|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lake Thunderbird State Park - OK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
cfilidoro

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/10 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes - we did make it - thanks for the good directions. We pulled in about 2:30, spot 15 in Hickory Hill. There's a Cyclone toy hauler between us and the lake, maybe that's who was behind you. We were able to walk the kayak right to the lake this morning. Great park.

2009 McKenzie DuneChaser 40SKT
toy: XT-912 AirBorne Trike

leaddog

All over the USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/10 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, so did you make it to Lake Thunderbird? We left yesterday late in the afternoon and only saw one 3 axle trailer and they parked right behind us.

2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2006 Saturn Vue

leaddog

All over the USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/10 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are presently camped at Lake Thunderbird and I would highly recommend that you arrive on Wed or early Thursday in order to get a site. It fills up very quickly by Friday and you will have less of a choice.

We are 37ft and fit into most of the sites. It's the luck of the draw what is available when you get here. Wish you luck.

cfilidoro

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/10 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks leaddog - which camping section are you in? Looks like there are 3 - Indian Bay, Clear Point, and Sandy Lake. I'm having trouble finding clear information on this park!

leaddog

All over the USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/10 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are camped in the Hickory Hill part of Lake Thunderbird. The campgrounds are in three different locations. One east of LT, one south of LT and one sort of north of LT. Hickory hill is the one north. The campground is right on the lake on the Norman side.

If you take Alameda Ave directly east to the park and turn left at the "Dead End" sign you will find the cg a mile or so down the road. The attached url has a good map of the campground on the first page.

Lake Thunderbird

The better sites are at the end of Hickory Hill. There are a few 50amp sites on the top of the hill and more 30amp sites below.

If you are driving up from Dallas on I-35, I would advise you to exit on Rt-9 east and drive to 48th Ave SE and make a left turn onto 48th. Take it to Alameda and turn right. Stay on Alameda until you get to the park. Watch your speed, since they patrol this road ALL the time and will nail you if you are speeding.

If you want more info, send me a PM and I will help you if I can.

* This post was edited 04/26/10 10:53am by leaddog *

beulahwareagle

alabama

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/10 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It probably doesn't apply to you, but we stayed there in a tent for a night last year. the restrooms/showers were the worst I have ever seen as far as being both filthy and broken.

Chris, Molley(12), Ryan(8)
2003 Toyota 4Runner 4wd, wherever we want to go

cfilidoro

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/10 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would like to stay at Lake Thunderbird next week (in Norman, Oklahoma). We're kinda big (42') so we're concerned that they will have a site that we can fit into. I called the park and they said they can accommodate a rig that long, but since they don't take reservations I'm a little hesitant. Does anyone have any experience with this park and site availability? We would arrive on Wed or Thursday with the hope that the site selection would be better. I’d appreciate any insight!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lake Thunderbird State Park - OK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS