RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Where best to access Hwy 101?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Where best to access Hwy 101?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
djbroughton

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am planning a trip for the end of this month. We will drop south from Saskatchewan then take the Super Slab straight west. We want to drive Hwy 101 from north to south ending at Redwood National Park and then turn inland for the return home. I'm wondering where the best point to access 101 is? US 30 seems to be the most logical point.

Dave- Calgary, Alberta
06 Monaco Camelot 40 pdq

tiptoe tommy

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 01:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US 30 is a great choice. I would rather do the Oregon coast well than try to do too much. I am assuming you don't have enough time for a tour of Washington too. The Olympic Peninsula is awesome if you have the time to visit. I would probably skip SW Washington in the interest of time.

Family that loves to camp as often as we can! Two kids, 16 and 13

1999 Coleman SeaPine PUP
GO COUGS!

George H

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming that you are southbound on I5, cut to 101 at Olympia, WA. You can make it to Astoria in a half day, or make some stops along WA coast as you please. Avoids going through Portland, OR, although you can also get onto 30 by going through Longview, WA.

George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

djbroughton

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George H wrote:

Assuming that you are southbound on I5, cut to 101 at Olympia, WA. You can make it to Astoria in a half day, or make some stops along WA coast as you please. Avoids going through Portland, OR, although you can also get onto 30 by going through Longview, WA.

I'm still thinking Hwy 30 through Longview. How bad is it driving through Portland? Don't you just stay on the Interstate? Is there an alternative?

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure where you/how you will be coming south from Sask./Calgary?? And what do you mean by the 'superslab"? If from calgary crossing at Coutts you then are on I 15. Then a couple of choices - stay on I 15 all the way to Pocatello ID then west to Portland. Take the bypass to get on US 30 to hit the 101 at Astoria. Portland (this part) is not too bad as long as you avoid the afternoon rush hour.
Or take I 90 at Butte MT towards Spokane and Seattle. Bypass Seattle by taking 18, 5 miles west of North bend to Tacoma and on to Olympia where you can get on 101 and head south. OR at Spokane take US 2 across central WA to Everett and take the Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey Island, North to keystone and ferry over to Port Townsend and on to 101 and (my favorite - go north and west around the Olympic Peninsula counter clockwise; or south to Olympia area then west to cross the bridge to Astoria.
Lots of choices for you.
John

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

djbroughton

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruiserjs wrote:

Not sure where you/how you will be coming south from Sask./Calgary?? And what do you mean by the 'superslab"? If from calgary crossing at Coutts you then are on I 15. Then a couple of choices - stay on I 15 all the way to Pocatello ID then west to Portland. Take the bypass to get on US 30 to hit the 101 at Astoria. Portland (this part) is not too bad as long as you avoid the afternoon rush hour.
Or take I 90 at Butte MT towards Spokane and Seattle. Bypass Seattle by taking 18, 5 miles west of North bend to Tacoma and on to Olympia where you can get on 101 and head south. OR at Spokane take US 2 across central WA to Everett and take the Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey Island, North to keystone and ferry over to Port Townsend and on to 101 and (my favorite - go north and west around the Olympic Peninsula counter clockwise; or south to Olympia area then west to cross the bridge to Astoria.
Lots of choices for you.
John

Sorry, "superslab" is a motorcycle touring term meant to describe travelling by interstate or the most direct route.

Dave

isa

Richmond, B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/10 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another route you may like. Head for Spokane then I-90 & I-82 Yakima Hwy. 12 / I-5 Chehalis Hwy.6 Raymond Hwy.101 south to the Long Beach peninsula, the Columbia River at Astoria and the Oregon coast.

This way you will avoid the major bottlenecks of Seattle and Portland and see the best of what 101 has to offer.

CND SuperCrew

SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djbroughton wrote:

I am planning a trip for the end of this month. We will drop south from Saskatchewan then take the Super Slab straight west. We want to drive Hwy 101 from north to south ending at Redwood National Park and then turn inland for the return home. I'm wondering where the best point to access 101 is? US 30 seems to be the most logical point.

We have always taken the #3 to Cranbrook from Regina, drop down to Kingsgate/Boners Ferry. From there you can take the I84 through the gorge but heavy head winds or take #12 through Yakima, not recommend for oversize rig IMO. Start in Astoria, its beautiful. There are just to many thinks to see going south. We've been twice and are planning on more trips.

I'll also mention that driving the 101 is slow paced, you'll avg ~40mph with summer tourist traffic.

Happy Trails

Ron, Lori and Autumn
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2008 Jayflight G2 23FB/ Equal-i-zer WD

Truck & Trailer

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you are saying you will be coming west on I84? If so when you hit Portland, jump on I205 north which connects to I5 north of Vancouver,WA. Continue on I5 to Longview and follow the signs to hwy30. That is the fastest, straightest and generally flattest route to the coast. Only down side is the long climb leaving the bridge west bound. First stop should be Ft Stevens state park. Plan on a couple of days to visit historic Ft Clatsup, winter camp of Lewis and Clark expedition.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

goodtimes4all

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just came down from calgary thru montana on I-15 and accross to seattle on the I-90. What a miserable stretch of road that is (I-90) from west of misoula to coeur d'alene. The roughest interstate i've seen in years and i've driven I-5 from southern california to BC border muliple times. we're going back up through bonner ferry and onto the crowsnest. heard that's a nice drive.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Where best to access Hwy 101?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS