|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Geostar Tires, sold by Sears

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
FeeLine

Middletown, NJ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/10 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Geostar G535 Premium Service Hwy tires sold by Sears.

I was doing a search for tires, and came across an add for these tires.

The add shows $1662.76 for 6 tires, or $1742.64, size 275/70R22.5 H/16 TL 148/145 M BSW

Paul & Ellen with Daphne & Digby 2006 HR Ambassador 40 PLQ, 2004 Jeep Liberty. F.M.C.A. F241322
Good Sam

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/10 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick google search brings up a website which is not fully functional yet which leads to Tireco, Inc., which states they are the "Exclusive Distributor of Nankang Made Products in North America". So, I guess your question might become about Nankang tires, unless more information becomes available on the geostar site.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/10 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen several truckers running Nankang steer tires (Korean, IIRC)...I might use them.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

FeeLine

Middletown, NJ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/10 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does any know the significant of these parts of the tire designation (H/16 TL 148/145 M BSW). I'm guessing that the H is the weight rating, the TL my stand for trailer, but I can't even take at shot at the rest of the code.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/10 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sears is owned by KMart and KMart is owned by the cheapest person in the business world, so why would you think this is a mistake.... We no longer shop Sears or KMart, unless we're looking for the cheapest China junk we can find.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/10 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the website for the importer/distributor, "about the company" links to an "under construction" page.

I'm surprised Sears jumped on this one, since they have house brands from Cooper to cover lower prices, and from Michelin for premium prices. Maybe a local buyer?

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen Nankangs for more than ten years...they're not new to the market.

Many 22.5" tires have an M or N speed rating.

FeeLine

Middletown, NJ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tatest,

Thanks for all the info. Information about the quality of the tire appears to be very limited at this point. They seam to be new to the America market. Hopefully more info will become available as some of these tires hit the road.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/10 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FeeLine wrote:

Does any know the significant of these parts of the tire designation (H/16 TL 148/145 M BSW). I'm guessing that the H is the weight rating, the TL my stand for trailer, but I can't even take at shot at the rest of the code.

H=load range, 16=ply, TL=tubeless, 148/145=weight rate single/dual, M=speed rating 81MPH, BSW=Blackside wall.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/10 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

H is the Load Range, functionally replaces Ply Rating (16). It doesn't become a weight or load rating until size is considered.

148/145 are the Load Index which translates to a maximum (at maximum load inflation pressure) for single and dual applications; these numbers combine Load Range with size. I know, for example, that I need at least 115/112. 148/145 corresponds to 6844/6393 pounds.

M is the speed rating, 81 mph. I'd want to see at least a Q for highway driving in hot weather. Temporary spares get N, most OEM truck tires are R or S.

M is typical for a trailer tire in countries where heavy trucks are limited to 80 or 90 kph, but not really something for a motorhome. That 81 mph is a 10 minute limit at a standard lab temperature running against a smooth wheel.

BSW is black side wall.

Just found the TL - means tubeless.

* This post was last edited 07/10/10 10:07pm by tatest *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Geostar Tires, sold by Sears
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS