RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Skylight leaking - how to repair and level out caulking

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Skylight leaking - how to repair and level out caulking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rechinca

Vacaville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/10 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During our last trip we were in a lot of rain when I discovered the skylight in the bathroom (not the vent) was leaking. I had just cleaned and inspected the roof prior to the trip and did not notice any cracks in the caulking. Sure enough, during a heavy rain I found water leaking into the shower from the skylight. I went up and found 3 cracks in the caulking. I covered the area with some plastic sheeting as it rained everyday and it was too wet to repair. I did pull the inner skylight and let the area dry out and it does not appear there is any damage to the structure. The plastic sheeting kept any additional water from seeping in.

Now, I was looking at using eternabond to seal this up, but this is where my question lies. The existing caulking looks like it was put on with a caulking gun in a nice glob forming pattern with several high spots and very uneven pattern. Do I need to scrape that off and take it down to a more level surface prior to the Eternabond installation? If so, what is the best way to do so? I am up to speed with the videos on their web site, but no one really addresses what to do with the globs of caulking and how to take some off to level it out better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/10 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I scraped as much of the old caulk off and sealed with 4" Eternabond tape. No more leak.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

granite

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/10 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When ours leaked and tried to seal, discovered that the plastic itself kept curling up along its edge. Ended up replacing it.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/10 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not necessary to remove all the old caulking. Just remove the loose sections. Then, clean well with lacquer thinner and apply the Eternabond.
If you want to remove the old caulking I know a friend who used a Fein multi-tool. It came off easily with no problems.
Fein is expensive, Harbor Freight has one for around $40 that will do the job.
Just make sure you clean the area well before applying the EB.

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/10 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We kept checking and repairing the caulking, but kept having leaks. We finally put the Eternabond on and no more leaks. As you've seen with caulking, you don't see any holes, but the water does. If you use Eternabond you won't have any more problems.

AaronS

Montpelier

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/10 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd scrape it as flat as possible. Use a knife, sharpened paint scraper, whatever you have in your garage and scrape and dig away.

I guess to NOT scrape these lumps and bumps away would not harm a thing but would simply not look good.
Take 20 minutes and give it a professional appearance.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/10 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try a hair dryer to soften up the putty/caulking and use a plastic putty knife to remove it. Now would also be the time to very carefully examine the skylight itself for curled edges and real fine cracks. If you find any, it might be time to replace the skylight and that way you start with everything new and a smooth surface. I had to replace two skylights and it is not a bad job at all. If you decide to replace the skylights post back and I will post how I did it if you so desire. Good luck

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/10 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rechinca wrote:

During our last trip we were in a lot of rain when I discovered the skylight in the bathroom (not the vent) was leaking. I had just cleaned and inspected the roof prior to the trip and did not notice any cracks in the caulking. Sure enough, during a heavy rain I found water leaking into the shower from the skylight. I went up and found 3 cracks in the caulking. I covered the area with some plastic sheeting as it rained everyday and it was too wet to repair. I did pull the inner skylight and let the area dry out and it does not appear there is any damage to the structure. The plastic sheeting kept any additional water from seeping in.

Now, I was looking at using eternabond to seal this up, but this is where my question lies. The existing caulking looks like it was put on with a caulking gun in a nice glob forming pattern with several high spots and very uneven pattern. Do I need to scrape that off and take it down to a more level surface prior to the Eternabond installation? If so, what is the best way to do so? I am up to speed with the videos on their web site, but no one really addresses what to do with the globs of caulking and how to take some off to level it out better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would spend the time and get as much of that old useless caulk off and your goal is to have a virgin surface for the Eternabond to bond to for about 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches on each side of the existing caulk and that might be hard to do on the flange area of the skylight w/o removing all of that caulk. The issue is Eternabond doesn't like uneven surfaces because of the none stretching white outer layer and you need it to lay it flat w/o steatching it w/o stresses for the microsealant to adhere properly. You can see what I did and the results in the Eternabond install link in my signature.

Larry

* This post was edited 06/24/10 05:46pm by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Skylight leaking - how to repair and level out caulking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS