Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Grounding a Honda EU2000?

Posted By: Ferndale on 08/03/10 07:35am

In view of a recent post here citing problems trying to use a Honda gen with an EMS, and receiving an E2 code indicating an open ground, is it possible to ground a portable generator to avoid this?

2008 Ford F-250 6.4 Diesel, Long Bed, 4x4 & 2010 Keystone Cougar 292 RKS
U.S. Navy Retired
1962-1983

Posted By: towrig on 08/03/10 07:47am

NO! Here is a link that will explain:
Click

2002 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel/Quad Cab/ Short Wheel Base
2004 Laredo 27RL 5er
3rd 5er, 5th truck but 1st diesel and love it

Posted By: vermilye on 08/03/10 08:47am

No. The reason it shows an open ground is because the 3 lamp testers use the ground/neutral bond at the service entrance to indicate that the ground is good. Most portable inverter 120v generators do not bond the neutral (code does not require it) so the tester indicates a problem that doesn't exist. The generator's receptacle ground terminal is attached to the frame of the generator so it still protects you from a failure within the generator that causes a fault to the case.

Some individuals have made adapters that bond the neutral (wide blade) to the ground so that their testers work or, more often, so their autoformer doesn't shut down the power because it detects an open ground, but this is not necessary for safety.

John "Grizzy" Grzyacz's PDF linked in the previous post gives a good explanation of why there is no need to ground a small portable generator.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

Posted By: Wayne Dohnal on 08/03/10 10:23am

This is a real terminology mess. As Jon noted, what is really tested is the neutral-ground bond, which is not required and not present in many small generators. The tester has no capability to test for an open ground, but it's interpretation is usually correct for shore power. With a small generator, its interpretation is bogus and misleading. Even though the tester says "open ground", that is not the problem and grounding will do nothing to fix it. Bonding the wide outlet blade to the ground lug, as noted above, will make the tester happy. With the eu2000i's power quality, using the EMS is not necessary, IMO.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Posted By: Ferndale on 08/03/10 01:00pm

I queried Progressive Industries on this and here is the reply:

"You can use it in by-pass or at the generator tie the ground and neutral wires together."

Thomas E. Fanelli, President
Progressive Industries
414B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 462-8280
fax: 919-462-6132
tfanelli@progressiveindustries.net

Posted By: mchero on 08/04/10 11:35am

Sidenote:
If I'm running the main genset and want to switch to my inverter I'll walk out to the outside generator panel & flip the genset breakers off. The Xfer to the inverter is immediate so I don't loose my DirecTV connection.

If I just simply shutdown the genset the voltage drop will "reset" my DirecTV box.

Robert McHenry
Concord, NH.
1993 Fleetwood 36' Pace Arrow
Cummins 8.3l Turbo 300hp (uprated)
Allison 3060 Trans
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
http://dieselrvowners.com/forum/index.php

Posted By: SCVJeff on 08/03/10 11:23pm

My EMS simply won't power the coach until things are configured correctly. So I replaced the outlet in the Honda that common grounds the engine frame with an isolated ground Hospital grade outlet, and tied both Neutral and Ground together at the outlet. Engine frame stays floating.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Posted By: SCVJeff on 08/03/10 11:27pm

ASCTLC wrote:

But doesn't a dying Honda 2000i generator cause a low voltage issue that the EMS can protect from? Running out of gas is best avoided but it happens often enough.

Or am I missing something?

Andy
Dying as in running out of gas? No. The 2000 is an inverter generator. It's either at 120VAC/ 60Hz, or OFF. They don't pulse, surge, or drift.

Posted By: Adam-12 on 08/04/10 01:19am

towrig wrote:

NO! Here is a link that will explain:
Click

Thank you for this post! Excellent info!

Silverado 2500HD Duramax DIESEL/4x4/CC/Z71
31' Travel Trailer
2 Honda EU2000i's (parallel)
ICOM 7000
Random wire, dipoles, verticals
Hunting/Fishing gear
Welding/Fabricator
Life endowment member NRA

Posted By: Ferndale on 08/03/10 09:15pm

"Often enough" ? Due diligence when on the generator seems to apply.

ASCTLC wrote:

But doesn't a dying Honda 2000i generator cause a low voltage issue that the EMS can protect from? Running out of gas is best avoided but it happens often enough.

Andy

Posted By: ASCTLC on 08/03/10 07:52pm

Andy

Posted By: pritch272 on 08/03/10 04:13pm

I chose to use a jumper plug tying the neutral and ground together to gain the use of the EMS, however, note that it would be a good idea to also use a GFCI.

I would do generator, gfci, then trailer or
shore power, gfci, then trailer

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

Posted By: wa8yxm on 08/03/10 05:12pm

I would not recommend trying to ground it.. There is no reason to ground a portable generator.. The ground on a house system is a safety issue. However the portable generator uses a completely different means of protecting you against hot-ground shorts so the safety ground is doubly redundant at best and a problem at worst.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: pritch272 on 08/03/10 05:26pm

pritch272 wrote:

I chose to use a jumper plug tying the neutral and ground together to gain the use of the EMS, however, note that it would be a good idea to also use a GFCI.

I would do generator, gfci, then trailer or
shore power, gfci, then trailer

Tweety's is selling the Portable 30 amp GFCI for less than Camping World.

Print  |  Close