|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Newby questions Callista Cove and Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/10 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy folks,

First post here, first time considering purchasing a mini RV. We are moving cross country and may need one to stay in for awhile until we build a house. We are very low on budget so found a 1994 CALLISTA
CARRIAGE, INC-COVE SERIES M-2502 Ford E350 7.5L 460CU with 38,000 miles Two big questions: One, we cannot find a tow rating, and need to tow our trailer with some furniture. Two, there is a small leak in the roof (which they will fix before we buy) with a soft spot in the cabinet directly under it and one soft outside cubbie door compartment on the same side(Not sure if related or leaking from the underside...?) Thoughts? Advise?

Semper Fi

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/10 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This unit has structural damage the soft spots are rotted wood. Fixing the leaks will limit future damage but the damage is already done.
However if you are only planning on keeping it for a short time, the price is extremely low and everything else was ok it could get you buy. IMHO do not plan on the leaks being fixed once you get to where your going tarp it.

Tyrone

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/10 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trip Report,

Ok, so we arrived in Guaymas, Mexico a few weeks ago. The RV performed Brilliantly during the 3,000 mile trip (except the gas mileage, but hey we had a fully loaded RV and towing a loaded 14' dual axle trailer). We had it serviced right before we left, put in fresh Rotella T 15W40 oil, fluids, etc. We now have 41,000 miles on it. Only thing is we are now looking for a decent dish to get our DirecTV on. Great Motorhome, never skipped a beat!!

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/10 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK folks, thanks for your suggestions. We checked everything out again today and decided to go 4 it. The only thing is the rear tires (4) are more than 5 years old and look a little dry rotted. What kind/ make of tires are good for this weight/size RV? I think they are 16". It will rarely see snow and very little rain (we are going to be in Sonora, Mexico). I am asking here so when I get the quote from the dealer I have some ammo to fight back with. Any good online resources for RV tires you guys have good experience with?

Thanks!
Semper Fi

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/10 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Tyrone. The price is about $11, 500 or so. We like it becasue it does have low miles on it. We were wondering if it could tow about 3500lbs or so.
Semper Fi

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/10 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low miles isn't always a good thing, especially if it sat for a long time. Seals and gaskets in the engine, transmission and differential dry out while a vehicle sits for long periods. They won't fail immediately, but when they do you're looking at expensive repairs.

I would be concerned with the water damage, if nothing else for when you go to sell it. Just because the soft spot seems to be in just one spot, if there are other wet spots, the wood there will eventually rot too.

However, if cost is your primary concern that may outweigh the problems with the Motorhome.

-Michael

Michael Girardo :: michael@ecxc.com
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome with 2014 Honda CR-V Toad
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/10 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/10 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only seen one Callista and it was a good looking unit. Appeared to be well built. Glad you had a good experience!

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/10 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The probelm with a leak is that you cannot see the hidden damage. Fixing the leak is a small thing. If the floor and cabinet have rot, what about the wall. I'd pass on it personally.

I think you would do better to look for a travel trailer to live in and have it towed to your site.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/11 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman-
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Yeah, I agree with you but we had it pretty well checked out and plus here in Sonora we do not get very much rain. The home is very well built, solid and has a good Ford E350 7.5L Engine. We are pleased.

Thanks again,

Semper Fi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Newby questions Callista Cove and Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS