Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Towed vehicle question for first time class A buyer

Posted By: Jack Shidemantle on 08/10/10 08:04am

We are trading in our fifth wheel for a 2007 Fleetwood discovery 39S. Will be traveling to NY from Ohio to pick up the unit. Plan to tow our truck (GMC 2500HD 4WD Duramax) back home. For a few months that will likely be our towed vehicle. Yes I know it's a bit heavy to tow. At some point we plan to purchase something much smaller. The question is will it tow ok or can I expect problems? Will be using the 10,000 lb Blue Ox BX7335 tow bar.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Jack

2002 2500HD GMC Sierra Ext Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison
2004 Holiday Rambler 34RLT Alumascape
Reese 16k slider
Amateur Radio operator since 1958, K8JXG

Posted By: rbdtanasi on 08/10/10 08:14am

Jack, with the diesel pusher you may not even know it is there, except when you stop. Hope you have an aux brake in the toad. If you do not, you will still stop OK but may notice the toad weight at that time. You will have an exhaust brake on the Discovery, so get some instruction from the Dealer on using it before you get on the road.

Safe travels

Rex

Rex - 01 Monaco Diplomat being pushed by an 08 Honda CR-V

Posted By: DtBt on 08/11/10 02:04pm

I use the same Brakemaster pneumatic aux brake on my Avalanche 4x4. You will be very pleased with it's performance and ease of use. The Avalanche tows very well but I'll have to admit it is a noticeable load at 6000+ lbs(loaded) climbing the mountains out west.

Dennis and Barb
2005 Safari Panther Diamond IV
1999 Monaco Windsor 40 SS (sold)
2002 Chevy Avalanche toad

Posted By: Jack Shidemantle on 08/11/10 12:18pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I feel better now. Yes the toad will have an aux brake. The Brakemaster pneumatic system (9160) which uses the coach air brakes to activate. It is a proportional system and has a breakaway safety system. The Roadmaster people, at the Louiseville RV Rally, assured me this would work well.

Jack

Posted By: The Texan on 08/10/10 08:34am

Jack, you're going to find that the truck makes a fine toad and that the DP will have no problems towing it. We went from a smaller SUV to our truck years ago and would NOT go back to a smaller toad. Just get a good aux brake, we use the Brake Buddy we've had for the past 10+ years, and you will have no problems.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: BigSkyBob on 08/10/10 09:06am

I tow a 2008 1500 4x4 Dodge pickup @ about 5800 lbs and can't tell it's there unless I'm on a steep grade. Two things are very important and can't be stressed enough. Have a good aux brake installed for the toad and know how to use the transmission and exhaust brake on down grades. I've used several aux brakes for my truck and have settled on the M&G system for ease of operation and hook up, but there are others equally as good. Enjoy your new ride.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Print  |  Close