|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Eisenhower tunnel at Denver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DAYSPFX

Camarillo

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know of any restrictions or requirements on going thru the Eisenhower tunnel in a Class A 35' MH. and has anyone traveled the I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction and had any problems?

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea I had a problem. I wanted to see the tunnel in daylight (the whole reason for taking I70) and it was aproaching darkness before getting to the tunnel. So had to spend a night at over 7,000 feet altitude. The other person I was with did not sleep well at such a high altitude, with such thin air. But he did OK, and we had a great time.

There is not a "No Propane" restriction, like found on certain tunnels that go under water, or are back east where they panic about things like a small propane tank on a RV. However I don't think they allow certain trucks through the tunnel, such as fuel tankers, and somehow I don't think you will be driving a commercial truck.

It is a great road, no worries.

Good Luck,

Fred.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/10 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could drive a 100' MH through that tunnel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

dashdriver

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did it in my 42ft'er last week and it was a breeze. You're shorter length and shorter height than the tractor-trailers and they go through there all day long.

1999 HR Navigator 42DSS
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4Dr)

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are actually two tunnels. If you are westbound you use the Eisenhower Tunnel. If eastbound you use the Johnson Tunnel.

If traveling from Denver west you will have several relative short grades to handle. The first is when you get to the foothills. The Virginia Canyon climb is about 5 miles at 5 to 6%. Floyd Hill is a couple miles of climbing and a 3 mile 6% downgrade. The next is Georgetown Hill whick is a couple miles long.

The last mile to the tunnels is steep plus you are at about 11,000 ft. You leave the tunnels at 11,158 ft. and have a 8 mile downhill with parts at 7%. A couple of miles of climbing between Silverthorne and Frisco and then you have Vail Pass. A 4 mile climb from the Copper Mountain Resort. The summit is 10,666 ft and 8 miles of downhill 6/7% grades to Vail and that is all of the big hills going west.

Often sleeping problems at altitude can be helped by being properly hydrated. Limit alcohol and caffeine. Drink extra water. And it is not just drinking water that day. Start drinking extra water a couple of days before you get to the higher altitudes.

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/10 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go, relax, and enjoy ... beautiful country

Bob

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/10 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the only issue we've ever had at the tunnel was the height of the RV. this occurred back in the mid 80's.

we were EB on I-70 and as we approached the tunnel we were waived over to the side. the fellow said we had tripped the 'height detector' coming up the grade. our class A ('85 winnebago chieftain) at the time was 10'-something inches and when i pointed that out that we were significantly shorter than the semis moving past us he said he could clearly see that but "rules was rules".

the only thing i could figure was that my ham antennas which were attached to the trucker-style mirrors had somehow tripped the detector. he gave me a choice...remove the antennas or be re-routed onto a bypass which would have added many, many miles to the trip. easy choice.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Eisenhower tunnel at Denver
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS