|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RUBBER ROOF MAINTANCE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've washed the rubber roof on my '97 5er in sig one time BUT I do check the lap sealent and the roof conditions twice a year. I've had to add a bit of lap sealent in '05 and just last month to a couple of foot long hairline sealent cracks. Zero leaks. Very trouble free compared to years ago with galvanized steel roof panels and then later aluminum roofing material which due to stretching and shrinking with heat and cold required more maintenance.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

indyroadrunner

Brownsburg In

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The man upstairs sees my roof more than I do and he hasn't complained yet. I have washed with Dawn dishwashing liquid per DiCor suggestion after I was parked under a tree that donated a lot of sap.

06 3400RL Montana w/Trail Air King Pin
01 Bichon CEO

TopSail Hill Preserve cult member Now member of St Andrews SP Cult

JR45

Warren/OR/USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wash and clean my rubber roof two times a year with Dawn dish soap, 2 years ago did all joints with Eterabond Roof tape because i have better things to do than caulk the roof, now i just check it. I keep a part roll with me and a can of EternaClean spray, and 2" seam roller JR
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
98 Honda Accord Toad

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ Great info - thanks.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Keep in mind that your roof does NOT have to look like an operating room at the hospital! It functions quite well with a few spots or a pluthera of stains!

From "mydrv.net" One of the better articles I've ever found regarding EDPM and TPO roofing!

"This article will focus on two types of roofing materials – EPDM and TPO. The two leading distributors of these rubber roof systems are Dicor Corporation and Alpha Systems, both located in Elkhart, Indiana.

EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. This type of rubber roofing membrane is made to last 20 years and has a 10 to 12 year guarantee, depending on the brand. EPDM is one of the most versatile and long lasting materials ever manufactured for outdoor exposure. Most RV industry experts consider EPDM the most dependable, most cost effective and easiest to maintain roofing material. EPDM is described as “ideal for outdoor applications because of its excellent resistance to ultra-violet light, ozone, oxidants and severe weather conditions”. EPDM roofing membrane oxidizes slowly. In a dozen years it may only oxidize 10% of its thickness. This oxidation is what causes the white-gray or gray streaks that run down the sides of RV’s – especially in heavy dew or light rain. EPDM also becomes very slippery when wet.

TPO – Thermal Poly Olefin – was introduced to the RV and Marine Industries in 1994. It is resistant to algae, mold, fungus, and other biological agents. The chemistry of TPO allows for no chalk residue or degradation of the membrane through its useful life. The TPO membranes are non-skid when wet and therefore are used frequently as floor covering in the pontoon boat industry as well. The chemical additives used in TPO for protection from UV light are not self-sacrificing. Instead, they operate in a regenerative fashion as they interfere with the degradation reactions that occur from UV light exposure. Some features of TPO are the advanced polymer technology, weight reduction and easy installation due to its soft and pliable nature. TPO carriers a 12 year manufacturers’ warranty.

There are different opinions when it comes to cleaning and protecting rubber roofs, but everyone agrees that EPDM’s solvent and oil resistance is poor. Care and maintenance instructions from both manufacturers have the following warning: “DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or Citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof”

The percentage of petroleum distillates doesn’t matter. THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUM DISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED. Laboratory tests conducted evaluated the effect of a leading RV ‘roof treatment’ product on EPDM roofing membrane using standard sunlamp and immersion testing procedures. The ‘roof treatment’, which contained petroleum distillates, caused a 63% mass change (swelling). Petroleum distillates soak in and cause the adhesive to loosen and the membrane to balloon. Then, when the ballooning goes down, the rubber roof may never again adhere properly or completely. Don’t be fooled by names such as “organic solvent”, “hydrocarbon carrier”, etc. Petroleum distillates by any name should NEVER be applied to EPDM. If you aren’t sure about a product, contact the manufacturer and request a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Look under the section entitled “Hazardous Ingredients”. If it lists any petroleum distillates, do not use it on EPDM.

To maintain your warranty, all that is required is periodic cleaning at least 3 to 4 times per year. What you use is wide open as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates, harsh abrasives, or delaminane (citrus based cleaners). Dicor recommends a non-abrasive type cleaner such as RC 100TM, Borax or DawnTM and a medium to stiff brush. Alpha Systems recommends using a household cleaner such as CometTM, Spic-N-SpanTM, Ajax TM, etc. They say to use a medium-bristled scrub brush in place of a sponge because the EPDM rubber roofing material is not smooth like fiberglass. For more stubborn stains, i.e. oak leaves, pine sap, mold or mildew, the use of a kitchen cleanser with bleach, such as TilexTM or Soft ScrubTM can help. Monoethalomine is also very effective, non-abrasive and minimizes the effort in removing oxidation, pitch, sap, mold and mildew, as well as berry stains from birds and trees. A quick rinse with chlorine (bleach) is necessary to kill the mildew spores and retard their regrowth. Caution should be exercised when washing your roof to prevent cleaners from running down the sides since this could cause streaking. Always pre rinse your RV sides before you rinse your roof. On TPO roofing, Alpha Systems suggests using Murphy’s Oil SoapTM with a soft nylon brush or sponge. DO NOT USE SOLID OR GRANULATED CLEANERS on TPO, AS THEY WILL MAR THE NATURAL FINISH. A good thorough cleaning with some elbow grease, along with the oil soap should keep your roof looking good and remove most stains. Again, any non-granulated, non-abrasive cleaner may be used as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates or delaminane (citrus).

Protecting rubber roofs is s topic of great debate. Per Dicor’s web site, “the guarantee does not require the use of any protective ‘roof treatment’ or ‘roof protector’ product and recommends only cleaning”. This is consistent with both Dicor and Alpha Systems. However, Dicor states that when the roof no longer looks good to “clean the area and treat it with a product that will repel soiling and is safe for EPDM”. Both Dicor and Alpha Systems stated that they have never had issue with any protectant provided that it contained NO PETROLEUM DISTILLATES."

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had 4 motor homes and now have a fiver. This is our first rubber roof. I had more problems with one MH manufacture than I've had with our present roof. The fiberglass on the MH would come out where it met the side walls and needed to be checked every six months and re-caulks. We do clean the rubber roof, usually just with water and check the caulk. I just just did it and found some small crakes in the caulk around some fitting, took minutes to fix. First time in 3 years.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 118

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my rubber roof washed in an unnatural way two years ago after 8 yrs of natural rain washing. Still not sure why I had it done. The roof caulk however is cleaned each year, inspected for cracking and resealed as needed. Was just up there a month ago and the roof looks clean and white.

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a good review once a year,clean if you like don't be fanatical.You will find that that most problems are the original workmanship rather then the product.

AGBAT

Tierra Encantada

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only cleaning I ever did was after being parked under a tree for 6 weeks in Minnesota. In NM the wind and occasional hard rain keeps it white enough for my taste.

I have had a repair or three over the years but aside from the one that required replacing the sub roof luan and a couple of rafters none that took more than a few minutes to fix. I use a liquid elastic roof primer and top coat for holes and add mesh tape for seams. Like I said I have only had 2-3 holes and the trailer is 17 yrs old although I have only had it 5 or so years.

wtravlr1

Palm Harbor, Florida,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I check it once a year, but sometimes I'm under a tree and the sap makes marks I cannot get out.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RUBBER ROOF MAINTANCE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS