Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Landing gear fuse

Posted By: LI Happy Camper on 04/07/10 05:31pm

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a new Keystone Alpine 5th wheel and I keep on blowing the landing gear fuse. My driveway for my 5th wheel slopes a lot so I need to raise the landing gear 20 inches to get it level. I went through 4 30 amp fuses to get it level today after returning from vacation in Myrtle Beach?

2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Crew Cab DRW Golden Bronze Metallic
Reese 20K fifth wheel hitch
Firestone ride rite airbags

Posted By: tvman44 on 04/07/10 05:36pm

Make sure your battery voltage is up where it should be, then check for loose connections. Either will cause the motor to draw more current then normal. If that does not do it, you probably have a bad motor.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Posted By: familyof3 on 04/07/10 05:46pm

one of your landing gear legs could be bent or no grease in the gears, i have been there and done that, not fun, be carefull your motor will go out soon if you keep replaceing the fuses, and that is not cheap.

Posted By: LEWISCLAN on 04/07/10 05:53pm

try just raising it in 3 stages insted of just 1. the motor is getting hot raising it up 20"

Posted By: Virgil_Diesel on 04/07/10 06:22pm

I have the same problem with my Jayco Lite and my dealer replace it with auto reset fuse. I used to blow 5 to 6 30Amp fuse during loading and unloading

Posted By: Mike Boutet on 04/07/10 06:36pm

I've got an 06 keystone product, and was blowing fuses until i replaced the landing gear switch. Mind you, while it was under warranty the dealer replaced it three times. They replaced it one time, i went to pick it up, the landing gear would go out but wouldn't retrack. Good luck.

Posted By: LI Happy Camper on 04/08/10 06:18am

At a campgound it worked fine, but remember I am only lifting a couple of inches to get it off the hitch. When I get home I need to raise the front 20 inches to get it level so I can run the fridge while at home. I had a Coachmen 5th wheel before this Alpine and I would raise it to level after every trip without any problems. TVman 44 the battery voltage is good. It is a brand new 5th wheel with 2 12 volt batteries installed. Lewisclan I tried raising it in stages waiting a couple of minutes in between but that does not work. The motor feels very hot when the fuse pops. FastEagle the 30 amp in line fuse is the one poping

Posted By: Papasmurf10 on 04/08/10 06:43am

I have a 2009 Montana and I notice that if I retract all the way or extend all the way I will blow the fuse every time. Therefore I leave them out about a half inch and have no problems.

2008 Ford F-350 Laredo
2009 Montana 1465

Posted By: MottissMT36RL on 04/08/10 07:19am

Papasmurf10 wrote:

I have a 2009 Montana and I notice that if I retract all the way or extend all the way I will blow the fuse every time. Therefore I leave them out about a half inch and have no problems.

I had the same problem so I painted a small white line at both ends of the range of the landing gear on the gear by the control panel. Now I don't cross that line, I haven't blown a fuse since. Don't quite understand if your bottoming the gear out or if it's just a malfunction.

The Rig; 2009 (Dodge 2500 4x4x2 LB; 2008 Montana 3605RL)
Co-pilots: Wendy, Gypsy and Sunnie.
"Life is like a dance, you learn as you go and so is RVing"

Posted By: lock65 on 04/08/10 07:40am

try making sure that your wheel chocks are holding the trailer in place before you lower the landing gear .if th 5er is pushing forward on the legs it may cause them to bind ,also the more you extend the legs the more the angle that you started from changes. hope this helps ,not fun when this kind of thing happens takes the joy out of it..

John & Sofia .Barrie ONT
2005 dodge 3500 4dr drw 4x4
2011 stoneridge 38cf

Posted By: sailor53 on 04/08/10 08:46am

I had the same problem and I corrected it by NEVER extending or retracting to the limit. If I held the switch for any time at all when the limit was reached, the fuse would blow.

The suggestion someone made of painting a white line on the legs to give a line not to cross was a good one. I'll be doing this on mine.

DW Barbara for 15 yrs
08 Ford F350 Lariat, PSD 6.4L, Ext Cab, 4X4, Line-X, DrawTite Signature 18K hitch, RDS 40 gal. Tank/Tool Box Combo, Mor/ryde RS suspension, Garmin Nuvi 465T GPS
09 Montana 3000RK, Mor/Ryde suspension/pinbox, Spendide 2100XC W/D

Posted By: FastEagle on 04/07/10 07:01pm

Are your fuses actually burned out? My Everest has a redundant sustem with a resetting 50 amp circuit breaker and 30 amp in line fuse.

FastEagle

Posted By: mapguy on 04/07/10 09:38pm

I think all the connections need to be checked for proper termination and wire size/length. Resistance could be the issue here if wire is undersized or bad crimps have been done.

Also is your trailer battery charging while traveling? As already posted a low battery charge can cause the symptom.

Probably can replace the fuse with a resettable circuit breaker for convenience but long term need to figure out what is causing the overload condition or you will end up hand cranking sometime. You just might really need dual motors for the weight involved.

A bent leg or over extended leg will also cause the symptoms experienced.

Posted By: gnarlykaw on 04/08/10 04:56am

ok, this might sound stupid, but, at the campground, or on a level surface, does it work fine?? I'm trying to picture this, and if I have it right, you are basicly trying to lift almost the complete weight of the trailer with your landing gear???

Posted By: kbeers33 on 09/17/10 10:51am

I had the same problem with my landing gear. I have a 2008 montana big sky and it has a remote control and a switch to work my landing gear. The switch would not work but the remote would. The rear stabilizers also do the same thing.If it is a fuse where is it. Does anyone have any suggestions

Posted By: JJSTX on 09/17/10 01:42pm

kbeers33 wrote:

I had the same problem with my landing gear. I have a 2008 montana big sky and it has a remote control and a switch to work my landing gear. The switch would not work but the remote would. The rear stabilizers also do the same thing.If it is a fuse where is it. Does anyone have any suggestions

On my Keystone, for the front landing gear, the fuse is located in the very front by the battery. It's an in-line fuse, which means it's built into the wire line. It's probably black with a flip-top to see the fuse. About half the size of a match box. I can't help you with the rear stabilizers. I have no idea if the front and rear work off the same fuse..could be, being they aren't being used at the same time. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Jeremy & Jeanne
Madison (9) & Cody (8)
1 Mini Dach...Ella
2010 Laredo 321BH pulled by a 2007 F250 4x4 PSD W/Firestone air bags.

Posted By: sailor53 on 09/17/10 04:38pm

MottissMT36RL wrote:

Papasmurf10 wrote:

I had the same problem so I painted a small white line at both ends of the range of the landing gear on the gear by the control panel. Now I don't cross that line, I haven't blown a fuse since. Don't quite understand if your bottoming the gear out or if it's just a malfunction.

X2

Posted By: LI Happy Camper on 04/08/10 01:07pm

I have never put the front landing gear all the way to the limit. I believe the limit is much more than 20 inches. When I am just taking the 5th wheel off the truck hitch going about 6 inches the fuse pops.

Posted By: mapguy on 04/08/10 03:19pm

LI Happy Camper wrote:

I have never put the front landing gear all the way to the limit. I believe the limit is much more than 20 inches. When I am just taking the 5th wheel off the truck hitch going about 6 inches the fuse pops.

This leads me back to the circuit resistence issue -wire gauge and connections or weight needs dual motors or a bent leg. Wire gauge should #10.

Posted By: mena661 on 04/08/10 03:25pm

LI Happy Camper wrote:

I blow mine when I retract it all the way.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Posted By: shrkb8t on 04/08/10 05:11pm

When we picked up our Montana last month from the dealer they told me right away "Don't retract or extend the landing gear to the max or you will pop the fuse" I've followed their direction since we've had it home and I have to extend the landing gear on my driveway 20 inches or so as well. I corrected the distance by putting a solid cinder block under the landing gear struts to lessen the distance. Haven't blown a fuse yet (knock on plastic!).

Dan Tracy Kim ('95) Ryan ('98)
2008 F-350 "Dually" 6.4 Liter Diesel King Ranch
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA 5th Wheel
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th Hitch

Posted By: wlstroud on 04/08/10 06:45pm

I agree with the posts mentioning maximum travel and popping the fuse. Also, I found that on my unit the 30 amp fuse is a cartridge type glass fuse. The fuse carrier is bad to cause voltage drop due to high resistance and heat. I replaced my glass type with an ATC socket and fuse. This greatly reduced to blown fuses even when I maxed the travel on the legs.

Larry (WB4WSA) & Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS

Posted By: tbuckjr on 04/09/10 09:19pm

I have this same scenerio in my drive way. I changed the switch it solved the problem. My stock switch had wires for jumpers on the back of the switch. The new switch has copper bus bars built in.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 04/09/10 09:36pm

shrkb8t wrote:

When we picked up our Montana last month from the dealer they told me right away "Don't retract or extend the landing gear to the max or you will pop the fuse" I've followed their direction since we've had it home and I have to extend the landing gear on my driveway 20 inches or so as well. I corrected the distance by putting a solid cinder block under the landing gear struts to lessen the distance. Haven't blown a fuse yet (knock on plastic!).

This is what I would try with lumber not cinder block. Over extending or retracting to far has many posts here. I can't understand the retracting problem, who makes the legs disappear anyway?

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Posted By: gnarlykaw on 04/10/10 04:53am

ok, i got the picture, now lets try something.......first, you need to build two landing gear pads. out of solid wood. piramid style, large, for home use only, about 8-10 inches high. next, two, really good, stout wedges for the trailer tires, mazybe even four of them... now, back it up the driveway, chock the trailer wheels, now the tricky part, get back in the truck, and place it in neutral, still hitched, and take the 'load" out. Put the Ebrake on the truck, and now put it in park. Now, put those new pads under the gear, and raise it again.

my thought now is your in a bind with the gear, because the trailer has too much forward force on the landing gear. you follow me?

Print  |  Close