RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Oil Change on E450?? Any suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Oil Change on E450?? Any suggestions?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
miyzfrider

Michigan and Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting tired of trying to find a decent price for an oil change. Camping World is upwards of $90 as is several of the local dealerships.

So I'm thinking of doing it myself. I've changed the oil on a car and motorcycle, so I figure a truck/van type engine like a 2002 E450 V10 shouldn't be too different, other than more oil needed and a larger filter.....right???

Anyone have any experience with doing it yourself...or why not?

Current Rig
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crew Cab, 6L 3.73
2013 Palomino Solaire 28QBSS 33' TT

Prior Rig
2003 31' Gulf Stream Conquest Class C (Ford E-450)
2007 Honda CR-V AWD Toad

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to do that on my vehicles and don’t think it’s that big a deal with a V-10. If, that is, you can find the oil filter and have a proper wrench for it and that will fit and do the job.

In the old days (please don’t ask what I did in the REALLY old days ) I collected the waste oil in one of those disposable roasting pans, poured it into the empty oil bottles using a funnel, and hoped to return it to the local oil change place. (I realize that said pan might not be large enough for a V-10’s oil).

Now I’m no longer willing to mess with that stuff and so pay someone else to do it. Big $$.

Chris

mikhen

oley, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy access to filter and drain plug. Took minutes in my driveway. I still need to locate all the grease fittings, though.

2005 Sunseeker 3100 QBS
camping Pa...The most FREE camping giveaways in Pa

woolfy

Saint Charles Mo.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a problem to do it your self for under $25.00 per oil change with oil and filter. Or go to a place like Jiffy Lube with doors big enough to go in. In an E 450 it's only six quarts of oil and filter like a van. To make it easier install on of these on your oil pan Link Would like to know why they charge so much.

2010 Allegro 32 BA Ford V10
Greyhounds are angels sent from God to test our humanity

crrroger

Spring Creek, Nevada/Rainbow Acres, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it myself on all my vehicles.

Invest in a Fumoto valve....about $25....and install it on your first oil change. After that, each subsequent oil change is a much easier and MUCH less messy job.

Walmart carries Ford Motorcraft oil in 5-20 weight which is what your V10 likes. They also have appropiate oil and air filters.

Save the empty oil jugs and refill them with drain oil the next time you change oil.......and then take them to Walmart for free disposal.

Do it yourself....save money and know that it is done right.

2005 Triple E Regency Class C with a 1990 Daihatsu Rocky toad.

miyzfrider

Michigan and Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like doing it myself is the way I'm going to go. How about grease fittings on an E450? Mine is an '02. Should they be done every oil change and if so, where are they exactly and how is that best done. I know some you don't want to put too much in or you can blow a seal. Is that the case with the ones on the E450?

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's easier to change the oil and filter on an E450 than a car because there is more ground clearance so ramps aren't required. I drain mine into a dish pan of sufficient size to easily hold the 6 quarts, then pour thru a funnel into an empty bleach bottle to take for disposal. Six quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft 820S filter adds up to less than $20 at WalMart.

On our 2003 chassis, there are 4 grease fittings on the steering linkage. Recommended interval for the grease is 15,000 miles. There are no grease fittings on the ball joints or the drive shaft universal joints.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/10 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others noted, it's easy to change the oil and filter on this engine. With one warning... The filter mounts open end up. On most vehicles set up like this, "some" oil comes down with the filter and it doesn't add up to much as long as you don't spill the filter. On the V10, the oil cooler adapter's up there too, full of oil. So be ready for more oil than you might expect when removing the filter.

Eight grease fittings. One on each of four ball joints. They came with plugs and I installed those fittings. One on each outer tie rod end, one on each inner tie rod end.

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one of those large round covered black plastic oil drain container things that has a pour spout and a drain hole with a cap. Drain the engine oil, replace drain plug and tighten firmly, unscrew and remove filter with filter wrench and let it drain into the container, install new filter snugly, pour five quarts of new oil into engine using a special funnel. Run engine and watch for any leakage from the new oil filter. Put old filter in a plastic bag in the trash. Put the cap on the container's drain hole and take it to an auto supply store that recycles oil, they will dump it for you and give you back the empty container. Keep a record of oil and filter changes with dates and receipts for oil and filter as/if needed to support your drive train warranty. This is also a good time to check your engine and house battery electrolyte levels, brake fluid, power steering fluid, condition of belts and hoses and tire pressures. Follow your owners manual for periodic maintenance. I was advised by Ford Dealer's RV service rep to change oil in my seldom-driven E-450 every six months instead of the mileage-based schedule in the owners manual.

awsmom8

Just Outside Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Walmart near me changes the oil on motor homes. But I wonder if I should trust them....they won't give me a price either--they say it depends on how much oil it takes.

Women who obey the rules don't have any fun!
1998 Class C Jamboree 29' Bunkhouse KidHauler 30,000 miles
1998 Saturn SW with 40,000 miles
1993 & 1995 year kids
My Best Friend Frosty-Chi/jack Russel Mix
My Other Best Friend Garmin 330
sedonananny.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Oil Change on E450?? Any suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search