Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Proper way to wash, wax, protect decals

Posted By: rvdreamin on 07/28/10 11:13pm

After each trip we power wash our TT and scrub with an rv brush and Turtle Wash & Wax product. At the start of this season I waxed the entire trailer for the 1st time and just waxed right over the decals. As I looked for recommended waxes I ran across information about not waxing decals, so I wondered what experienced RVers do for washing, waxing and protecting the decals - do you wash & wax and then apply a decal protectant at the end(sounds like the Aero 303 is the best for decals)? When waxing do you get up close to the decals or actually touch them? Will a product like Aero 303 revive any decal color or are my decals that look faded after my last wax job doomed to look that way forever? Any other suggestions for fading decals that are losing some edges or do you just accept that the UV eventually does them in?

Ford F350 4x4 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab - 5 speed TorqShift
2005 Fleetwood Wilderness 270FQS LE
Equal-i-zer WD

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 07/29/10 12:01am

Bottom line is that Petroleum Distillates found in most waxes and many "protectants" causes the vinyl to dryout, fade, curl and crack. The biggest supplier of the vinyls used in the RV Industry, 3M, soecificly says not to wax over graphics.

You can go to anyone who manufactures waxes or polish, or even vinyl treatments and look up the general Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) site and look at what materials and chemicals make up a specific product. In the case of waxes and protectorants, if the stuff contains petroleum distillates or/and "plasticizers"...don't use it on vinyl graphics. Period!

From a prior posting-

"If it contains petroleum distillates that some (most) waxes contain, which cause curling, cracking and peeling of the graphics to begin with...don't use it! Use 303 Aerospace, as it was specifically formulated to use on Aircraft vinyl and painted graphics and expensive full body "livery" on the commercial and private aircraft fuselage. If your graphics have already started to peel and curl, it may be too late! From the National Association of Sign Supply Distributors (NASSD), Professional Decal Association of America (PDAA)... "Refrain from using all-purpose protectants that contain petroleum solvents or plasticizers, which may cause vinyl decal edge lift." And the 3M company on vinyl graphic care-"Are there any special care instructions? The vinyl can be cleaned using a non-abrasive soap and water." and

"Q. How do I care for my graphics once they are installed onto my vehicle?
A. This is a vinyl product and should be cleaned and conditioned during your routine washing. Avoid car washes that use brushes or high pressure. We recommend hand washing. Any abrasives, oils and petroleum distillates should not be used on vinyl. Waxes should never be used on vinyl because most waxes contain petroleum distillates, and because wax is a build-up product, holding in the heat absorbed from the sun and accelerating heat damage."

303 Aerospace protectorant is like a SPF 40 sunscreen! Wipe it on, wipe it off. Originally formulated by Aerospace Chemists to protect commercial aircraft with $150,000.00 plus paint and graphics (Quantas, All Nippon, Korean Air, Japan Air, etc) safe and lasting a longer time without damage. And it worked! Nuff said!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: sharker6 on 07/29/10 05:28am

Try this, it's great and easy to apply to everything.

Ice

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

Posted By: sharker6 on 07/29/10 08:06am

tvman44 wrote:

Contains hydrocarbon polymers, isn't that the same as petroleum distillates?

sharker6 wrote:

Ice

Nope, it's basically a synthetic as stated in the link.

Can be applied to all exterior rubber, plastic and vinyl trim. If it was a petroleum distillate you couldn't use it on rubber, etc.

Posted By: tvman44 on 07/29/10 07:50am

Contains hydrocarbon polymers, isn't that the same as petroleum distillates?

sharker6 wrote:

Ice

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Print  |  Close