|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Laws on children in motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
scabello

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are we sure these links apply to motorhomes?

Usually the front of the motorhome is considered the vehicle and the back part (behind the two front seats) is the "home".

This is why people can have a "party bus" (in a real bus) or people can bring friends and drink right behind the driver's seat in a motorhome. Just don't let that bottle of beer cross the backs of those seats lest it will become part of the "vehicle".

It is probably best to have the children ride with a safety belt. But this is physics. A 30,000 lbs motorhome that slams into a 3000 car is just going to move that car and slide it right along. Remember riding the school bus as a kid and there were NO SEATBELTS? This is not because people are stupid it is that it really is not necessary when you are in a big and heavy vehicle.

if the motorhome was to roll over, the big risk is the pots and pans flying around hitting people on the head.

I seriously doubt people get on public transportation and they buckle up. Do they even have seatbelts on the city bus? I doubt it. There is a reason for that.

Now when you get into a taxicab there are laws that you need to buckle up. That is because it is a regular auto. But not when it comes to a bus or motorhome.

At least thats how it is in California and I think most/all states abide by similar rules (vehicle vs. home of a motorcoach/bus)

livingaboard

Everett wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 02:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not allow anybody to ride without a restraint of some sort in my rv.

Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

Burp

St. George's Island, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/10 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a good link for RV laws/rules and it appears to be up to date. Some of the other sites quoted in this thread may be very much out of date. It includes laws about seat belts when there are specific laws for RVs.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California and many other states, the area behind the drivers compartment is not treated as a motorvehicle. Therefore child seats are only required by law if the child is sitting in the front seat. There have been many threads on the safety of children in a MH and the safety of a carseat facing sideways.
Personally, we have permitted our children to ride without restraints. We now permit our grandchildren to ride without restraints. The infants are kept in carseats for comfort, they are permitted to ride in laps as needed...just not in the front seats.
My reasoning: I believe my reduced speed and my 26K lb mass gives adequate protection to passengers. Walking is restricted to necessary movement from one seat to another.
Just my opinion.

frmAloha

Oregon (OR-y-gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something unforeseen can occur at any time or any place. Emergency braking because of something in the road can cause anyone, child or adult, to be hurled forward. From personal experience, you don't want that to happen. Keep everyone buckled up.

Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

fourmat

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/10 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all children 14 and under must be in seat belts while vehicle is in motion 3 and under Safety seat anything less than that can be construed as endangerment.
Front seat passengers belts all the time

2009 Challenger

coloradodave

Colorado Springs, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at this link:

Woodalls

Out on Woodalls, it lists some info, and you can definently see a variation. For example, Colorado lists that people can ride in a truck camper or 5th wheel - not recommended (can't say I've seen too many of those with seatbelts).

But the rules do vary state by state.

As for us, always have my kids in seat belts when going down the road, unless they are up to get a snack or go to the bathroom. But then its always right back into a seat. All of the seats, chairs, sofa, dinnette locations all have seat belts in my MH.

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

Clieb

Carlsbad, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/10 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So do all of you who require seat belts at all times have one installed on the toilet?

I don't have belts on the bed, but use a necktie or handcuffs on occasion.

And it would be kind of hard for the stewardess to do her job if she remained belted.

I must admit I am a bit lax on seatbelt rules, but my wife is not she requires kids to sit on the couch with seatbelt most of the time, and especially if weather or traffic is bad.

My main rule is the Driver has to be belted. If in a fender bender or any accident I want the driver to stay behind the wheel where he or she can still steer. It would be really easy to be thrown away from the wheel even in a small accident.

An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome pulling a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
2002 Itasca Horizon 36'
2009 Buick Enclave

Mike and Trish

Southern Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/10 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scabello wrote:

A 30,000 lbs motorhome that slams into a 3000 car is just going to move that car and slide it right along.

But a motorhome that slams into a semi or bridge abutment will ... ?

scabello wrote:

Remember riding the school bus as a kid and there were NO SEATBELTS? This is not because people are stupid it is that it really is not necessary when you are in a big and heavy vehicle.

I hope you don't seriously believe this.

The fact that school buses don't have seat belts doesn't mean kids are safe without them, it's a matter of practicality and budget priorities. Kids are killed in school bus accidents from time to time, but not in large enough numbers to compel the huge expense of equipping buses with belts, not to mention forcing kids to wear them.

That said, I'm not suggesting that we live in a "nanny state" where laws should protect us all from our own (and others') actions, just that we take reasonable steps to protect our innocent children from our (adults') decisions. Personally, I don't care if someone wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, unless we collide, in which case I don't think it's my fault he made that choice. But I hope that even those who would take such reckless chances for themselves, would be more careful when it comes to their kids, who aren't of an age to take responsibility for themselves.

Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2014 Honda CR-V on Blue Ox towbar
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

dezertcamper

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/10 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are allot of gray area's when it comes to motorhomes, and seat belts are just one. Did you know that the police cant search your motorhome like they can you car? Your motorhome has the same rights as you home does and this is why if an officer feels the need to search you will end up with several officers on site, and I have even heard of the police having to request a search warrant before entry. If not the case could get thrown out for illegal search and entry. Also carrying and transporting weapons is different too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Laws on children in motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS