|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> REPLACE DRUM WITH DISK BRAKE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/10 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in 2006 I had Mor/Ryde installed Dish brakes on Dexter never lube axle 7,000 lob axles. The total cost was $3,093 that was the best option we ever did. I would never buy a 5th wheel without Disk Brakes. If you ever own a 5th wheel with Disk Brake option you want go back to electric. Disk Brakes are so much more efficent, and its like night and day difference in stopping. Upkeep on Disk Brakes is so much cheaper. I do believe also if you don't have enough Truck to stop your 5th wheel without brakes on the 5th wheel you don't have enough Truck. But its my belief you can never have to much Truck but you can have to much 5th wheel. GBY...

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/10 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My plug fell out, and dragged on the highway completly destroying itself. I didn;t know it fell out until I had to stop in a hurry, and no brakes. The controller I had at the time did not warn me. My Hensley TRU CONTROL tells me NO TRAILER DETECTED. Thank God for 4 wheel disc brakes on the TV. So why worry about broken brake lines? Think about no 12 volt power to the brakes. Same thing.

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/10 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good ol Clint, I need to get those DVD's out again. That was a dirty harry statement right? Pale Rider my favorite.
To keep on topic, you had no big grades I take it?

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

R12RTee

Full Timing with a home base in FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/10 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. "A man's got to know his limitations".
I've driven trucks, big trucks, for over 40 years. I know what I can do. Others might have chosen to pull into a rest area. Their decision.

2013 DRV Mobile Suite with HydraLift motorcycle lift
2013 Ford F-450 with a Chariot Hauler body and a Hensley TrailerSaver hitch
2011 BMW R1200RT

R12RTee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/10 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, Harry Callahan said it. "Well, you're a good man, lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations". I still listen to the soundtracks of his westerns. Kinda haunting music but unmistakable for anything but Clints. I still get a kick out of the braying mule sounds on Two Mules for Sister Sara.

I-95 from NYC to SC is fairly flat and on a December weekend not overly crowded. Different conditions would have made me re-think the drive with no trailer brakes.

AGBAT

Tierra Encantada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/10 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about a line breaking carry a spare line, plug, and brake fluid. As a teenager I lost a brake line on my car (hit a rock off-roading). Plugged the line to the one wheel and drove with the other three brakes to get home.

On subject, my electric brakes work just fine, they will lock up if I want them to. Maybe if I had a bigger trailer I would need disc brakes, but as long as the brakes are stopping the trailer why replace them? I know disc are suppose to be better but for my 10,000lb trailer drum work and that is all I need.

Chief Bob

Baytown, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/10 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my own work to install disc on 6,000# Dexter axles. The improved braking is remarkable. I will never own an RV with electric brakes again. I sued stock length tubing from the auto parts and borrowed a small tubing bender from a buddy. I used a Carlisle actuator which required a Prodigy interface att he time. I think the new actuators are compatible with Prodigy. I spent around $2,000 on everything.

Bob Leiper
Retired Fire Chief
Baytown, Texas
2007 GMC C3500 SLT, CC, DRW, D/A, 56 gal tank, added NAV radio
2004 Open Road 357RLDS-5 #3730, Added Disc Brakes, 2nd AC, Doran TPMS
RBW 15K swivel, Prodigy

R12RTee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/10 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scooter Alfa wrote:

Did you guys read about the guy that did this then the tire blew taking the hose out. He ended up with no brakes. So now he said if he had left it electric brakes he would of still had 3 brakes not zero. Food for thought is all

I had a line break from excess vibration. It wasn't secured properly to the axle and broke at the caliper. Although I had no brakes on the trailer I still had the truck brakes. It takes a bit longer to stop but I managed for two days until I could get it repaired. It was a cautious two days, going down I-95 but not an emergency.
I would not give up the hydraulic for electric regardless of the possibility of the loss of brakes. It's rare to have a line break and the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Scooter Alfa

Central Cal

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/10 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Food for thought is all

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/10 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snake_Ize wrote:

Scooter Alfa wrote:

Did you guys read about the guy that did this then the tire blew taking the hose out. He ended up with no brakes. So now he said if he had left it electric brakes he would of still had 3 brakes not zero. Food for thought is all

I had a line break from excess vibration. It wasn't secured properly to the axle and broke at the caliper. Although I had no brakes on the trailer I still had the truck brakes. It takes a bit longer to stop but I managed for two days until I could get it repaired. It was a cautious two days, going down I-95 but not an emergency.
I would not give up the hydraulic for electric regardless of the possibility of the loss of brakes. It's rare to have a line break and the pluses outweigh the minuses.

What ! You ran 2 days without trailer brakes? Be ready if certain people read that. Glad you made it alright.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> REPLACE DRUM WITH DISK BRAKE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS