RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Installing BATWING crankup antenna on POPUP

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Installing BATWING crankup antenna on POPUP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/10 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 STARCRAFT RT14 off-road popup and want to install a BAT WING crankup antenna on the top. The top is the Starcraft Fiberglass type. I have a good location picked out to allow for folding down which will place the mounting head close to the ceiling fan and one of the ceiling lights.. Question is how the top is made. Is there 1x2 support members every so many inches sandwiched in the top. I will need to drill a hole for antenna cable to route it through the top to a corner area and down to the TV location.. Anyone done this on a popup ? Hopefully there is space inside the top to do this... I havent dropped the interior lamp yet to see how it is fed with 12VDC wiring.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/10 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest "dropping" the lamp, or anything else, and either run a snake or a bent coat hanger into the cavity and see where it goes....never put a hole in mine. You could always call the mfg. with your VIN number and ask them.
J

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J - I think I am going to have to move the crank-up handle to the center of top between the roof mounted A/C and the edge of the top. The crank-up handle drops down pretty far at least 4-5 inches... The middle of the domed top is the best spot to add the crank-up handle. I actually have alot of room in that area and use it to store alot of things when I pack up. The beds leave about 12 inches gap in the middle of top when they are pulled in to pack up... There is already a white cable panduit there for the A/C 120Vac cable. Going thru the interior ceiling and adding the RF cable will not look all that bad at that location.. By the way I dont have to unhook these cable as they go down from the roof through a seem of the canvas and all that will bend and fold up when you lower the top. Being a ham radio guy, I already have roof mounted VHF antennas and route those cables through the canvas... It is a good idea to always have a NOAH WX radio on alert mode when you are camping in a pop-up... Mine is wired and mounted in my fold-over sink area - always on... Appreciate your thoughts.. I'm about ready to tackle it - for better or worse... So far all of my mods have come out good... Dont know if you have tried over-the-air HDTV... I get the network HDTV broadcasts just about everywhere I camp in full screen HD mode... Its all free HDTV... The new TV system is either good full force or nothing at all haha... The BATWING SENSAR IV antenna sure does a good job for me on a pole up the side of the popup so I think I will go ahead and make it a perm mounting.. with the knobs on the inside I can point it in the right direction eaasier... Everything you do is to make momabear happy - if she doesnt go camping then I dont get to go camping haha...

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled down the interior light and do see the 12VDC wiring inside the ceiling. The ceiling interior is all FOAM and looks like maybe only 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick. The wiring was run next to the ceiling side with the foam cut out with something over to the wall side of the top. There is a small hole in plastic trim where the wiring comes through from the top. If I attempt this (hehe) I think I will drill my cable hole all the way through the interior ceiling and just run a piece of small plastic wiring duct (from Lowes) from where it comes through the ceiling to the wall. The other alternative would be to cut out a larger hole on the inside ceiling and make a path through the foam to the wall like the other 12V wiring was installed. Then cover the access hole I just made with a plastic wall plate cover. I also have noticed that when the top is down there isnt going to be much room between the ceiling and the slide in bed area. I have 3" magic foam mattress on both ends of the popup. The top is domed abit with the most room being the air conditioner area. I may have to rethink where my antenna crank-up knob is going to be installed. Was hoping someone else has done this mod and has some good guidence for me

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy....unless you find someone who has been into your make/model/year rig, it's gonna' be tough to positively ID what's in your roof! (I do understand you want to hide things if possible---but you can buy white cable, too!)

FWIW: I've been able to "pull" add-on wiring using other OEM, existing wiring. If it looks like there's room for the antenna cable along with the 12V DC in the cutout foam, you could always snip the 12V line where it comes out of ceiling hole near thye wall, and use it to pull another cable back through the roof.....you would need to also pull another wire attached to the cut 12V cable---so you could get the orig. 12V back to the existing hole near the wall----then do a cable tv connector plate, with or without a shallow box.

OR, if that looks like a major project, maybe come straight through ceiling as you mention, and install a typical cable-tv connector plate like a home install---no need for a shallow plastic elec. box, but you might get one to fit above interior ceiling if you cut the hole and then the foam (I've used a number of them (Carlon part #B108R avail, at many box/hardware stores---they're blue PVC and just 1 1/4" deep) in both wall & ceiling applications in my PUP, TT, and TH), and just disconnect the interior cable when you fold up....a couple small white velcro strips would keep the interior cable out of the way
A number of ways depending on what you can see thriugh your ceiling light access hole!
J

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/10 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tip

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/10 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Winegard HA-0130 ($40) antenna (called Hide Away RV Antenna) that is real easy to put up and take down. It has a bracket that mounts to the side of the top. This has worked out great for us too... It should have alittle more gain than your rabit ears will have... It stores real good too... Pull it inside itself and it is a round tube.. This is my backup antenna and stays with the popup... Lays inside when I bring down the top...

Winegard Pop Up Hideaway RV TV Antenna HA-0130
Hideaway HDTV Antenna
Omnidirectional over the air antenna. opens and closes like an umbrella. stores in weatherprotected tube with rain cap when traveling. VHF/UHF/FM antenna receives signal in all directions without rotator. Includes 75 ohm cable with connectors and mounting hardware.

HA-0130 Winegard Hideaway Antenna

larson6

Eldon, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/10 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I havent had much luck getting my pictures to post on here... All I get is a little square with a RED x in it... Ill figure it out sooner or later... What kind of POPUP trailer are you wanting to put this in.... I ordered the Winegard SENSAR IV batwing crank-up BATWING antenna. I am just using the BATWING antenna at the present time mounted on a mast that I put on one corner of the StarCraft RT14.. It works real good picking up over-the-air HDTV just about everywhere I end up camping at. Its a bit tricky finding the stations sometimes since everytime you move the antenna, you have to re-scan the TV... I started out using DirecTv but had real bad luck making it work everywhere. You always pick a site that is under the trees haha... Finally give up on the sat TV. It was neat to have tho because everywhere you went you was able to receive the local channels you were signed up for... Kinda neat watching local Washington DC channels way out in OKLA somewhere haha... HDTV is great when it works -

Mines a Coachmen. I just like the idea of having something already there ready to go instead of another item to setup/takedown. Right now I just use a set of rabbit ears on a base and throw it up on the roof. It works good enough usually to get one or two local stations so I can get some weather in case a storm comes through.

94 Suburban
06 Coachmen Clipper 128st

Nights camped
2008=28
2009=25
2010=25
2011=22

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I havent had much luck getting my pictures to post on here... All I get is a little square with a RED x in it... Ill figure it out sooner or later... What kind of POPUP trailer are you wanting to put this in.... I ordered the Winegard SENSAR IV batwing crank-up BATWING antenna. I am just using the BATWING antenna at the present time mounted on a mast that I put on one corner of the StarCraft RT14.. It works real good picking up over-the-air HDTV just about everywhere I end up camping at. Its a bit tricky finding the stations sometimes since everytime you move the antenna, you have to re-scan the TV... I started out using DirecTv but had real bad luck making it work everywhere. You always pick a site that is under the trees haha... Finally give up on the sat TV. It was neat to have tho because everywhere you went you was able to receive the local channels you were signed up for... Kinda neat watching local Washington DC channels way out in OKLA somewhere haha... HDTV is great when it works -

larson6

Eldon, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have much to offer as far as help, but I've been wanting to do this mod myself so I'll be following along if you don't mind. Hopefully you'll have some pics?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Installing BATWING crankup antenna on POPUP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS