RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Speed Limit-MH with Tag Axel

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Speed Limit-MH with Tag Axel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RJ's RV

Washington

New Member

Joined: 03/05/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue was raised in a previous thread. On California highways; what is the speed limit for a motor home NOT towing a trailer or Tow’d.

I believed that since my motor home had a tag axel, I would be governed by the speed limit posted for trucks.

Some forum members stated that I was wrong, so I had some time and I did a Google search. It seems to me that unless a tag axel is not considered an axel, the following applies:

Quote: “California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) states, in essence, that if your vehicle has three or more axles, the vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, you shall use the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane. There are a few exceptions, but in general, this is the rule.

So, you’re driving your pickup truck and towing your boat to the lake. The maximum speed limit is 55 miles per hour and except when passing slower traffic, you’re supposed to drive in the far right lane.” End Quote.

http://anewscafe.com/2009/09/20/monty-hight-traffic-safety-tips-3-why-two-speed-limits/

Is there an exception to California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) exempting tag axel motor homes?

RJ


2007 40ft Country Coach Allure 470
Towed: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJ's RV wrote:

The issue was raised in a previous thread. On California highways; what is the speed limit for a motor home NOT towing a trailer or Tow’d.

I believed that since my motor home had a tag axel, I would be governed by the speed limit posted for trucks.

Some forum members stated that I was wrong, so I had some time and I did a Google search. It seems to me that unless a tag axel is not considered an axel, the following applies:

Quote: “California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) states, in essence, that if your vehicle has three or more axles, the vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, you shall use the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane. There are a few exceptions, but in general, this is the rule.

So, you’re driving your pickup truck and towing your boat to the lake. The maximum speed limit is 55 miles per hour and except when passing slower traffic, you’re supposed to drive in the far right lane.” End Quote.

http://anewscafe.com/2009/09/20/monty-hight-traffic-safety-tips-3-why-two-speed-limits/

Is there an exception to California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) exempting tag axel motor homes?

RJ


All their signage says the same thing, all vehicles with more than 2 axles are speed limited at 55mph. The axle limit also goes for HOV lanes as well. Why? Well if the speed limit is 65 for regular traffic and a 3 axle MH got in it and could only go 55????? I asked a Highway Partol officer once why commercial busses are allowed to travel the max speed limit and in carpool lanes and was told that they have an exemption. It would be good for RVers to enjoy that exemption too!!
Ron

RJ's RV

Washington

New Member

Joined: 03/05/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pusherpilot

All their signage says the same thing, all vehicles with more than 2 axles are speed limited at 55mph. The axle limit also goes for HOV lanes as well. Why? Well if the speed limit is 65 for regular traffic and a 3 axle MH got in it and could only go 55????? I asked a Highway Partol officer once why commercial busses are allowed to travel the max speed limit and in carpool lanes and was told that they have an exemption. It would be good for RVers to enjoy that exemption too!!
Ron

Ron
Thank you for confirming what I had originally believed. After posting my thoughts on the prior thread and getting critized by some of stating my opinion, I started to doubt my belief.

Thanks
RJ

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/01/10 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have spent quite a bit of time traveling Ca. hwys. in the past 12 mo. and I have found if you try to travel 55 mph you will get run over plus a few obscene gesters. I have found if you travel with the traffic, whatever that speed is, you are much better off. I ran 65 some times and 60 sometimes. Traveled beside State Troupers and Police. They never paid any special attention to me as long as I did not impede traffic flow or excessivly speed faster than the surrounding traffic.





Tom_Anderson

Concord, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/23/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The law says trucks with 3 or more axles are limited to 55MPH. Your motorhome is NOT a truck, and is therefore NOT limited to 55MPH.
California Vehicle Code wrote:

Maximum Speed for Designated Vehicles

22406. No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway
at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.

(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.

(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.

(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.

(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.






Tom_Anderson

Concord, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/23/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

I have spent quite a bit of time traveling Ca. hwys. in the past 12 mo. and I have found if you try to travel 55 mph you will get run over plus a few obscene gesters. I have found if you travel with the traffic, whatever that speed is, you are much better off. I ran 65 some times and 60 sometimes. Traveled beside State Troupers and Police. They never paid any special attention to me as long as I did not impede traffic flow or excessivly speed faster than the surrounding traffic.


There's nothing wrong with doing 55, as long as you stay in the right lane. Most people won't be bothered by it at all. It's when you drive in the left lane with cars piling up behind you and/or passing you on the right that it becomes a problem.

("You" is not directed at you or anybody in particular.)

Craig P.

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_Anderson wrote:

The law says trucks with 3 or more axles are limited to 55MPH. Your motorhome is NOT a truck, and is therefore NOT limited to 55MPH.

Tom is correct. A motorhome is not considered a commercial vehicle, so you are safe to travel at 65 MPH (or 70 where posted), and you may enter the HOV lanes as long as you abide by the occupancy posted for that stretch of the freeway.

All bets are off once you add a toad or a trailer. Speed limit is then 55 and you are limited to travel in the two right hand lanes only.

Craig


My wife does all the driving - I just hold the steering wheel...

2005 Providence 39J
2007 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab Dingy
Thousand Trails & Coast to Coast Members


Craig P.

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate post...

Tom_Anderson

Concord, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/23/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Craig P. wrote:

Tom_Anderson wrote:

The law says trucks with 3 or more axles are limited to 55MPH. Your motorhome is NOT a truck, and is therefore NOT limited to 55MPH.

Tom is correct. A motorhome is not considered a commercial vehicle, so you are safe to travel at 65 MPH, and you may enter the HOV lanes as long as you abide by the occupancy posted for that stretch of the freeway.

All bets are off once you add a toad or a trailer. Speed limit is then 55 and you are limited to travel in the two right hand lanes only.

Craig


Yup. If you're towing, then you fall under 22406(b).

RJ's RV

Washington

New Member

Joined: 03/05/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/01/10 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_Anderson wrote:

The law says trucks with 3 or more axles are limited to 55MPH. Your motorhome is NOT a truck, and is therefore NOT limited to 55MPH.
California Vehicle Code wrote:

Maximum Speed for Designated Vehicles

22406. No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway
at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.

(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.

(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.

(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.

(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.





I am on the road and do not have access to a California Law library, but I noted that you cited California Vehicle Code Section 22406 (A-F)

According to the site that I originally quoted:

With regards to a motor home with a tag axel, California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) controls. My reading of the law conforms with the passage quoted below. Is there a California Vehicle Code Section that states that California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) does not apply to motor homes?

Quote: “Also important to understand is that vehicles in the aforementioned category must comply with another vehicle code section.
California Vehicle Code Section 22348 (c) states, in essence, that if your vehicle has three or more axles, the vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, you shall use the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane. There are a few exceptions, but in general, this is the rule.” End Quote

http://www.accutraffic.com/www/accutraffic/or.html

Thanks for responding to my thread,
RJ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Speed Limit-MH with Tag Axel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS