|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Ford V10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mommyme

california

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone,
we are still looking for "our" RV. I just had someone tell me that the Ford V10 engines are trouble. Anyone have any imput for me.....please :0)
Thanks

BaldyD1

Central Florida area

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the year produced. There were some early Ford V-10s that did have a slight tendency to blow-out a plug. Believe that V-10s produced after 2000 had the problem corrected. There should be no problem with a 2002 or later produced V-10. We purchased a 2002 motor home with a V-10 and had no problem with the engine. Good lock and safe travels.

Speedy, Jackie & Dusty {Shih-Tzu/Maltese}
2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3912
2005 Saturn Vue (dinghy)

Doug360

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do a search on this site:
--- http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/ --

You will find a wealth of information regarding the V10.
There are issues with the possiblity of spark plugs blowing out of the head, especially in the older ones. Also with manifold bolts shearing.

However basically the V10 is a solid engine that will, with proper maintenace last a lot longer than the coach portion of the motorhome.

I have a V10 in my Class C and am very happy with the power, gas mileage, and smoothness of this engine.

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had three RV and TV with the V10 and each one was trouble free. IMHO the V10 is the best gas eng that I have ever owned and that has been many

samsontdog

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no guarantees, of course, and the V-10 has had a few issues like any other engine, but, overall, the engine will likely long outlast the rest of the coach.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mommyme wrote:

we are still looking for "our" RV. I just had someone tell me that the Ford V10 engines are trouble. Anyone have any imput for me
The V10 engine was introduced in 1997 or 1998. Even with the problems it had, it was still better than the engine it replaced. I think most people would agree with me on that.

As the years went on, the Ford chassis, engine, transmission, all improved along the way. Which is the best Ford chassis? The newest one. But there are time markers worth noting. Working backwards, I hope I am accurate here.

2008-2010
chassis improvements.....
- it can carry a heavier load
- it has slightly larger disk brakes
- it has a slightly redesigned suspension for improved handling
- it is easily identified by it's restyled front that resembles a dump truck with a chrome grill.

2006-2007 (maybe 2005 too)
improved transmission

2003-2010 (maybe 2002 as well)
Ford incresed the quantity of spark plug threads in the engine heads. With more threads, the spark plugs problem was completely resolved.

1998-2002 (maybe 1997)
V10 engine was introduced

prior to 1997
??????

My brother bought a used 21 foot motor home a year ago with about 60,000 miles. It is built on a 1998 Ford E350 chassis with V10 engine. So far so good for them. I recently discovered his 1998 E350 chassis has rear drum brakes. My 2007 Ford E350 chassis has rear disk brakes. I don't know when that improvement was made.

The Ford chassis is most popular, and it completely captures the market today with larger class-C motor homes for the E450's ability to carry a heavier house on it's back. It is much more load capable than GM/Chevy or Dodge. And it's V10 engine is well powered to move it and also to tow something behind it.

I should also mention, the GM/Chevy chassis is good too. But you won't find them used for the bigger models. Worth mentioning, the GM/Chevy has a 9 inch longer nose, increasing over-all length by that much, given identical houses. It's drive train is good, and it has better leg room too.

The Dodge Sprinter diesel chassis is well suited for smaller motor homes offering great fuel economy. It's limited load capability and significanlty less horse power prevents it from being used for larger motor home applications, and it's a strain to tow something behind. It pretty much has captivated the small RV market, forcing GM out of the picture, and reducing the popularity of the Ford E350, lighter-duty chassis.

Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350 Seen Here is available today on both a Dodge Sprinter and Ford E350 chassis. Both have their positive points. The Dodge for a 50% improvement in fuel economy (15 mpg), the E350 (10 mpg) for speed, power, towing, and will carry 2500 pounds more of you and your stuff.

* This post was last edited 05/11/10 04:17pm by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford 6.8L modular V-10 engine is bulletproof like all Ford modular engines. The spark plug issue was resolved early in the production run. The current version of this engine (362 HP, 457 ft Lbs torque) is the best gas towing engine available today.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

revdsid

Kalamazoo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/10 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someday, you may have to replace those plugs and coils-- it will cost a major bundle-- but until then-- mine is so quiet that sometimes I think it has stalled-- and when I pass someone on a merge with a 30 foot bread box-- why I feel so Detroit once again.

gone2dadesert

Encinitas, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mommyme wrote:

Hi everyone,
we are still looking for "our" RV. I just had someone tell me that the Ford V10 engines are trouble. Anyone have any imput for me.....please :0)
Thanks

Specifically, which year are you asking about ?

IMHO, I believe 2006 and newer seem to be the better years.

2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

mommyme

california

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always great info!! Thank You!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Ford V10