RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Sigsbee RV Park in Key West (military)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Sigsbee RV Park in Key West (military)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RonAllen

SouthFlorida moving to Pensacola,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/10 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be heading to Key West next week without a toed. Can any military RVers give me some info please. I have never stayed at Sigsbee. Will I have problems getting full hookups this time of year?
Also is there a bus close by that we can ride to the main town area?
Thanks, RonA

Retired USN SMC
2003 Dolphin LX 36' 8.1

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It goes by rank,and suggest you call ahead, as they will need all your data,if they have a spot.

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've stayed at Sigbee a 2-3 times and rank has never been an issue or even consideration. In fact, we've stayed in milcamps all over the US and rank has never been a factor or consideration. Milcamps are MWR operations.
We've never had a problem getting in after March or April. We were there in June one year and Sigbee was only about 1/2 occupied.
Give the staff at Sigbee a call. They've always been extremely helpful and great to deal with. You can find their number and also info concerning Sigbee at this link - Sigbee .
Sorry, can't help you about the bus route. It was not a factor for us so we never checked out their routes. Someone at the Sigbee link above could help.

Camped in every state but Alaska

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/10 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just stayed there last week. Hated to come home, but got to make a living. It was the perfect place to follow a week at Mickey's house!

Had no problem getting a spot. Might want to check, because we heard of a festival coming up in near future. Might be the Pappa Hemingway Festival. Don't know if that will fill the place up, though.

The main CG is towards the back of the base. I think it would be a long walk out to the main road. Not sure if the base has transportation. The Key West Trolley has a stop nearby on the main road. Its a tourist trolley and you pay a daily rate to ride all day. Might have a local bus line, not sure.

The travel office, PX and commissary are close walks. Travel office can provide discounted tickets to area attractions as well as the trolley.

They have two areas with FHUs. One is more developed, but the less developed is closer to the main road. This area has smaller sites. The main problem in these sites is the lack of parking for a second vehicle. If your rig can fit there, the walk to the main road might be doable.

I 2nd the suggestion to call the MWR office. They were great, and Ms. Loretta, the camp host was equally great. They will steer you in the right direction.

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Doug and Cassi Glass

Satellite Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/10 04:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent last winter at Sigsbee and will be back again in November. Rank is not an issue at any military camground I've ever stayed at.

Sigsbee should be about half full now with everybody in FHU sites. Ask for a front row site in Hollywood. That'll put you right on the water. I don't think there is a bad site in Hollywood or Main Circle. Hollywood is closer to exchange, commissary, Sunset Lounger, and teen center.

We biked into town every day. The whole island is only 2 miles by 4 miles and FLAT with bike paths on the sidewalks most of the way into town.

If you go the bike route make sure you lock them up. Bicycle theft is a big problem in Key West. The base requires helmets for all bicycle riders and closed toes shoes. No flipflops or sandels but Crocs are okay.

Gotta have your ID card to re-enter EVERY time.

Rent a car or golf cart is another option. The ITT office across the street and a little to the left of the commissary will have that info.

The food at Sunset Lounge is outstanding and a great location.

READ CLOSELY: THE SPEED LIMIT IS 15 (FIFTEEN) MILES AN HOUR all over the base except on the causeway (35) and in campgrounds (5) and it is strictly enforced. I got a "safe driving award" our second night there for 24 in a 15 zone. Only base I've ever been on with a 15 MPH speed limit all over. They drive white sedans and pickups.

They'll need rabies certificates for pets, veh reg, military ID, and insurance upon check-in.

RonAllen

SouthFlorida moving to Pensacola,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is great information. Thanks folks. I called and they said should be no problem with getting a hook-up site in July. RonA

deboca

Canton MA USA - Venice FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/10 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at this Sigsbee website and notice there are quite a few RV Parks throughout the USA. There are a number of parks that interest me. Question - Is it possible for non militairy just plain civilian to gain entry into these parks??
look forward to your comments
Gerry

2004 F350 SuperDuty 4x4,Crew-Cab,diesel,long bed,DRW-Happi Jacks, airbags
2004 "Sun-Lite" 1055SS :
Visit our camper at:
http://www.acumentrics.com/gerrit/camper%231.jpg

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deboca wrote:

. Question - Is it possible for non militairy just plain civilian to gain entry into these parks??
look forward to your comments
Gerry

Generally - no. Quite a few are on military installations. They're run by the MWR.
There are a couple that permit non-military but for nearly all of them a person has to be active, reserve/national guard, retired, or 100% disabled military and most will permit DOD employees. Some will permit non-military if they are a guest of one of the groups listed above. However, those are usually restricted to space available access.

Richert

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/10 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only way a civilian gets into 99% of military CG's, FAM Camps or whatever is to be with a military person of some status as described above. One of the benefits.

Blake
2000 Kountry Star 3565
98 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Mont G&J

Missoula, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/10 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
Reviews and information about Sigsbee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Sigsbee RV Park in Key West (military)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS