|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Moving those bed lift supports was a great idea

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
livingaboard

Everett wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/10 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After putting the foam topper on my Queen bed it did not lift easy at all. I removed the struts and they seemed pretty good still. After reading several posts here I decided to try moving the supports towards the foot of the bedwhich gives me more leverage and just a bit less lift height.

It worked really well and saved me a few bucks. I still have plenty of room to access the under bed area.

My struts are 120lb rated, each.

I thought if this didn't work I would try the 150 lb supports.

Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/10 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a great idea.

I replaced my lightweight mattress with a heavier one that is much more comfortable, and yet heavy.

I will have to try the same thing, or else add a third strut.

I just don't know where to buy heavier struts. Anyone got a source? I need to replace a couple of door struts on my Bounder and a Country Coach.

I googled, and this came up. http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-suppo........s-products.php?ext=19&type=uni&x=11&y=12

It looks like 19" struts with 3/8" hole in each end will work for my bed struts. I could use a 3/8" lag screw into the exsisting wood re-enforcement that the factory installed on the lower end, and perhaps buy a new bracket for the bed platform side to attach to.

Only $22 each for a 75 pound force strut. I might get a pair of 35 pound struts to add to my exsisting struts (I don't know the capacity of the factory struts, but would guess they are close to 100# that the original post found his to be rated at.) I am thinking that an extra pair of 35# struts will make up for the extra weight of my bed.

Thanks,

Fred.

* This post was edited 07/18/10 12:18am by Golden_HVAC *

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/10 02:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to order some struts and install a second one on each side, next to my exsisting factory installed bed lift struts. I bought 21" because my exsisting are 19" - 19.5" and I will mount the new ones a little below the factory ones (bedframe side), and further up the bed platform (top side) so they do not interfere with each other's opperation.

I bought them here. http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-suppo........s-products.php?ext=19&type=uni&x=11&y=12

I bought two struts for the bed, 62# rating, and 20.9" long with 3/8" ball mount at each end. I also bought some ball mount brackets to go into the wood frame the bed sits on, and another into the bed platform top.

And I ordered some 15" extended length struts to replace a couple of weak door openers. I have no idea what weight I need, so I got a 20# and 26# rated strut, it will do the trick, but might make it a little to difficult to close? Will have to update once they arrive.

The 14 year old basement cargo doors tend to fall down after I open them and walk more than 3' away from the door, it slams shut. I have some wide doors, and skinny ones, all look like the same "Superspring" strut design and weight capacity, I wonder why they did not have stronger springs for the wider doors, and lighter spring for the skinny and light weight doors.

I hope that the 26# strut will be strong enough to resist the wind pushing it shut, yet still be weak enough that I can close it without troubles. I have only 1 strut per cargo door.

Thanks for the idea to google door struts, I think I will have a great project when they arrive, and I get around to installing them. And I can start to use my under the bed storage again! And the cargo doors will not self-close anymore. Once I figure out how much force a 20# strut has, I will know to order more of the 10# or 26# or 30# door struts. I really think that 40# is overkill, but they have those as well.

Fred.

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/10 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I replaced my lightweight mattress with a heavier one that is much more comfortable, and yet heavy.

I just don't know where to buy heavier struts. Anyone got a source? I need to replace a couple of door struts on my Bounder and a Country Coach.

Thanks,

Fred.

I've bought several at Camping World

Never pass up a chance to go somewhere

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/10 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea! I purchased my last pair at Auto Zone.

livingaboard

Everett wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/10 01:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I googled, and this came up. http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-suppo........s-products.php?ext=19&type=uni&x=11&y=12

It looks like 19" struts with 3/8" hole in each end will work for my bed struts. I could use a 3/8" lag screw into the exsisting wood re-enforcement that the factory installed on the lower end, and perhaps buy a new bracket for the bed platform side to attach to.

Only $22 each for a 75 pound force strut. I might get a pair of 35 pound struts to add to my exsisting struts (I don't know the capacity of the factory struts, but would guess they are close to 100# that the original post found his to be rated at.) I am thinking that an extra pair of 35# struts will make up for the extra weight of my bed.

Thanks,

Fred.

There are some good sources on Ebay of course. Your part number on the strut should indicate the lbs of lift. With the part number you should be able to look up compressed length and other specs without having to measure

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/10 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McMaster-CarrThe page for locating the strut and designing the lift is great.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

livingaboard

Everett wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/10 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I decided to order some struts and install a second one on each side, next to my exsisting factory installed bed lift struts. I bought 21" because my exsisting are 19" - 19.5" and I will mount the new ones a little below the factory ones (bedframe side), and further up the bed platform (top side) so they do not interfere with each other's opperation.

I bought them here. http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-suppo........s-products.php?ext=19&type=uni&x=11&y=12

I bought two struts for the bed, 62# rating, and 20.9" long with 3/8" ball mount at each end. I also bought some ball mount brackets to go into the wood frame the bed sits on, and another into the bed platform top.

And I ordered some 15" extended length struts to replace a couple of weak door openers. I have no idea what weight I need, so I got a 20# and 26# rated strut, it will do the trick, but might make it a little to difficult to close? Will have to update once they arrive.

The 14 year old basement cargo doors tend to fall down after I open them and walk more than 3' away from the door, it slams shut. I have some wide doors, and skinny ones, all look like the same "Superspring" strut design and weight capacity, I wonder why they did not have stronger springs for the wider doors, and lighter spring for the skinny and light weight doors.

I hope that the 26# strut will be strong enough to resist the wind pushing it shut, yet still be weak enough that I can close it without troubles. I have only 1 strut per cargo door.

Thanks for the idea to google door struts, I think I will have a great project when they arrive, and I get around to installing them. And I can start to use my under the bed storage again! And the cargo doors will not self-close anymore. Once I figure out how much force a 20# strut has, I will know to order more of the 10# or 26# or 30# door struts. I really think that 40# is overkill, but they have those as well.

Fred.

I got the idea from somebody here to put on baggage latches instead of replacing all my basement door struts. So I put on a $5 baggage latch on each door and now my doors are pretty much up against the rv when opened and I have full access to my basement without having to bend down below a door. I don't have to worry about hitting my head on the doors either.

I took all my struts and threw them away.

shanwick

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/10 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another place you might try is West Marine. They carry gas struts.

2007 Travel Supreme Envoy 40DS04
Cummins ISL 400

howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/10 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try PPL in Houston, TX. They have a wide variety of struts at a reasonable price. Arnold

1999 National Tradewinds
2001 Honda Odyssey--Toad
Fulltime Wanabee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Moving those bed lift supports was a great idea
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts