RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fix for squeaky back window?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Fix for squeaky back window?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
weedlady

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/10 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '94 RT Independent on a Dodge 350.
The back window Squeaks going down the road- alot! Driving me insane.

I can see what the problem is...one of the latches seems to be loose and is not holding the window tight. Latch on the other side is just fine.

Is there a way to adjust or tighten this window latch? Or any other ideas?

thanks
Martha

senf

Nanaimo,BC,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/10 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a back end squeak on our 1996 RT versatile. Could never find it, until my eldest son visited and rode in the back. One trip around the block and he identified it as the passenger side back door rubbing on the the bottom of the door frame. Check out your door frame for shiny metal rub spots and lightly grease them if you find any. If it is the window, try clamping it with a small G clamp to close it properly.

"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming it's a hinged latch, it depends on where the latch is loose. If it's loose at either of the attachment points (metal window frame, or window glass), it should be possible to tighten the screws or bolts. You may need larger screws or re-threading of the holes.

But if the hinge point is loose, you'd maybe need to remove the hinge pin, drill the holes out to the next oversize, and replace the pin with something larger. Depending on the latch's construction, this could be a $$ machine-shop job.

I dunno if it's a RT addition, or a Dodge OEM part (I suspect it's OEM). But maybe best to check with Dodge or RT and ask if the latches are still available, and get a new one.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weedlady - If you need a new latch and they're not available from the Dodge dealer, you might check with a good body shop and see if they have parts sources to recommend, such as auto salvage yards. But it sounds like just some tightening of screws may solve your problem.

weedlady

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will try to locate a new latch, but it will have to wait until after our trip to da UP for Memorial Day.
In the meantime, I've put a thin piece of rubber between the glass and the window gasket, hoping that will tighten things up perhaps make it better.
thanks again,
Martha

landyacht318

Near a large body of water

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your window latches are the same as on my '89 Dodge, they are adjustable. They are held into place by 3 screws. Loosen these three screws a couple turns, and the whole base which attaches to the door can move around a half in in any direction.

Move it down to tighten the window against rubber gasket.

weedlady

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

landyacht318 wrote:

If your window latches are the same as on my '89 Dodge, they are adjustable. They are held into place by 3 screws. Loosen these three screws a couple turns, and the whole base which attaches to the door can move around a half in in any direction.

Move it down to tighten the window against rubber gasket.

Oh good thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll give that a try first to see if that will fix it.
thanks again to all
Martha

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Fix for squeaky back window?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS