut it down to a shorter length (12') without destroying it? It's an A&E brand if that helps.

Thanks,
Bill

* This post was last edited 03/16/10 08:46pm by VolCTD *   View edit history

2003 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 5.9L CTD LB, Vision 19.5 wheels & Hankook DH01's, PacBrake Airbags, ISSpro Gauges, Quadzilla XZT+
2008 Denali 28LBBS 5er

rvsatek

AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course you can. Just take the fabric off, cut it and sew (or have a fabric shop sew) a seam on it. You will have to cut the tube to fit the slide and reassemble it but it can be done with a little ingenuity.

Larry
1994 Ford F250/7.5L/410 gears
2001 Keystone Sprinter 276RLS 14' slide

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you have all the "pieces and parts" to attach the topper to the slide before starting this job. There are special mounting brackets and stand-offs required at each end. No sense in shortening it, only to discover that it can't be mounted.

With all that said, it is possible to shorten the tube and fabric, but it's questionable if it's worth the effort. Be very careful when working with the springs. Release the tension slowly and count the turns.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would probably have to look at it, to see how it's put together....I believe that anything is possible, but is it practical or cost effective, and how will this look on your coach?

Also, are you opening a "can of worms" here......since I'm guessing that there may be some specialty tools required to set the torsion springs, etc.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

VolCTD

Knoxville,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick repsonses. Like you said it's the springs that make me nervous. I have all the mounting brackets and other parts for it. From just taking a quick look it seems fairly simply as long as I can get the tension spring back like it should be. As far as "is it worth it" they are free to me so yes it's worth a little time and trouble. He also picked up a 6' for my front slide out that fits fine. So I think I came out pretty good since the last estimate to buy them new and have them installed was around $800 and they gave these to us for free!

Rob's

Home

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need help you can get a manual here. Its easy as long as you follow the saftey instructions.

Rob
RV Tech

Heir Max

membership 1/16/2001, Bay Minette, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had my slide topper off working on it. I don't see any problem in shortening the awning. Sewing a seam on the fabric would be the biggest thing. There are two springs if it is an A&E. The inside ends slide on three ribs inside the tube, so that is no problem. The torsion on the springs is 13 turns. One turns clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Grind the pop rivits and punch them out of the wheel. I used bolts and nuts when replacing.

99 Tradewinds
2000 Explorer Toad

MrTravelDecal

wandering

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have shortened/lengthened them several times.

To shorten, Take it apart and cut off X amount off of the tube and then cut off X amount (minus 1") off of the cover. Before you cut the cover pull both of the splines back out of the hem enough that you wont be cutting them. Fold the hem (of the cut edge)over 1" and then sew it (I put two rows of stitching), now the topper has a finished length equal to X. Reinstall the splines. Mount the assembly onto your rig according to A&E specifications.

This is the shortened version.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you shorten(width) a slide topper awning?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS