|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> pin box height adjust

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
makin hay

austin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/10 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hello everyone
rv rookie here
i have just acquired a jayco 345bhs, i have the pullrite 16k slider for short beds, and the trailer to bed box clearance is marginal. i notice several holes in the king pin box that appear to be for height adjustment. is that the case and if so, are there structural limitations that i should know about if i drop the king pin box to a lower set of holes?
thank you truly

Miles Away

Lebanon, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/10 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the holes in the pinbox are for height adjustment. Remember, if you decide to make an adjustment, get some help or find some way to support the pinbox because IT IS HEAVY.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "The clearance is marginal. " Of course it is best to attempt to have your trailer ride level, and adjusting the pinbox height or the hitch is the way to do that. However, as with many of the newer trucks out there that have a higher ground clearance and or higher bed rails, this is not always possible. You should maintain a minimum clearance of six (6) inches between the top of your bedrails and your trailer, or risk a collision between them on uneven surfaces.

* This post was edited 06/20/10 02:58pm by Miles Away *

M & M On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/10 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use new bolts of the same grade also. You also want the torque values correct. You can remove your hitch and use the truck bed and blocking for support cause as stated, They are heavy. 6" clearance is fine, heck I got by with 4" for 3 years till this past year when I made the adjustment. Really happy with the 5.5" I now have.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/10 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raise the hitch in the truck bed first. If you lower the pin box you may have problems with the pin plate hitting the truck bed rails in sharp turns. If the hitch is as high as it will go then you will have to lower the pin box. But as said before be careful that you do not get the trailer too far out of level. You can overload a trailer axle if it is not level.

makin hay

austin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/10 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you Miles Away and Stickdog.
my truck bed rails are higher and i'm glad the pin box adjustment is a normal thing because i definitely want the 6 inch clearance.
thanks again

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/10 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trucks vary in bed height, pin boxes are adjustable for that reason. Ideally the Fiver will clear the top rails with what you feel is appropriate and will be level as well. With many different configurations of trucks and fifth wheels the only way this is possible is with adjustable hitch components.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

makin hay

austin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/10 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks to all
i lowered the pin box, hitched her up, and she sits level with 7" bed rail clearance. took her out of the hangar for maiden flight today and all went splendid. now if i could just back it in straight. i admire the big rig folks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> pin box height adjust
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS