RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Homeowner's Association Restrictions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Homeowner's Association Restrictions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bogie

Miami, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have just ordered a 2003 Pleasure Way Ford Excel which won't be ready until some time in September. Since I live in a homeowner's association restricted community, I would like to know what experiences anyone else has had with a Class B van (notice I didn't say motorhome)in a similar type of community. Different dealers have told me that several buyers remove the decals indicating the brand, i.e. PW or Roaddtrek.

My association rules state you can't have a recreational vehicle or boat in the driveway, nor can you have a vehicle that is over 21 1/2 feet. Since the PW is 20', I feel I am covered there. And I don't consider it a RV, but a van. In addition, I will be using it as a second vehicle.

Any thoughts?

Sugar Daddy

BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, I can't understand what kind of rule is that!

Somebody has a same problem in this forum.
His & Your only choice is a Roadtrek that doesn't have an Air conditioner out side.

Before you got your PW talk to the management, otherwise maybe you have to store somewhere else.

Class B is a kind of a BAT, sometimes it's an animal, sometimes a bird.
If they say it's an RV, it is.

** Just in case if you have to remove the Stickers(actually you paid for that), use a Hair Dryer.

*This Message was edited on 16-May-02 03:53 PM by Sugar Daddy*

¢¾ Sugar Daddy

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/02 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xplorer is another choice. I also drive my van every day as a second vehicle. Ours is a VAN, not a motorhome.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few suggestions:

Don't start asking the HOA questions just yet. That will only draw their attention.

Get a copy of the rules and see if there is a definition for "recreational vehicle". If there is see if there is a way that you can avoid having your vehicle meet the definition.

Look around the neighborhood to see if there are similar vehicles in other driveways.

HOA rules are enforced in very different ways in different communities. Find out how your association works. Often it is on a complaint basis only. If you are on good terms with your neighbors and talk to them ahead of time you may be able to avoid problems.

If it comes down to a matter of decals and such maybe you could have yours built without them, since it seems to be a custom order.

rob830

Dallas, TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sold our HOA on the fact that our Roadtrek is a conversion van. We removed decals that suggested it is a "motorhome." It helps that we essentially use it as a second vehicle.

captnaselli

Jupiter, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diane, I have gone to court over this issue, spent several hundreds of dollars, and still can not park my Trail-Lite Class B 21 foot VAN in the driveway. The State of Florida where I live classifies my unit as a van, it is registered as such, but I lost my case to the association. THIS IS THE REASON I AM SELLING THIS RV, and believe me if where I live was not so close to where I work, I would of told them all to go to hell! I realize that some members of this forum think we are crazy to live like this, but it is my choice. Some of the other restrictions are motorcycles, vans, trucks, and on and on in nausea including children under the age of 16. We knew this before we bought, but it was worth the year we spent on the road traveling West. captnaselli@adelphia.net

waldo

Dawson

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 17' Roadtrek 170 with a (not totally dependent on purchase) hope that we could park it in our driveway at our leisure. Parking it in the driveway was simply for our own convenience since we intended to find year ‘round storage anyway. However, with a, “they couldn’t possibly complain about this,” attitude, we said nothing to our association or our neighbors beforehand. But, the day after we brought it home and parked it in our driveway we got an ‘exploratory’ call from our association manager to say that our next-door neighbor had called to ask about the rules for parking ‘motorhomes’ on the property. The rule on recreation vehicles is they can visit for 48hours without movement. This is fairly easy for us to live with, but the, seeming, ‘immediate prejudice’ we felt against us for parking our ‘camper van’ in the driveway makes us happy that we considered living with storage beforehand. Based on this, my advice is to consider ‘worst case’ beforehand and then be prepared to deal with it.

Gone for the weekend. Play safe.

Bob Karr

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our HOA has a similar restriction, yet I see conversion vans & commercial vans (there's a rep for Blue Coral who lives 'round the corner). We don't own a Class B, yet. We're looking to purchase a unit and, like you, are interested in learning how others have handled this situation. From my view-point, these B's are Van conversions and if licensed by a State as a Van then the sourpusses have no legitimate gripe. It would seem to me the association would have to file a legal complaint first. From what I've read, the HOA's have been losing most of their court cases - especially the ones based on aesthetics. We have a classic car parked in our drive-way under a protective cover. Two policemen who live in the neighborhood (one was on the board at the time)told me that as long as the license is current it is not a stored vehicle (which is prohibited). The association board didn't like that answer and would send out a letter every few months, we'd ignore them. Now no more letters. Similar situation with the van conversion. Good luck!

BK

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 02:39 PM by Bob Karr*

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 02:40 PM by Bob Karr*

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 02:40 PM by Bob Karr*

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 02:44 PM by Bob Karr*

Braddah007

Ca USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/02 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we removed the stickers on our 170 and try to keep the curtains shut
hopefully this will work out for us
braddah

Andy D

Round Rock, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/02 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far, no one has brought our "VAN" up in any of the discussions of our reviewing committee, which I am a member of. There are other van conversions that are parked in the driveways in our neighborhood and no one has voiced any opposition to them. The rule that I am hanging my hat on is that it is our second vehicle, and we use it as such. I also park it with the back facing the back yard and keep the curtains closed. I have had the 200P since March and do not anticipate any problems.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Homeowner's Association Restrictions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS