RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Add window in front of trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Add window in front of trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Still Searchin'

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/10 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will be getting a new Jayco woodframed alum. sided trailer soon. Want to add a window in front. Thinking it should be easy enough to just cut a hole, add wood framing between outside alum. and inside panel around hole, and then install window. Finding wood framing for rock guard might be more challenging, but once hole is there, could use a heavy wire to find horizontal framing above hole, if any.

Anybody else done this?? All advice appreciated.

2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 01:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several of our former Jaycos had the front window with awning/cover...we really liked it. Good view out the front of the rv when we were in bed. But our JayFlight 5er doesn't have one, and we thought we'd add one...but after consideration I decided not to mess with it!

Why add another potential leak point? Another area to reseal...another point for additional heat loss or cooling loss?

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't do it.
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My BIL had an older Allegro MH with what he called "eyebrow" windows in the front. He tried everything and could never get them to stop leaking.
bumpy

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/10 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

Don't do it.
bumpy

I agree. Front windows are notorious for being bad leak spots.

X3.

Had a class C with a window over the cab, it was a never ending battle trying to keep that thing sealed. Ultimately it would win and the bunk would get soak.

Just think about it this way. It's raining, you got a 20mph headwind, and you're driving 70mph. That's water hitting that cheap RV window at 90mph for hours. Most home windows can't even take that type of abuse for a short time without leaking.

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Don't do it.
bumpy

I agree. Front windows are notorious for being bad leak spots.

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

Still Searchin'

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/10 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting back to the original question, has anybody added their own window and what issues did you have to deal with?
Regarding leakage: we have a 21 one year old trailer with a front window that only very rarely leaks, and never while driving, but rather, an occassional small leak after a hard all nighter rain storm. A small shelf or "catch lip" just under the window will catch any small leakage that might get inside the window and inside the rig from that window.

Harry Havasu

Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/10 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unlike many others, I'd say: GO FOR IT. I've not installed a window in a travel trailer, but installed many windows and several swamp coolers, sliding patio doors, etc. in stick built houses. And I've cut into the trailer skins many times to install electrical hatches, heater vents, etc..

But do your homework. Call the manufacturer. use a stud finder. And the heavy wire trick you described always works. Make a cardboard cutout the size of the hole and tape it in place to check all issues out before cutting. Then drill a small central exploration hole and shift the cardboard, if necessary.

I just happen to think that I can do a better job than any bored repairman, who does not have a vested interest in my investment.

Had a window once replaced after a break in and it took me a month with a shaprened ice cream stick and mineral spirits to get an acceptable putty line at the trim.

If I did it for you, I'd guarantee that it would never leak.

And, you may want to explore a matching rock guard or awning cover from your manufactured to finish the job - or a generic one.

In closing, I've had 5 trailers over the years with front windows and none ever leaked. And if I bought another trailer and it didn't have a front window, I'd surely put one in.

If this is a "fair and balanced" forum - you now have the other side

Best of luck,

Harry Havasu

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/10 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never done it. But you might be able to contact Jayco and get a blueprint type of document that shows where the wood pieces are. I know they once sent me a PDF that specified almost every black tank and where to drill the holes in them.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

pete42

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/10 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Harry Havasu if you want a window then by all means add a window.
I would think it would be easier to remove the aluminum from the front of the trailer build your window support cutout the inside opening reinstall the aluminum cutout the opening in the siding from inside tape, caulk, screw in the window and enjoy.
I had to remove some aluminum from the front of my trailer to repair some water damage went easy and I'm handicapped unable to walk or stand very well.
good luck and if after you get the window in an you see a mobility scooter go by wave.
pete

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Add window in front of trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS