|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Brand New RVer questions - Roadtrek

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to address this in my other post. When I bought my B, they told me not to obsess about being level. They felt that you could feel by walking around if it was too far off (that feeling of rushing to the back of the van ). I had a small level that I would sit on the counter above the fridge just to make me feel better, but I never bothered much with perfection unless I was going to be parked for a few days. I like this type of ramps:

http://www.rvtruckparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=31528&SID=90&DID=192&CID=735

It was easy to drive on them and use them on my own. No figuring out how many blocks you need. I bought a pair. Usually it is a matter of raising one wheel a bit.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

silkpainter

Newark, DE, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, congrats on your Roadtrek purchase. You'll have great fun.
It is a little overwhelming at first, especially for those of us not mechanically inclined. As a reminder, I made a short checklist (kept in the van) of everything I had to do to setup. Eventually you'll get used to it.

Just know that campers are the nicest, most helpful folks in the world. If you're in a campground, there's always someone to answer questions. Private campgounds have knowledgeable folks in the office -and they know where to get service help if needed. You don't need to know everything to start out.

Best of luck!

North Star Navigator

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure you will get some responses to your questions, however most, if not all of your question can be answered by searching the "Camping Van Conversion" forum, also there are links that answer some of your questions in the "FAQ's" sticky at the top of the CVC home page.
In the "Forum Tech Support" forum there is a tutorial on how to use the search function.
http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15372572.cfm

Happy searching,

Rodger

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silkpainter wrote:

You don't need to know everything to start out.
In fact... you can be pretty much clueless. I had been with my parents a couple times in their A Class... 20 years previously... and Dad did everything. My B was delivered to me on a very cold, windy, rainy day in October, and it went right into storage until I left in late November to go to Arizona. All I did on the way down was plug in the electric. The first morning I got up and there had been over a foot of snow... so I'm stomping around out there, trying to find the cord.

Lesson 1: Frozen electric cords are very hard to get back into a small compartment. If one is smart, one plugs each end... and curls the middle into a small bundle. I had a terrible case of the giggles trying to wrestle that frozen cord into the only place that it almost fit... in front of the passenger seat.

Lesson 2: Large RV parks are full of RVers with all the tools that you don't have (or even knew that you needed). I didn't know how to hook anything up, but figured that it can't be all that complicated. And it's not. And help is normally no further away a neighboring space. Another point is that most of them are not familiar with B Class units and can't wait to take it apart for you!! Just be sure to watch what they are doing in case you need to help them put it back together.

yizit

Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FranandMom....so glad you are having a great time with your RT. It is okay to leave your AC on while you are sleeping, it is no different then if you have a window unit at your home. Window units run constantly, while the compressor will kick in and out depending on temp and humidity.

Regarding the propane...you will get mixed opinions whether it is safe to leave it on while you are moving down the road. For safety reasons, it is not recommended to have your refrigerator on propane while sitting at a gas station. On our RT there is a warning label near the gas cap not to have the propane or refrigerator running while filling the gas tank.

Regarding filling up the tank... I'm not sure what you mean by switching hoses, so maybe someone else can help you with that. If you are connected to city water hook up, you can add water by flushing the toilet. You need only to fill the toilet approximately 1/3 full to clean and dump again. If you are dumping at a dump station, we fill our fresh water tanks and use the pump by flushing the toilet to add water into the black tank and dump it again. You do not need to fill it full. Then we add a small amount of water while we are traveling. You can check your black tank gage to see how much water you added.

You'll get the hang of backing up and become a pro in no time. It is much easier to back up a RT then it is a trailer. Some people invest in a rear camera for backing up. This may be a option for you if you feel more comfortable.

The bubble being half in the circle is good enough for the refrigerator. According to the manual, if you are comfortable walking around in the coach (meaning you do not feel like you are tipsy, a "little" tipsy should be ok if it's doesn't bother you) then it is safe for the refrigerator.

I don't know anything about diesel, but if it were me, I would contact a car dealer that sells the sprinter vans to verify it with them. A service tech would know better then a salesperson, since they work on these vehicles.

If you are ever passing thru or would like to visit the Wisconsin Dells area, let me know. We live there and it is a beautiful area. Devil's Lake State park is a beautiful park and qualifies for the America the Beautiful pass. Maybe we can meet there sometime and get to know one another.

Happy and safe travels.

Jim & Darlene
Pickles our Teddy Bear
2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (aka..Roada)
Wisconsin Dells...Water park capital of the world

FranandMom

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi and Thanks again. We just had our 2nd night out. Another great experience - the people I met were soooooooo nice and sooooooo interesting. Loving it and boy people are really interested in the B. A few more questions. It was really hot and muggy so left the AC on - we were plugged in - but I kept hearing it working and it made me nervous - do you ever sleep with the AC on? Do you drive with the propane on - do you ever turn off the propane? Do you turn off the refrigerator before pumping diesel? Can we use biodisel? After you dump - do you switch your potable hose and put on the other hose and drag it into the RV and do you fill up the tank through the toilet and dump it again??? I didn't have a hose till today so I was flushing clean water and pouring bottles of water down and I think I filled it up that way - hard to judge. But I only dumped it one time. I backed into my parking space pretty poorly - so I was only half on the gravel - and it wasn't level. The bubble was about half in the circle - is that good enough for the refrigerator? Thanks in advance.

senf

Nanaimo,BC,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/10 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I even replaced all the sensors on our 1996 RT Versatile's black tank. It was an interesting excercise, kept me out of mischief for days, learned lots about the underworkings, AND it did diddly squat for the accuracy of the black tank readings. Lies, lies and more lies. There must be a way to measure any tank's content more accurately than the method commonly used on RV's, without paying a king's ransome!

"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

KK&R

Ashland, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding leveling:

You'll probably get a range of advice on how level you should be, but here is a technique for achieving however close to perfectly level you care to be.

Buy yourself a pair of stick-on levels, like these
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hoppy-small-stick-on-levels.aspx?a=74219

Park yourself somewhere where your round level is right in the middle when sitting on the freezer shelf.

Affix your two stick-on levels--one to the dash and one on the driver's side door.

Finished. From now on you can determine level from the drivers seat, while maneuvering, simply by looking at your two stick-on levels. When they are both level, so is your RV.

Good Luck.

KK&R
2004/03 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yizit wrote:

You can check your black tank gage to see how much water you added.

I kind of chuckled when I read this. With my brand new van, the gauge went up to full... I emptied... and the gauge never read correctly again for the next three years. It would often say full just after emptying... or empty when I knew that it was full. (and no... there had never been any paper put in it.) Common problem or at least I heard lots of complaints for other RVers of the same problem.

The rest of the gauges were accurate...

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/10 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to jump in and ask a leveling question. There is level front to back and then there ls level side to side. How does one get level in both orientations?

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Brand New RVer questions - Roadtrek
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS