|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> ceiling panel replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dbnov

home

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/10 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to replace a couple of ceiling panels because of water damage and I doubt that I can find exact replacement panels what is everybody using as replacement panels?

KEBrown

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a TearDrop in 2006 and I used Luan. Then i epoxied carpet to the ceiling for insulation and noise protection; some just paint it. Today, you can even find 4x8 sheets of poly material and they wont rot, however, if you have a leak, doesn't matter what you have; you'll have to take it down most likely to "fix" the problem. The key to luan is lots of glue and clamps and/or screws, closely spaced, because it's so thin it will buckle, etc. if not properly fastened. You maybe could use 1/4" ply but it would be quite heavy and awkward to install. I'd cut out your bad spot and insert and new material of same thickness, epoxy the joint, feather out and the repaint the ceiling. If you change ANY thickness you'll have to replace the WHOLE ceiling and that could become very time consuming.

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/10 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x8 sheets of plastic at Lowes 17.00.

JRandall

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/10 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just rebuilt a trailer...also with ceiling damage. I used luan, as did KEBrown. It was a different texture and of course a different color. To solve that, I put textured, paintable wallpaper on the entire ceiling and painted it semi-gloss white. One way to fix variances in depth is by strategically installing trim strips to cover them up. One could then repeat that same pattern, whether needed or not, elsewhere on the ceiling to create a match.

nagel

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/10 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I've seen some use is the plastic sheets used in home showers. They can be purchased at most home improvement stores - Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Snagel

Steven R. Nagel

HEMIDAZE

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/10 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After about a year of failing to find the leak in my trailer I finally cut a hole in my ceiling during a two day rain. The leak was about 4 feet from where it was coming through the ceiling. Anyhow, I went to my local dealer to see if they had anything. They said they would order me a 4 x 8 sheet from the factory for $35 plus $125 shipping. I passed and sold the trailer as is (with the leak fixed)

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 31RB
2011 HHR (picture coming)

steppinstone

plymouth ma.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello dbnov I am in the process of redoing my parents motor coach do to major water damage and found a place in elkhart indiana called tape technology the vynil paper that is on your ceiling just covers 1/8 sheet of plywood . the paper is self adherd but costly it comes in 48"wide by 150'but you can purchase it in half rolls . hope this helps

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok how about this, get a little creative. First: Are you going to keep the trailer ? How much putting forth effort, kind of guy are you ? Do you anticipate ever taking the ceiling down. These wall panels at Lowes are pebbled on one side & smooth on the other and they are water proof. A solid cut to fit Styrofoam insulation in space above would be a sure benifet on those hot days when you ac is trying to keep you cool. If maybe they would have to come down latter on (???) then screws would be the answer. Now how to cover the edges where the screws are attached, you would shurally ask. How about a very shallow fake wood beam stained to match your cabinets from one side to the other. They would only have to be fastened in about three places, each end & in the center, thus could be removed to get to the plastic panel screws underneath. If panels are to shinny, scuff with a fine grade of sand paper. OR even paste over with a ceiling appropriate wallpaper. Whach'ya think ????

John H

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> ceiling panel replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS