|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Window AC Installation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jyh818

Chino, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 01:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today in Vegas, it reached 117 degrees F. It was unbearable in the trailer. 13.5 BTU AC on full blast 24/7 couldn't lower the temp. inside below 99F. Wanted to get a window unit and put it in the escape hatch window.

Any ideas on how to install something like this? I was thinking maybe one of those drive in window trays, but a more sturdier version to help support it. This would be a temporary install where I can remove it when traveling.

Thanks for your help.

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

instead just buy one of those roll around portable AC units and just run the exhaust tube out a window in which you put a piece of cardboard, etc. with a hole cut in it.
bumpy

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen people with the window units installed. Besides whatever tray they had, there was also a support under the tray to the ground. I should know enough to take pictures when I see things like that.
The in-room air conditioners can also drain into a shower.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opie431 wrote:

I have seen people with the window units installed. Besides whatever tray they had, there was also a support under the tray to the ground. I should know enough to take pictures when I see things like that.
The in-room air conditioners can also drain into a shower.

it is not the draining that is the problem. it is the exhausting of the hot air.
bumpy

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jyh818 wrote:

Today in Vegas, it reached 117 degrees F. It was unbearable in the trailer. 13.5 BTU AC on full blast 24/7 couldn't lower the temp. inside below 99F. Wanted to get a window unit and put it in the escape hatch window.

Any ideas on how to install something like this? I was thinking maybe one of those drive in window trays, but a more sturdier version to help support it. This would be a temporary install where I can remove it when traveling.

Thanks for your help.

I have a 6500btu window AC unit installed to help with the Texas heat. It makes a huge difference and took about 4 hours to install. I used a frame of 2x4s and a piece if thin plywood to make a window frame. It is easily removable and requires not tray or ground support.

The window AC at Home Depot was 1/2 the cost of one of those portable units and takes up no extra space in my RV.

Details here...

Window AC install in RV

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 what bumpy said. Easiest way to handle it without modification of your rv

adamroof

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in Vegas at the KOA in the beginning of June and was only 106, but I thought my AC was broken as it wasn't cooling my TT down either. I don't have any helpful info aside from saying you are not alone.

Thanks AJones42 for the link, for ~$200 thats a great solution.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week at Myrtle Beach we initially thought something was wrong with the A/C as it wasn't cooling at first as fast as it had before. But the tmeperature outside was in the mid 90's and the humidity was over 90%. That evening when the temperatures dropped the A/C caught up and kept the inside very cool the duration of the trip.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)

DaCamper

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Bumpy...portable a/c unit is a good way to go. Getting it setup would be a lot quicker than window too.

My wife's cousin has one in her house...not sure what size it is, BTU wise, but that unit cools down about 700 square feet of open living room (including kitchen) really well. I don't think it is a very large unit at all. They definitely work.

wtd

nixa,mo usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/10 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At work, one of the offices has a portable AC unit and it works very well. They ran the exhaust vents out a window and sealed around them. I don't know how much it cost though.

Wayne

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Window AC Installation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS