RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A new wide-axle wheel chock is coming to town...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A new wide-axle wheel chock is coming to town...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
chrispitude

Saylorsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks,

BAL has a new X-chock on the way for wide-axle trailers:

BAL X-tended Fit X-Chock

Quote:

The same great features of the original X-Chock in a wider application. Extends up to 17" to accommodate wide track axle spacing commonly found on Bullet, LaCrosse, PrimeTime, Passport, etc.

This is a great approach because it does not require ground contact. One can be used on each side, even if one side is up on leveling blocks. We pick up our Heartland North Trail 21FBS in a few weeks, and I'll be buying two of these when they come out. I am a big Rotochock fan, but they were not an option with the North Trail's wide axles.

- Chris

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pair of the regular X chocks and really like them.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

WOW at around $45 each they are really proud of those and I guess they serve a purpose in some unique situations, but I've never seen a need for them or to store, put them in and then tighten them. My $8 for 4 of the cheapo plastic chocks along with a 10" piece of 2x6 if needed has served me well for the last 35 years of TT camping. Mine also never rust, require maintenace/greasing and weigh almost nothing along with taking up almost no storage space.

Anyway different strokes for different folks.

Larry

* This post was edited 05/12/10 06:20pm by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

DocP

Brunswick, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good news, indeed, and thanks for the heads'up! I always used a pair of the regular BAL's on past TT's, but they wouldn't work on my newer Keystone.

2011 Crossroads Tranquility TP40MK park model
2008 Keystone Freedom Lite 281RL
2004 Chevy Avalanche, 5.3L, 3.73:1, 4X4,
Auxiliary transmission oil cooler,
Z71 off-road towing package
Reese Trunnion WD, Dual Cam, Prodigy
Yamaha EF2400IS generator

chrispitude

Saylorsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

WOW at around $45 each they are really proud of those and I guess they serve a purpose in some unique situations, but I've never seen a need for them or to store, put them in and then tighten them. My $8 for 4 of the cheapo plastic chocks along with a 10" piece of 2x6 if needed has severed me well for the last 35 years of TT camping. Mine also never rust, require maintenace/greasing and weigh almost nothing along with taking up almost no storage space.

Larry

Hi Larry,

A 10" piece of 2x6 won't go very far when the axles are spaced 24" apart. The newer wide-axle trailers require a bit more to chock them. While the cheapo plastic chocks will indeed keep the trailer from rolling away, they never stabilized the trailer's rocking to my satisfaction. Locking the wheels solid improved the trailer stability noticeably.

For the money I spent on the tow vehicle and trailer, $45 is not asking too much if it provides a tangible and perceptible benefits. It's certainly less than I paid for my ProPride hitch.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great news for those with the extra wide gap between their axles. I have BAL stab & scissor jacks and their deluxe locking chocks and all have performed well over the years.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 02:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrispitude wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

WOW at around $45 each they are really proud of those and I guess they serve a purpose in some unique situations, but I've never seen a need for them or to store, put them in and then tighten them. My $8 for 4 of the cheapo plastic chocks along with a 10" piece of 2x6 if needed has severed me well for the last 35 years of TT camping. Mine also never rust, require maintenace/greasing and weigh almost nothing along with taking up almost no storage space.

Larry

Hi Larry,

A 10" piece of 2x6 won't go very far when the axles are spaced 24" apart. The newer wide-axle trailers require a bit more to chock them. While the cheapo plastic chocks will indeed keep the trailer from rolling away, they never stabilized the trailer's rocking to my satisfaction. Locking the wheels solid improved the trailer stability noticeably.

For the money I spent on the tow vehicle and trailer, $45 is not asking too much if it provides a tangible and perceptible benefits. It's certainly less than I paid for my ProPride hitch.

Then you don't understand what I posted since what I use will work just as good regardless of the distance between the axles. The 10" piece of 2x6 is to put under the wheel on either side of the axle and use the cheapo ramp to get a good angle on the board against the wheel when extra support is needed.

Larry

wdcd

dacula GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a set out of 2X4 and a threaded rod. Had the 2x laying around and spent $5 on the hardware. Made the camper rock solid. Check threads on here as this is where I got the info on how to build them. this is the pic I got from here and what they look like. Mine are much larger as my wheels are 15" apart.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

tvman44 wrote:

WOW at around $45 each they are really proud of those and I guess they serve a purpose in some unique situations, but I've never seen a need for them or to store, put them in and then tighten them. My $8 for 4 of the cheapo plastic chocks along with a 10" piece of 2x6 if needed has served me well for the last 35 years of TT camping. Mine also never rust, require maintenace/greasing and weigh almost nothing along with taking up almost no storage space.

Larry

Larry do you have any pictures? I don't understand how your set up compares to the other devices either. Are you able to crank your boards somehow to create additional tension on the tires?

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

Then you don't understand what I posted since what I use will work just as good regardless of the distance between the axles. The 10" piece of 2x6 is to put under the wheel on either side of the axle and use the cheapo ramp to get a good angle on the board against the wheel when extra support is needed.

...And you don't understand some things very well either, if you're trying to suggest that placing 2x6 wood blocks in front of and in back of the axles can secure the trailer from rocking as well as X chocks like is being discussed here.

As one thats used your approach to chocking the weels as well as numerous between-the-wheel chocks (including a form of the X chocks being noted here)....Suffice it to say, there is NO comparison. The X chocks (or really any between-the-wheel type chock) do a MUCH better job of holding things steady, and are usually much easier to set up and take off.

Only way boards and the cheapo ramp would come close to working as good as an X chock, is if you pull the trailer forward up onto one chock in front, then place one in back to put tension on the tire and force it into a tight 'cradle' between the two chocks. Thats a lot of extra work, though, that you also have to do when breaking camp.

If you're willing to do all that every time you set up and break camp just to save a few $$, knock yourself out. But, there *are* easier and better ways for those that aren't stuck on using the same methods that were used 50 years ago.

Anyway, back to the subject: Yeah, I saw these new chocks on BAL's web page a few weeks ago. Glad to see they finally came out with something for all these newer trailer that have the axles spaced further apart. Also saw they have a newer, improved version of the regular X chocks, that look pretty cool, too.

I still use the 'redneck' between the wheel chocks made from 4x4 wood posts cut up and threaded rod. Actually been thinking about scrapping them and getting a pair of the regular X chocks, though. Main reasons being, the X chocks would be lighter, take up considerably less storage space, and would be a little easier to deploy. That, and the threaded rod on my 'redneck' chocks is starting wear out.

Well, thanks for posting this, Chris. I think this will be a welcome site to owners of newer trailers that have the axles spaced further out.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> A new wide-axle wheel chock is coming to town...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS