|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago Chalet water tank fill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rob3965

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 Winn Chalet and have not found a way to have the water tank fill when I am hooked up to an external water source. The manual fill outlet is on the other side of the RV. I would have thought there would be a one way valve which would automatically fill your tank as soon as you hook into the inlet to draw off of an external source.

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some campers with a valve to fill the fresh tank from the city water inlet, but they are few and far between. Most campers fresh water tanks are filled from a separate "gravity fill" opening marked "potable water only". I have never actually seen one with the "valve", but I heard that they do exist. I am a little surprised that your fill opening is on the opposite side of the camper as I have never seen one like that either. But then, I have never seen a ghost, but I understand that some folk have. Happy Trails!

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it has a gravity tank fill on the passenger side and a city water connection on the driver side? I can't explain why the two water inlets are on opposite sides of the coach, unless the fresh tank is on the passenger side and no way to bring the filler across.
Ours has one water inlet and a valve to fill the fresh tank but it's not automatic and it's actually awkward. Just filling with a hose would be easier. Anyhow, I don't know of one with both a gravity feed and a valve.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Rangerider

No Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/10 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 05 Aspect has the Gravity fill on the passenger side for the fresh water tank and a valve on the drivers side near the city water fill. You just flip the valve when connected to city water and it will fill (and overfill-don't ask) the fresh water tank.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/10 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is easy to plumb in a line to allow this. Put a T in the water line both before and after the water pump. Connect them together with a shut-off valve in the line. Now, whenever you want to fill the tank from the shore water connection, open the valve and water will flow backwards past the pump into the tank. Total expenditure, 2 T fittings, 1 valve, and 1 length of PEX tubing.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kids (1&1/2 German Shepherds)
2007 Winnebago Outlook WF331C on a Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis
2010 Subaru Forester w/BlueOx baseplate & Ready Brute Elite towbar

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/10 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Itasca Spirit water fill and hook-up are on opposite sides. I have no problem with that.

Dusty

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/10 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 Chalet is exactly the same. I suppose it would be nice to have a valve allowing filling the fresh water tank from the “hard” external water source connection but, to me, it’s no big deal.

Incidentally, my fresh water tank fill is directly behind the rear upright of my awning. It may be obvious to most, but it took a post in this forum to tell me that all I have to do is release the bottom bracket of that upright to fill the tank. I’d had visions of having to deploy the awning!

Chris

roadweary

southern Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/10 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

It is easy to plumb in a line to allow this. Put a T in the water line both before and after the water pump. Connect them together with a shut-off valve in the line. Now, whenever you want to fill the tank from the shore water connection, open the valve and water will flow backwards past the pump into the tank. Total expenditure, 2 T fittings, 1 valve, and 1 length of PEX tubing.

This sounds like exactly what I'd like to do. I talked to the dealership where I bought my motorhome about installing a valve like this and they said it would cost over $700!! Because I'm brand new at motorhomes, I don't totally understand the RV plumbing. I gather that as my system is plumbed now, the water pump keeps my on board tanks from filling when connected to shore water--so bypassing the pump will allow the tanks to fill. Is that correct? When I'm connected to shore water, if that water doesn't go through the pump, is there another bypass that sends water directly to the various RV valves? Do I plumb this new line to bypass that set up also? Sorry I'm not getting it.

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/10 01:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one thinks a bit it actually make a lot of sense in a way. I usually load my tank when parked in the street at the curb....everything is on the right. I have to run the hose out to the street side of the vehicle to do it and hang out in the road while fiddling with it. It would be an easier and shorter hose run to the other side. Maybe that is the mind set. When "docked" at a site the utilities are generally kept at the opposite side from the "front door".

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/10 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadweary wrote:

I gather that as my system is plumbed now, the water pump keeps my on board tanks from filling when connected to shore water--so bypassing the pump will allow the tanks to fill. Is that correct?

Yes. There is a backflow preventer in the pump. You are bypassing the backflow preventer to allow backflow to fill the tank.

roadweary wrote:

When I'm connected to shore water, if that water doesn't go through the pump, is there another bypass that sends water directly to the various RV valves? Do I plumb this new line to bypass that set up also? Sorry I'm not getting it.

No, there is no other bypass unless you have a water heater bypass for winterizing the water system. Bypass nothing else.

There are 2 sections of your water system. 1) the unpressurized water tank and tubing going TO the pump and 2) the pressurized tubing coming from the pump. The shore water connection pressurizes the second section for you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago Chalet water tank fill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS