RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fleetwood Flair Quality MH?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Flair Quality MH?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
OregonCoast

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/10 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found a few Fleetwood Flair motorhomes from 1990 to 1995 that I want to look at to possibly purchase. How is the quality of this rig compared to others during those years?
Thanks, Mark

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/10 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think the Flair was entry level back then. Have seen several of that vintage and they are nothing to write home about. Don't know what kind of money you want to spend, but you can buy a lot of coach for little money in that year range.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

B Bob

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/10 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Similar to buying a mid size Ford Tarus sedan from 1990 - 1995.

engr4fun

Escondido,CA,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/10 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My parents have a 1990 flair 24'. Yes entry level, but a solid MH. they have the ford chassis which I must admit was better than the Chevy at that time. I currently own a Flair on a Workhorse W22. the ford chassis had a fuel injected 460 puts out tons of power and little trouble. They have over 50,000 miles on it now and still runs strong. good place to start RVing.

Weldon Crew
John,Myra,Evan,Eric+2dogs
2005 Fleetwood Flair 34F 3 Slides W22&8.1L
Weekends+Any Chance We Get

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/10 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OregonCoast wrote:

I have found a few Fleetwood Flair motorhomes from 1990 to 1995 that I want to look at to possibly purchase. How is the quality of this rig compared to others during those years?
Thanks, Mark

It seems like all the MH's of that era that still look well enough that you would be proud to own are fine. The chassis typically is a Chevy 454/Ford 460 powered solid machine and if the house is still riding on it OK it will for another 15-20 years with some upkeep.

The only non repairable (in a practical sense) is long term water damage. Physically WALK the roof or have someone do it that you trust.

On this last point I am totally serious. If the decking feels soft in spots head for the ladder and go home.

Three years ago we bought about the same. It is a 1993 32' entry level GBM Pursuit on a 1992 P30 chassis. We are pleased it is ours and something we could pay cash for. The kids and I got serious with the water damage and got it leak proof before the structural damage got the best of it but the liner over the front seats show the signs of past leaking. We just removed the radio antenna and patched the hole well with Eternabond.

* This post was edited 07/28/10 09:11pm by Gale Hawkins *

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/10 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take your time to select a good Flair and I'm sure you will be quite happy with it. The enjoyment of an RV lifestyle far exceeds whatever it is that you are driving. And you may have a few bucks left over to actually do some traveling.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/10 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have a 99' Flair and absolutley love it. It is the 34D which is the largest and has the Ford V10. We tow a Malibu behind it with no problems. We bought it three 1/2 years ago used and only had to have the generator worked on due to a lack of use. We are very pleased with our purchase.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/10 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I have noted in this thread and others is how pleased down the road we owners of older ENTRY level MH's seem to be. The chassis and the box seem to be more or less the same quality it seems in most cases but just not as fancy or with as many bells added.

As the years pass we have few features that can fail can cause us headaches yet these ENTRY level MH's are very functional and can cost less per mile of use due to them not being so automated.

As noted before it seems any MH 10+ years old regardless of the brand that still looks and runs OK can be a keeper. They all have about the same chassis and appliance quality and the plain decor can age better sometimes too.

fastinated

Castalia NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/10 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 99' flair. It's entry level, but ours is very similar to the same year bounder. Our cabinets are fine, fabric is extremely durable, the mechanics are the same as the rest so just do a good walk through. Ours had previous leaks in the ceiling (sat or ant leaked). Ours is a styrofoam roof with a complete steel structure. Did some improvements in suspension (have the F53). We got alot for our $$$!!

Party of 5

OregonCoast

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/10 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like anything of the MH during those years will be pretty similar in build quality. I will need to do some research to understand how to fully inspect one to save me from possible costly repairs! Feel free to send me any links that you recommend. Thanks again, Mark

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Flair Quality MH?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS