|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> rusty screws under molding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
6.7Cummins

Vancouver wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While inspecting my roof I found some rust stains around that molding/trim that covers the screws on the roof. (the molding is found everywhere around a camper)

Anywho this is waht I found behind it. Lots of water. and I know it look like it but the caulking was NOT sealing it in any way. I did find a VERY minimal amount of clear silicone cauling smeared under that molding along the length of the roof. As if to seal the screws, but in a very poor attempt. ALL the screws are very rusty along the entire top of my camper.

'08 dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins. 5" exhaust, 120 HP injectors, Smarty, Stage II VGT turbo.
'06, 25'Dutchmen rainier

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like the wrong type of screw was used. You can leave it alone or replace the screws with stainless steel ones. Since they are covered the appearace will not show.

6.7Cummins

Vancouver wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems the molding is only for looks. It's traping the water in. Might be a good idea to swap them out for some SS screws then caulk over the heads. Ohh look more money i get to spend! LOL

cpaharley2008

york,pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/10 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is potential for leaks here, if the screws are rusty then water is present and can get inside thru the screw holes. I'd replace all the screws with stainless steel ones purchased from a marine store. Inspect the holes for damp wood. Dry the wetness and try to seal any area with a marine based sealer, Then carefully caulk each screw and reattach the trim which holds your roof edge. Then either use Dicor or Eternabond sealer on the outside. This plastic moulding insert has historically hidden this problem on other trailers until the damage is too great to hide anymore.

2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

6.7Cummins

Vancouver wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well time to go inspect all of the areas I see this in use. Thank you
Another thing I learned.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.7Cummins one can clearly tell by the rust stain that plastic trim has been standing full of water in the past as you stated. Delamination can occur from the water being fed into the top of the side walls by those screws.

Based on our MH with the same flat roof/90 degree roof edge you can see how when the caulking failed water was able to feed in between the roof and metal gutter/trim.

To stop future damage we came over the edge of the roof with Web Seal Eternabond and coated it with Liquid Rubber about a 1/4 to 1/2 of the way down on the plastic trim covering the screw heads.

This stops all flow of water from the roof from gaining access to the side walls from the crack between the metal and the rubber roof materials.

Just to apply the Eternabond along the roof edge took a good day because I had to use a putty knife making all those 90 degree corners with high PSI. Then taping along the plastic strip of trim was hard because I was working off of a step ladder. The two coats of Liquid Rubbler were applied using a step ladder as well.

Deciding where to stop the Eternabond/Liquid Rubber was not easy. I decided on stop on the plastic trim should I ever need to get to the screws I can remove it from the bottom edge of the plastic and raise it up since it is now hinged with Eternabond/Liquid Rubber.

Time will tell but at least now our plastic trim can not fill with water like yours did. I removed a good amount of the trim before I sealed it all up but did not see any signs of trapped water/rust stains like in your photos.

I did find some trapped water in the trim that covers the metal strip where the rear cap attaches to the MH by screws but that should never happen again because we have a one piece roof system that comes over all four edges of the MH roof.

6.7Cummins

Vancouver wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I can do a neat enough job I might just keep the cover off. Right now it just seems cosmetic. And a place to trap/pool water.

cpaharley2008

york,pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly, the cover just hides the problem. Lance trailers switched from using covers and all their seams are open and each screw is ss and caulked. Easy to observe and replace.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.7Cummins wrote:

If I can do a neat enough job I might just keep the cover off. Right now it just seems cosmetic. And a place to trap/pool water.

I totally agree that should be your goal. Not sure why it was that tight but ours is a 1993 and the plastic trim has contracted some over the years so it could be slide backwards and forward some while still in the track.

If the screw heads just twist off when you try to remove them I would consider just leaving them and going with new stainless screws midway between the old ones.

Getting it so water can not seep in that the trim line should stop any future damage. I used Web Seal Eternabond because it can make a 180 degree bend just fine and stay that way for 20+ years. The Liquid Rubber was my choice for UV protection of the Web Seal.

Wheelspinner

Post Falls Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 12:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a job for sure. If I remember right another member posted a rather long photoed thread on how he did the edge of his roof with eternabond. It looked similar to your situation and the result looked great. Search the forum for it and you might pick up some ideas and tips and tricks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> rusty screws under molding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS