RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 278  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

I use the blue Sta-Bil it is intended for ethanol gas. Not as easy to find as the old red Sta_Bil.

I was at Pep Boys yesterday and picked up some Mobil 1 that was on sale. For poop and giggles, I stopped in the "additives" aisle to price Sat-Bil. I noticed they had the blue and the red varieties. I read the instructions on both bottles and if my aging mind serves me correctly, the red will also treat and prevent deterioration of ethanol blended fuels. I don't know if there's more of a chemical difference between the two versions of the treatment or if it's the dye and higher cost only.

Angus_NB

Riverview, NB Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Sta-Bil is for Marine. The Sta-Bil for Ethenol (non-marine) fuel is orange with a yellow label.

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2009 KZ Spree 261RKS
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

UncleDonald

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a new Champ 2000 at Costco in Colorado Springs for $490. It is the red one. Put in oil and gas and it started on the first pull.
The only change I would make is to add a small door to access the oil filler/dip stick. Also took quite a while to put the oil in waiting for it to run in. An angle change on the filler tube would take care of that little problem.
Started on the first pull and runs pretty quiet. Now just need to plug it into the trailer and see how it does running lights and appliances. Will keep you posted. Don

Bernadette Shoe

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Angus_NB wrote:

In Canada, or at lest my area, Shell and Petro-Can don't put ethanol in there regular grade gasoline, 87 octane.

In my hood, Petro-Can has 10% of whatever garbage they put in. I stopped by Esso and discovered that the cheap stuff (regular gasoline) has 10%, the mid-grade has 5% and the premium stuff has none of that garbage. I'll stop by Shell to find out what's the story.

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

professor95 wrote:

toprudder wrote:

It is possible to get gasoline without ethanol. Check with a local oil company to see if they have it available. There is one company south of where I live that keeps a tank of ethanol-free gasoline.

Bob - You just reminded me that the marinas we have visited on Lake Anna have ethanol free gasoline. It is considerably more expensive but most likely due to the location rather than the mix. That is the ONLY place in and around RIC VA that I recall seeing pure gas.
I have a local gas station in town that sells ethanol-free gas and it is considerably more expensive than the station across the street, between $.20-$.30/gallon more. I fear it is a Federal thing and not as much to do with location. It is still available, but you are punished for using it. The station that sells non-ethanol gas is very much a "local" company, vs. the large chain station across the street.

Incidentally, I am about to run a can of Seafoam through my vehicle as part of my maintenance plan, and do not relish the thought of paying for 93 octane of "real" gas for a 22 gallon tank at $4.69/gal when regular (read, 10% ethanol) 87 octane is only $3.49/gal here. But, that's my choice and I live with it.

But, for the generators, I filled up all of my storage cans with real gas and added Sta-bil. I am sure the ethanol version of Sta-bil works reasonably well, but I just don't want to start with gas that already wants to attract moisture more than real gas.

And you guys got me rolling on a little pet project now, talking about storing gas for future use. I just picked up a pair of jerry cans yesterday as a restoration project that will be part of my on-hand supply, and likely when going out dry camping. They were in use during the Vietnam era, and will probably return to active use shortly. Sadly, the poor things haven't benefited from the CARB restrictions, I mean, improvements. Liquids actually flow out of them (who knew gas cans could do that anymore). Ok, rant off.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Duganoz

Dearborn, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just saw these generators at Costco. Airstream forums had some info but the deal breaker was a youtube video. Guy compared them in the real world and the CPE failed compared to the Honda. The load capability was clearly not there with the CPE. You can ruin alot of tools and equipemnt with low voltage/amperage. Saving $500 might just cost you thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce & Nichole
09' F150
2012 Evergreen-Everlite 34BHK-DS

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duganoz wrote:

I just saw these generators at Costco. Airstream forums had some info but the deal breaker was a youtube video. Guy compared them in the real world and the CPE failed compared to the Honda. The load capability was clearly not there with the CPE. You can ruin alot of tools and equipemnt with low voltage/amperage. Saving $500 might just cost you thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

We've gone in circles about the Honda-to-Champion comparisons since they came out. Yes, compared side by side, if you demand 100% out of them 100% of the time they don't match up.

However, most people do not use their small inverter gensets to 100% of their capacity 100% of the time, or even 50% of the time. Many people want them just to putter away quietly running a TV, or charging a few batteries - a mere small percentage of their rated capacity. In these situations, the Champion wins hands down simply from the price perspective. I'm not interested in paying twice as much for a generator that serves a need that I may never require.

To suggest that you could "ruin" things by using it with a Champion inverter is a stretch. The only concern I would personally have is trying to run an A/C with a sagged voltage, but physically damaging anything else by simply using this generator is a BIG stretch - when you reach the limits, it kicks off, simple.

* This post was edited 02/25/12 09:03am by PrivatePilot *

30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duganoz wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

You have read the entire thread?

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

MrRchitty

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duganoz wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

If it is the video I am thinking of, he grossly maxes out the generators. That is not my intent, purpose, or need. If that is what you need to do, then buy the Honda. If not, take the same dollars, buy two CPE's and get more power. It is all in what your needs are. I am sure the Honda's voltage will dip as well when loaded like that. My house does a little dip when I turn on the table saw. This part is an UN educated statement, but, a little dip in voltage during start up is not going to hurt the tool. It is running it on low voltage would cause over heating and the tools inability to cool itself. JMHO.

Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrRchitty wrote:

If that is what you need to do, then buy the Honda. If not, take the same dollars, buy two CPE's and get more power.

Exactly. I know perhaps it's not realistic for a new member, or someone just coming into this thread after 100+ pages to read back through it all where this exact scenario has been hashed out, but we're beating a dead horse with the Champion-Vs-Honda discussion.

The above statement pretty much sums it up nicely. The only argument that the Honda crowd comes back with is "I don't have to carry two generators", but that's also been debated plenty of times - when I carry two, I have a lot more power than the Honda guys. When I don't NEED that much power (which is most of the time!) I only carry one, at half the cost of the Honda.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 278  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS