|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Aux switch to use chassis batteries for generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/10 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your house batteries are too low on charge to start the generator, can you use the auxiliary start buitton to supply juice to the generator, or is it a one way switch, and only to use the house batteries to start the engine. This is on a 2005 Seneca 35 GS.

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/10 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my rig the its a simple solenoid which either connects or disconnects - don't think it gives a rip about which way. Before I would use this to start the generator I would start the rig motor - the alternator should keep you from depleting the battery and be left stranded ( a really bad thing )

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/10 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with KSG5000 regarding starting the rig engine before trying the generator. Being stranded can be a bad thing unless the fly fishing is really good....

Depending on where your jenny is located, having the rig alternator contributing can help a balky jenny to start because the higher voltage will spin the starter faster. If your jenny is located as was our last one, the long run of cable made for a significant voltage drop.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/10 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starting and running my engine usually provides enough current through the isolator, to start the generator (or move the slideouts) when the house batteries don't quite have what it takes. It may not, if the house batteries are fully run down (in which case, my "boost" relay also does not work, because it energizes from the house batteries).

That's the way Winnebago wired the 12V connections, Jayco may do it differently.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bob N Deb

B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/10 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this problem a while ago where the gen wouldn't start from the house batteries . On my mtorhome the aux switch is supposed to work both ways but, I hooked the gen up to the engine battery and it has started great ever since. I know that the gen and the engine charge the house battery but only the engine(on my unit)charges the engine battery I have never camped long enough for the engine battery to go down . but the house does after a couple of days.

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/10 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always start the engine before the gen to give that little extra boost also. I have found the house batts go down pretty quickly especially if you don't run the engine at least every couple of weeks and drive a few miles to build up.

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/10 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the input, now a how to question. After the engine is running, I assume you push the auxiliary button on the dash, and then go start the genny. After it starts, do you push the auxiliary button again to close the juicee from the engine to the genny?

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/10 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kysurveyor wrote:

Thank you for all the input, now a how to question. After the engine is running, I assume you push the auxiliary button on the dash, and then go start the genny. After it starts, do you push the auxiliary button again to close the juicee from the engine to the genny?

The relays are magnetic contact as soon as you release the momentary switch it should disengage.

If your MH is wired like mine (and most others), the Truck engine charges the house battery(s) AND at a much higher output than the Genny and standard converter (approx 105 Amps for truck VS 35 - 55 for the Genny & Converter). Of course wiring guage, length can make differences.

Unless you need to start the Genny right away to run some 120V appliance, a quick charge from the truck Alternator for 10 - 15 minutes to quick charge the house battry(s) then just start the Genny like normal (not having to push the jump start button) and then continue charging the house battery from the genny to 80% (if your dry camping) which will take 2 - 3 hours depending on the SOC of the house battery.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

FX21QB

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/10 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, sounds like you would need to hold the aux switch in WHILE holding the Gen start button if you wanted to start the Gen straight from the motor battery. Sounds like a two person job unless you have really, really long arms!

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/10 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to do that one time. I wadded up a piece of paper and jammed it under one side of the aux switch.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kids (1&1/2 German Shepherds)
2007 Winnebago Outlook WF331C on a Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis
2010 Subaru Forester w/BlueOx baseplate & Ready Brute Elite towbar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Aux switch to use chassis batteries for generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: