Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Lost my Keys--Now what!?

Posted By: krazymatt on 06/23/10 08:56am

Okay, my TT is safe at home, but I've misplaced my keys and have been looking for them since Saturday. We have a trip planned for the fourth of July. If I don't find them what is the cheapest way to get my locks rekeyed? Does anyone know of a way for us to at least get into our trailer and then just buy new locks? I would want to avoid a lock smith or RV dealer at all costs. Thanks for any advice!

New Mexico
2008 Forest River Puma 26RLSS
2008 Dodge 2500 SLT Big Horn QC Cummins 4x4 6Spd Auto, Exhaust Brake.
Easy-Lift 1000 WD hitch.
2400IS Yamaha Generator

Posted By: BillyW on 06/23/10 09:02am

I sent my skinny son through one the exterior storage doors that went all the way into the trailer once. If you had to drill out a lock, one of those would probably be preferable.

'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6

Posted By: jfmoots on 06/23/10 09:23am

The keys are mostly the same. I think an RV dealer could help you out.

James, Hollie, 2 boys, 2 dogs
06 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
11 Sabre 31RLTS-6
B/W Companion, Prodigy Brake Controller,
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/ LoadController II

Posted By: squeakkos on 06/23/10 09:35am

some have a # on the lock

Posted By: B.O. Plenty on 06/23/10 09:56am

There aren't many key combinations. If you get in you could open the door and remove the lock. Take it to any locksmith and they can key it for you or they can come out for an additional charge and key it.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

Posted By: smkettner on 06/23/10 09:59am

This does not help now but I keep a set to use, second set in the truck, third set at home.
That is a a full set of ALL keys.

Dealer might be easier than you think. Call them.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Posted By: DavidP on 06/23/10 10:04am

If you go the locksmith route make sure they have the blanks needed.

In the future you may want to consider a hide a key.

* This post was edited 06/23/10 12:08pm by DavidP *

Posted By: Steveque on 06/23/10 10:06am

Is your trailer insured by AAA? If so, see if their lock-out program works for travel trailers.

Steve Quesenberry
Central California

Posted By: Jax-Jag on 06/23/10 10:07am

I just picked my new trailer up last week, and the guy told me that if we lock ourselves out, then take the vent off, and send a skinny kid down there to unlock the door. Hope that helps.

Posted By: dean_and_monica on 06/23/10 11:39am

You might be able to talk to your dealer into loaning you their master key to at least get your door open.

New TV: 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 5.9L Diesel
New Rig: 2011 Rockwood Signiture Ultra Lite 8313SS
Old TV2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Old Rig: 2008 Roo 23SS ---- Destroyed by Mother Nature

Posted By: Old Hammer Boy on 06/23/10 12:15pm

krazymatt wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

Some years ago, in the spring of the year, I couldn't find my regular set of keys. Luckily, I had a couple other sets, but those special encoded automobile keys are very expensive, and I looked everywhere to no avail. Later, in the fall, guess what? I found them. They were in a winter coat pocket. You asked for advice...

I hope you will enjoy reading my journal about my bicycle ride, camping all the way across America at www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/dean. We also RV in our '07 Starcraft Travel Star 23QB, pulled with a good old stout Isuzu Trooper. It works

Posted By: krazymatt on 06/23/10 12:57pm

I called my dealer and being that it's my deadbolt that's locked, they told me to call a you guessed it-Locksmith! I will just have to tear my home and garage and vehicles apart till I find the damn keys. We used it for memorial day and the last time I remember using the keys was to go grab some dirty laundry and then I walked from the coach to my house which is like a whole 30 foot walk. I've checked jacket pockets although it was too hot already. I've checked all my pants, and laundry, and all the normal places. I've looked just about everywhere they could be. The extras haven't shown up either in our looking. Tonight I'm going to take all my cars out of the garage and go throgh them thoroghly and and clean out some of the clutter in my garage which is mostly camping stuff. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions as to where to look! Thanks...

Posted By: krazymatt on 06/23/10 12:59pm

Worst part about it; is the key fob from the dealer is red and kind of big. Pretty hard to miss!

Posted By: Bonefish on 06/23/10 11:50am

Our camper has dual keys the door lock is common and the dealer has a master. The dead bolt is a different key with more variations and the dealer does not have a master key. The reason I know is because when we drop it off for service they make sure we do not lock the deadbolts. If I do I have to run over and unlock it for them to do the work (happened the first time).

Any good locksmith can pick the lock and make you a key and most can do this on site!

Bonefish

Posted By: opnspaces on 06/23/10 02:27pm

As most have replied many RV's have the same key. Hopefully yours has the standard CH751 storage door locks. If so you might have one on your key ring for a desk drawer, garage cabinet etc.

Also if you have a friend or neighbor with an RV, their storage door keys will probably work on yours. Once the storage is open you can hopefully send a kid through to push up a bed and open the door from the inside.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Posted By: twobuckmark on 06/23/10 03:50pm

We have a outside storage door that is under the sofa. It would be easy to crawl under that and push up the sofa.Just a thought.

1998 GMC 1500 Seirra EXT Cab 4x4 5.7 litre Reese WD Hitch with 2 friction sway controls
2004 Springdale 296BH

Posted By: Bucky Badger on 06/23/10 04:16pm

If you find thoes keys, they are going to be right where you put them

krazymatt wrote:

I called my dealer and being that it's my deadbolt that's locked, they told me to call a you guessed it-Locksmith! I will just have to tear my home and garage and vehicles apart till I find the damn keys. We used it for memorial day and the last time I remember using the keys was to go grab some dirty laundry and then I walked from the coach to my house which is like a whole 30 foot walk. I've checked jacket pockets although it was too hot already. I've checked all my pants, and laundry, and all the normal places. I've looked just about everywhere they could be. The extras haven't shown up either in our looking. Tonight I'm going to take all my cars out of the garage and go throgh them thoroghly and and clean out some of the clutter in my garage which is mostly camping stuff. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions as to where to look! Thanks...

Fred & Jodie, dogs, Zoey, Mika and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Posted By: robbie69 on 06/23/10 05:18pm

DavidP wrote:

In the future you may want to consider a hide a key.

This isn't going to help you now but may be something you'll want to consider. I replaced my storage locks with combination locks. In one of my compartments(not telling which ) i keep a complete set(TT and TV) of keys. Think if this would have happened at the CG. Besides that set i keep a set in the TV, the set I use and DW has a set(who knows where though) I do not have a common key, had to go to a locksmith to have copies made(local hardware stores didn't have blanks) so I had several sets made.
I changed my storage locks when i learned that most of the people in the CG had the same key. Also since i always hang up my keys inside when not in use, every time i had to get into a compartment i had to get the keys--now i just have to find my 'store bought' eyes.

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

Posted By: robbie69 on 06/23/10 05:22pm

Bucky Badger wrote:

If you find thoes keys, they are going to be right where you put them

Or my personal favorite

Where did you find em??
the last place i looked.

why would anyone keep looking once they're found??

never hear anyone say they were in the 2nd to the last place they looked

Posted By: livingaboard on 06/23/10 05:22pm

I would just stop losing sleep over it and call a locksmith. They can easily pick the lock and make a new set of keys for probably a little over a hundred bucks

Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

Posted By: shadows4 on 06/23/10 05:42pm

If you have to call a locksmith, might look in the yellow pages for a discount coupon. Just a thought, Happy camping, John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 151,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

Posted By: rockhillmanor on 06/23/10 06:03pm

I had my lock break internally and couldn't enter the RV just this year and I got news for everyone, I called several lock smiths and every one of them said they would NOT work on RV locks.

I finally found a mobile RV repair and he came out and removed it and then I had to wait 2 days for a new assembly to be delivered.

P.S. There are 'numerous' places on MH's and TT's to hide a COMPLETE set of keys which include TV, TT, personal at home car, and yes your house keys! Trust me, I know the hidden stash of keys on the RV will save the day for you sometime it did for me several times!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Posted By: CampinEarls on 06/23/10 06:43pm

On you're back bumper? I parked my TT in the driveway and drove about 12 miles through several red lights and corners, had lunch and drove back home and backed up to the trailer to hook it up later and there my hitch lock was laying on my bumper!

A few weekends ago I took the TT to a campground and sat it up, I didn't worry about locking it up since some friends were there and other friends were bringing thier baby so I left it unlocked in case they got there and wanted to take the baby inside to the AC. I went home and picked up the DW and DS, got back and couldn't find the keys to get into the outdoor kitchen were all my beer was!! I left them at home, the bad thing was my DW saw them laying on the counter with my wallet but she didn't remind me or say anything, of course untill we got to the TT then I heard all about it...several times.

I took a pair of pliers and turned the lock on the outdoor kitchen. I left the hitch locked to the TT so I had to hook up by sliding the hitch into the reciever (which I have been doing ever since, it seems easier, leave it in Neutral and pull the truck back to the TT, if it is level of course)

Now I have an extra set in my TV and at Home.

2009 Chevy Z71 CrewCab
2010 Bullet Premier 31BHPR

Posted By: LadyRVer on 06/23/10 08:17pm

Do you have Emergency Road Service on the RV? If so, does it include lock out? Just a thought.

Don't ask me how many times I have misplaced the keys... even left them all on a picnic table one night at a campground. Fiver/truck, ALL!

Hope you have found them by this time. Very frustrating.

Posted By: mayo30 on 06/23/10 08:38pm

It is cheaper to take a cordless drill with a 1/4" drill and drill out the affected lock.Go to an RV dealer and buy a new lock and handle,take the old one with you for sizing.Should only cost you about $70.00.I know I did it up at Whitehorse a couple of years ago.

Posted By: krazymatt on 06/24/10 08:02am

Okay, so we looked all evening last night to no avail. I'm starting to think I accidently dropped them in the trash or into something that went to the trash. I've looked in every car, under couches, pant pockets, garage, shed, around the yard, you name it. God knows where the copies are as they haven't turned up either. As far as sending a little kid through the storage, I don't have kids and I'm not going to risk getting a friends kid stuck in there. I am NOT going to pay a lock smith no $100. I've seen on fleabay where the rv locks are like 22 bucks plus shipping. I might drill my lock out and go that route. I'll have to see if I can find a set keyed alike. Thanks for all the input!

Posted By: krazymatt on 06/24/10 08:29am

So I called my local locksmith for $%^&s and grins and he told me if the lock has a code he can cut a key for $7.50 but he can't guarantee that it will work. If it doesn't have a code and I take it in to his shop he can do an impression to cut a key and it will be $12.50

Glad I called before I pulled out the drill! I guess the $100 is more for house calls? We'll see how it works out. Thanks....

Posted By: CampinEarls on 06/24/10 05:43pm

$20! Glad that works out for you!

I probably would have jumped right to breaking something before I would have called.

Posted By: LarryJM on 06/24/10 06:01pm

krazymatt wrote:

Okay, my TT is safe at home, but I've misplaced my keys and have been looking for them since Saturday. We have a trip planned for the fourth of July. If I don't find them what is the cheapest way to get my locks rekeyed? Does anyone know of a way for us to at least get into our trailer and then just buy new locks? I would want to avoid a lock smith or RV dealer at all costs. Thanks for any advice!

Call your dealer and with your VIN they should be able to give you the proper replacement keys.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Posted By: LarryJM on 06/24/10 06:04pm

Jax-Jag wrote:

I just picked my new trailer up last week, and the guy told me that if we lock ourselves out, then take the vent off, and send a skinny kid down there to unlock the door. Hope that helps.

If that a real story that dealership would be not one that I would trust even washing the outside of my unit.

Larry

Posted By: thib2722 on 07/30/10 08:18pm

Dealers have master keys that will get you back in the RV, and then they can order a key for you. There aren't many key models, unfortunately.

Posted By: mikelyne on 07/27/10 07:00pm

Yes, Steve, I know and oh what a feeling! I reasoned $100 to a locksmith or $3.95 to the rv guy and then I could spend the $100 on stuff I really want! Almost like hiring the locksmith and then the locksmith brings presents!

Posted By: FESCSteve on 07/27/10 04:51pm

I recently lost my keys to my TV and TT. Luckily I had left the TT open. I called the manufacturer and they said the key code was inside the lock assembly. Went home and took out the 4 screws holding the inside half of the assembly on and sure enough there was the code. Got three made

I had one key for the TV that was poorly made and barely, sometimes worked. I took it into the locksmith and she looked at it, wrote down about 5 numbers and said 'let's start with that'. 1 minute later I had a perfectly working TV key! I was amazed that she could just look at it and know the cut code. Scary if you think about it. But I'm glad that I have plenty of copies now.

Posted By: mikelyne on 07/27/10 02:03pm

We visited our local RV parts store and found our keys! The match to our deadbolt was 3.95 so we bought two. The universal key for storage compartment was just 6.95 as well. The keys were all under $20.00. However, when we checked out my bill was $145. We picked up a nice folding stool, new water pump, and some green goo for the holding tanks. This green stuff is supposed to be really good for tanks. Dealer advised we put a box of baking soda w/water in each take and let that neutralize the Aqua Chem, dump, add green goo, go camping (got that one covered), dump and add more green goo. Dealer states our tanks should be coated nicely by September if we repeat these steps. We will see!

Lyne

Posted By: livingaboard on 07/27/10 03:01pm

Went to the locksmith and had a few copies made. Put a hide a key in also

Posted By: mikelyne on 07/26/10 11:03pm

We lost our keys (only set the dealer gave us) while enroute back home. We ended up breaking the vent in the bedroom and used a long wooden tool handle (broom handle) to flip the dead bolt up. We cleaned up our mess, installed a new vent and saved our food from spoiling. Our keys are somewhere between Anacortes Washington and Mt. Vernon. DH used them to unlock the storage unit and didn't retrieve them from the lock...wiggled out somewhere on the road. Locksmiths in three different towns offered to pick the lock (100 bucks) but all gave the same answer.... "we can't make a new key for you". So tomorrow's quest is to find a whole new lockset. I feel your pain....

Posted By: ROBERTSUNRUS on 07/26/10 11:54pm

Hi, sometimes it's better if you have to pay $100.00 or more to have a lock smith come out and make you new keys; After paying the bill, you will be more careful about where you keep them. Working at new car dealerships, customers were always losing their keys. But when the chipped keys came out, ($$$$$) our customers only did it once.

Bob
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Print  |  Close