|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Trading RV to new car dealer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
broccoli2

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turninghawk wrote:

broccoli2 wrote:

Emann wrote:

Looking to trade in our Class A for a car. Has anyone ever had an experience doing this?

You can trade anything in at a new car dealer, this is what will happen

Lets just say your RV is worth 30K
the dealer will call a RV dealer and ask them what they will buy it for site unseen (wholesale).
they will say 15K
then the dealer wanting to make 5K will tell you 10K
Your best bet is to sell it yourself
if you don't have time or just don't want to deal with it go to a couple of RV dealers and ask them directly what they will give you for it.
If money if of no concern drive that puppy over there. If it is a newer DP and you want to give it away PM me.
If your question is regarding paperwork only, yes the dealer can take care of all that
hope this helps

Now, as a REAL car dealer I will tell you how it's REALLY done (we've done it many times):

We call & ask for an appointment with a potential buyer (RV dealer or dealers that may be interested in the trade-in) to come out and inspect the motorhome, on our premises, in the presence of the owner.

We get a bid from the RV dealer(s), which the customer hears.

We offer exactly that as a trade in. (We are not an RV dealer, and on an immediate turn-over, we have no expense incurred).

The way it really helps our customer is that he pays sales tax only on the TRADING DIFFERENCE, hence saving him a lot of money in the long run.

There, thought you might want to listen to somebody who actually DOES this, rather than just an opinion.

Well apparently we have just found the only dealer that does not want to make money and is honest
I would PM this guy find out what kind of cars he sells and drive it to him.. Call it a final vacation in your RV

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3921
2011 Jeep JKU
2014 Polaris RZR XP1000 Titanium
2012 Polaris Outlaw 50 Pink
A few 2 wheelers
1946 CJ2a Frame off

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/10 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to NADA.com and determine what your MH is actually worth. Most dealers use NADA when appraising a car or truck, so they are familiar wwith it.
Be sure you list the options so you get the most bang for your buck.
If the dealer tries to low ball you on the price, at least you can show him the NADA price which he will understand. Print it off and bring it along.
Good luck.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

eddieelk

Cuba, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/10 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a friend who had a nice Fleetwood that he tried to sell for a year without success. He traded it for a $10,000.00 used pickup. Dealer sold it to a fellow he new for $16,000.00. Dealer made money, and my friend now has a nice truck to pull his TT. If I would have known, I would have bought his MH. Eddie Elk.

'98 Pace Arrow 36B w/460,'98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #383823, Gateway Getaways RV Club

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

Go to NADA.com and determine what your MH is actually worth. Most dealers use NADA when appraising a car or truck, so they are familiar wwith it.
If the dealer tries to low ball you on the price, at least you can show him the NADA price which he will understand. Print it off and bring it along.
Good luck.

This is a good idea.

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

broccoli2 wrote:

turninghawk wrote:

broccoli2 wrote:

Emann wrote:

Looking to trade in our Class A for a car. Has anyone ever had an experience doing this?

You can trade anything in at a new car dealer, this is what will happen

Lets just say your RV is worth 30K
the dealer will call a RV dealer and ask them what they will buy it for site unseen (wholesale).
they will say 15K
then the dealer wanting to make 5K will tell you 10K
Your best bet is to sell it yourself
if you don't have time or just don't want to deal with it go to a couple of RV dealers and ask them directly what they will give you for it.
If money if of no concern drive that puppy over there. If it is a newer DP and you want to give it away PM me.
If your question is regarding paperwork only, yes the dealer can take care of all that
hope this helps

Now, as a REAL car dealer I will tell you how it's REALLY done (we've done it many times):

We call & ask for an appointment with a potential buyer (RV dealer or dealers that may be interested in the trade-in) to come out and inspect the motorhome, on our premises, in the presence of the owner.

We get a bid from the RV dealer(s), which the customer hears.

We offer exactly that as a trade in. (We are not an RV dealer, and on an immediate turn-over, we have no expense incurred).

The way it really helps our customer is that he pays sales tax only on the TRADING DIFFERENCE, hence saving him a lot of money in the long run.

There, thought you might want to listen to somebody who actually DOES this, rather than just an opinion.

Well apparently we have just found the only dealer that does not want to make money and is honest
I would PM this guy find out what kind of cars he sells and drive it to him.. Call it a final vacation in your RV

Oh, don't get me wrong -- we make money on the car or truck we sell, but forgo it on a trade-in we're not going to keep anyway.

Jamesrpm

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trading anything for anything , the only number that counts is the dollars difference between the two.Take your rig and shop it at a few dealers , then you will know what it is really worth. Asking here is a waste of time.

benbovac

Horse Country Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/10 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just lower your price and it will sell. If you tried selling it with no luck, you had it priced too high. A dealer will only give you what they can resell it for to make money. I would try craigslist and list it for a lower $$...good luck.

BenBovAC
2013 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2011 Montana 345DBQ :

sepisllib

Cresco, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/10 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Emann wrote:

I cannot think of "any" car, pickup, SUV, or other motorized vehicle for which I would even consider trading my motorhome for.

You would be better off just taking your title and handing it out to the first person you meet on the street.

God Bless

Bill

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traded in one previous RV for a new rig, we took a huge beating of the trade-in but we knew all the numbers, didn't want to be bothered with a re-sale, and accepted the deal. Next purchase had us in a different state of mind, so we consigned the rig for sale...this required that we have it professional prepared and fix the little broken things. Pre-consignments costs were close to $1000. The sale took 6 months, during which time we still had to make payments on the loan and maintain insurance. The MH sold for much more than a trade-in, but the effort was also greater. The 3rd choice, which I have never tried, and personally would not attempt, is a private sale.
Guess it's your choice.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/10 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

Good luck.

You're only kidding yourself on that one. A dealer - any dealer, is going to take the value listed with no options added in. And if one says otherwise you need to be selling it to them ASAP.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Trading RV to new car dealer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: