|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Subaru Forester toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Afaik you cannot tow a Subaru automatic with 2 wheels down, or 4 wheels down. If it is an automatic it must be trailered. Maybe there is some modification available to allow this??? Manual may be towed 4 wheels down but not 2 wheels down (dolly).

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LTalbot wrote:

OK I've read what Subaru has to say -- and they say nothing about a Forester, auto, AWD, on a dolly. Would this work with the drive shaft disconnected?

In theory it should, but it would be a real hassle to crawl under a vehicle this low to the ground and disconnect the rear driveshaft.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/10 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

OK I've read what Subaru has to say -- and they say nothing about a Forester, auto, AWD, on a dolly. Would this work with the drive shaft disconnected?

IMO, this comment addresses the AWD auto Forester:

"AWD Subaru vehicles with automatic transmission can only be towed with all four wheels OFF of the ground. Therefore, if you are interested in towing a Subaru behind your motorhome, we would suggest purchasing a manual transmission Subaru."

I would guess that it would be ok on a dolly with the driveshaft disconnected. That could be a real pain. I've never dropped a Subaru driveshaft. On my Audi it's a multi-hour job. This restriction is a real bummer. We gave up a perfectly good Subaru that would have made a great dinghy, but it was, alas, an auto.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

Afaik you cannot tow a Subaru automatic with 2 wheels down, or 4 wheels down. If it is an automatic it must be trailered. Maybe there is some modification available to allow this??? Manual may be towed 4 wheels down but not 2 wheels down (dolly).

Subaru automatics cannot be towed 4 or 2 wheels down. The center differential is a different type compared to the manual transmission Subaru. An automatic can only be carried on a trailer.

If you want an automatic you have choices with some other brands like Honda, chevy or Jeep.

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

LTalbot wrote:

In theory it should, but it would be a real hassle to crawl under a vehicle this low to the ground and disconnect the rear driveshaft.

When I installed the rear differential steel protector on my '98 way back when, I found it pretty close quarters to even think about working on the rear u-joints. The rear is IRS so the only thing that moves are the rear wheels.

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked the Remco web site, www.remcotowing.com. Remco makes many adaptors to make untowable cars towable, including drive shaft couplers. They say that all automatic Subarus since 1992 must be trailered.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Subaru Forester toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS