Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Battery disconnect switch won't work - help please?

Posted By: Camper Ken on 07/29/10 12:00pm

I noticed the other day my battery disconnect switch for the house batteries doesn't work. I can hear the usual relay-type click sound but it doesn't disconnect the 12v power from the batteries.

The switch is the momentary connect type, located just inside the entry door by the steps.

Any advice how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ken

2007 Winnebago Access 31c
(2006 Ford E450 chassis)

2013 Newmar Bay Star 3209 (32')

Posted By: Bordercollie on 07/29/10 12:09pm

Make sure electrical connections to the switch and relay are good and secure. It may be that the relay needs locating by the sound it makes and replacing it.

Posted By: JFG on 07/29/10 12:18pm

are you sure it's for the house batteries... mine is for the chassis batteries.
house battery disconnect is in battery bay.

Fred

Posted By: MNtundraRet on 07/29/10 03:29pm

The shore-power should be disconnected before disconnecting batteries. Make sure the house-batteries are holding a charge. Test with a multimeter at the battery-terminals (no shore-power). The solenoid will not work on discharged batteries if voltage drops to 10.5 volts. Cycle the switch on and off a number of times. The solenoid may be sticking.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Posted By: dicknellen on 07/29/10 03:52pm

If my Winnebago if the power cord is plugged into 117V, the battery disconnect switch will not disconnect.

Posted By: fisher60 on 07/29/10 12:11pm

How are you testing this, plugged into shore power? If so, you will still have 12 volt power to all 12 volt appliances via the converter.

'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

Posted By: tenbear on 07/29/10 05:09pm

Disconnect from the external power, turn on a light. If the battery disconnect switch is doing it's job the light will turn off and on as you toggle the battery disconnect switch. It will still disconnect the battery with the power connected but you won't know it, the 12 volts will still be there.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Posted By: crawford on 07/29/10 06:21pm

Mine did the same thing because batterys were really low

Posted By: Camper Ken on 08/03/10 04:50pm

Ok, thanks for all the advice.
1. I did unplug from shore power.
2. Batteries are well-charged, not low at all.
3. I've used the disconnect switch before. It controls the house batteries not the chassis batteries.

But... the disconnect switch is not working. As I said, I can hear a "relay" like noise, but it does not disconnect the batteries.

I already did as suggested, turn on a light, unplug from shore power, flip the disconnect switch ... nothing happens, the light stays on.

Any further advice is appreciated.

Thanks, ken

Posted By: fisher60 on 08/03/10 05:06pm

I would look at the relay being bad.

Posted By: Bobbo on 08/03/10 05:51pm

I agree, the latching relay is about the only thing left.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kids (1&1/2 German Shepherds)
2007 Winnebago Outlook WF331C on a Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis
2010 Subaru Forester w/BlueOx baseplate & Ready Brute Elite towbar

Posted By: Bordercollie on 08/03/10 08:31pm

It's ironic that just after the OP posted this, I had the same problem, interior lights would not go off with disconnect switch in off position. I could hear the solenoid snap though. In my case, it was a corroded ring terminal connected to the negative battery terminal. I cleanded the ring terminal and battery terminal and screwed them back together, voila the disconnect switch properly actuated the solenoid and interior lights went off and on with disconnect switch. It is wise to clean house and chassis battery terminals and all terminals and connectors periodically for the batteries to charge and accessories to work properly.

Posted By: tenbear on 08/03/10 08:45pm

If you have a voltmeter you could check the voltage on the latching relay coil terminals. If yours is like mine the momentary switch is a polarity reversing switch. Press the top and one polarity is applied to the relay connecting the battery, press the bottom and the reverse polarity is applied disconnecting the battery. If the correct voltages are applied then there is not much doubt that the relay is bad. You could of course check the contacts with an ohmmeter.

Posted By: revdsid on 08/04/10 10:23pm

Had exactly the same probllem as Border Collie this past spring.

Don't just test the batteries-- test the voltage to the disconnect. Each battery could test okay individually but what the diconnect is receiving could be low if the negative terminal on the second battery is bad.

Posted By: skooterdog1 on 06/26/11 04:41pm

tenbear wrote:

Disconnect from the external power, turn on a light. If the battery disconnect switch is doing it's job the light will turn off and on as you toggle the battery disconnect switch. It will still disconnect the battery with the power connected but you won't know it, the 12 volts will still be there.

I have a class c 2005 Four Winds. My battery disconnect switch is illuminated and I can't toggle the switch to get it to go off. Even though the light is on, I have no 12v power for anything. I have checked fuses, but have no idea where to locate the solenoid. The switch has never worked properly. Only when the light was OFF did I ever have 12 v power. Anyone have any ideas? I am about to pull my hair out as I am going on a trip in the RV on Tuesday and cannot get it into the shop as all are busy. I can deal with 12v lights not working, but I really need my slide and steps to work. I would gladly bypass the switch if I only knew how. Any help is so greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted By: tenbear on 06/26/11 05:33pm

skooterdog1, you don't say what model of 4 Winds you have, that might help. My latching relay is located under the bed. There is a closed compartment on the passengers side that has the converter and power distribution panel in it. By unscrewing the 6 screws you can lift the cover off exposing the latching relay. The switch itself applies different polarity 12 v to the relay depending whether the bottom or top is pressed.

Have you unplugged the MH and pressed the bottom of the switch? The light should go off then and the battery should be disconnected. You should not have any 12V power. Pressing the top should restore the power. Is your battery good, and charged? 12v is necessary to operate the relay.

Do you have a voltmeter? If you do and you have a helper you could check the voltage on the relay coil contacts while the switch is pressed. If all else fails, you could short the relay contacts out, but I wouldn't advise this unless you know what you are doing.

Posted By: skooterdog1 on 06/27/11 10:17am

tenbear wrote:

skooterdog1, you don't say what model of 4 Winds you have, that might help. My latching relay is located under the bed. There is a closed compartment on the passengers side that has the converter and power distribution panel in it. By unscrewing the 6 screws you can lift the cover off exposing the latching relay. The switch itself applies different polarity 12 v to the relay depending whether the bottom or top is pressed.

Have you unplugged the MH and pressed the bottom of the switch? The light should go off then and the battery should be disconnected. You should not have any 12V power. Pressing the top should restore the power. Is your battery good, and charged? 12v is necessary to operate the relay.

Do you have a voltmeter? If you do and you have a helper you could check the voltage on the relay coil contacts while the switch is pressed. If all else fails, you could short the relay contacts out, but I wouldn't advise this unless you know what you are doing.

It is a Four Winds 5000, 31 ft. Thanks again for your help.

Posted By: tenbear on 06/27/11 10:36am

Afaik the layout of the bedroom is pretty much the same in the 31' as the 28A, my MH. If you have questions or if I can help feel free to ask, forum or private message. Hopefully my previous post was enough help to get the problem resolved. I would appreciate hearing what the solution was.

Posted By: ksg5000 on 08/05/10 09:42am

As I recall my battery disconnect relay has a couple of fuses - worth a look.

Kevin

Posted By: Camper Ken on 09/27/10 03:57pm

ksg5000 wrote:

As I recall my battery disconnect relay has a couple of fuses - worth a look.

I've looked around and can't find fuses or breakers for the Battery Disconnect. I'll have to spend some more time with it and also locate the solenoid to check for corroded connections.

Thanks to all for the advice so far.

Ken

Posted By: Kamphiker on 09/27/10 05:49pm

You can download a wiring diagram for your 2007 winnebago HERE

It will have the circut breaker and fuse location along with the relays and solenoid.

On my '06 Outlook the circuit breakers and battery solenoids are located in the right front storage bay. They are located behind a steel panel with 2 thumb releases.

It does sound like you have a solenoid relaY switch with burnt contacts that are sticking.

Have you tried to disconnect the Negative battery cable from the House battery (w/ the converter center turned off) and try to reconnect.....Any change doing this ?

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Posted By: noe-place on 10/02/10 11:36pm

My 04 Itasca Spirit has a reset button in the right front storage compartment. See if you have one. It should be labelled explaining what it does.

Print  |  Close