RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Sleep decently: sofa, dinette, bunk, corner bed, or...?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Sleep decently: sofa, dinette, bunk, corner bed, or...?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
TravelHawk

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/10 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are struggling with this, your comments are appreciated...

Shopping for a short class-C -- 25 to 28 feet so we can drive the RV to see sights, instead of towing a car. (We are experienced RVers but downsizing.)

We are trying to figure out how to get decent sleep, since lack of it can ruin a trip. Just 2 adults of average size.

The RV can be close to 25ft if there's no separate bed. BUT is it actually practical to sleep on the sofa, and/or overcab bunk, and/or dinette (we think dinette is not practical due to length). Not worrying about "making the bed", mainly focused on sleeping -- what about size, lumps, etc?

Or, by omitting either sofa or dinette, we can have a corner pseudo-queen, but is that a good sleep? Getting in/out, width, length, etc?

Or, by adding 2.5 to 3 feet of vehicle length (and omitting either sofa or dinette), we can have a walk-around pseudo-queen. This gets us to just over 28 feet, which we think is our max length. Is adding this length worthwhile to get a (presumably) better bed and (hopefully) better sleep?

With these choices, the floorplans omit either sofa or dinette. We think we'd eliminate the dinette, and either use the post-mount table that some models have, or just use a folding table or two. We assume the dinette is the least desirable item because when not dining, it isn't much good for relaxing or sleeping.

What has your experience taught you?

Nascarcruzin

Home is where the RV is parked.

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/10 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate the corner bed, too difficult to make up. I'd rather sleep over the cab. JMO

Rebecca

Ronnie & Rebecca
Soddy Daisy, TN
Full-timing since 2004
Check out our adventures:
North to Alaska 2011

Travel Journal Enter the password - 12345
2008 Alaskan adventure
2009 Northeast coast and Canadian Maritimes

1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS
FMCA #388387

StanleyandIris

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/10 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the walk around queen will more than likely come with a miserably uncomfortable mattress and will have to be changed. I would be claustrophobic in a corner or cab-over bed and would go for the extra length to get the walk around queen. The question really is: Do you want to climb over DH and maybe even climb up and down a ladder every time you get into and out of bed?

I've never heard of a comfy dinette or dinette bed and jack-knife sofas aren't too comfy either, there is always a metal bar making its presence known.

Iris

Robert Cannell

Fulton, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/10 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A foam mattress cut the size of the sofa bed can be covered with a queen or king sized flat sheet and fastened on the back with velcro. We roll the foam mattress and sheet up and put it on the overhead bunk when not in use. Flop it down on the sofa and put a pillow and cover and the bed is made and very comfortable. The foam mattress covered with a sheet can also be used on the bunk but is too long for the dinette.

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/10 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a corner bed have no problems generally if one us has to get up in the middle of the night the other does too even at home. I did modify it slightly it was a corner cut and I changed it to a full square cut mattress since I needed that little bit of extra length. For a mattress we use a futon mattress with a 4 inch memory foam topper on it.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/10 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have fold out jacknife/dinette setup that goes wall to wall across thw RV when deployed for more than one. We sleep fine on it. No bar hassles but maybe we have a good one. The only hassle is setting it up but we are prety quick at it.

We use the dinette infrequently as we usually eat outside but when the weather dictates it, it sure is nice to eat indoors. It sure is nice to have a table in the RV however. Not sure I'd want to go without it.

I have used a rear corner bed and find no issues with it. Not sure how making a corner bed is harder than a cabover as previously posted.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

klewisd

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/10 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a corner bed in a previous travel trailer. Not a bad sleep, unless the person sleeping against the wall has to get up in the middle of the night. Our current rig is 28' with a bedroom slide, which provides a queen bed with access around all sides. IMO the extra 2-3' of added length will definitely outweigh the disadvantage of not having a decent bed.

Keith & Elaine
2009 Monaco Montclair

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/10 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the walk around queen in the rear and the queen in the overhead. I am 6'1" and can sit on the upper bulk and not hit my head. Before we purchased our present Class C, we rented one to check out floor plans etc. In the rental the loft had a very low roof and I would even hit the ceiling with my shoulder when turning in the night. The new 2011 models of our Jayco Greyhawk have been redesigned to make the cab over more aerodynamic. thus making the cab over inside smaller. So check out the head room. We have egg crate pads on both queen beds. We also use a step ladder with wide steps to access the cab over rather then the standard ladder. The dinette is good for kids or one short adult, same with the jackknife sofa. Our cousins have a class A with a corner bed and regret having chosen that style- hard to make the bed and climbing over each other to get out of bed during the night. The reason they went with that style was because it came with more cabinets for storage.

See you on the road!

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/10 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelHawk wrote:

Or, by adding 2.5 to 3 feet of vehicle length (and omitting either sofa or dinette), we can have a walk-around pseudo-queen. This gets us to just over 28 feet, which we think is our max length. Is adding this length worthwhile to get a (presumably) better bed and (hopefully) better sleep?

The sleep situation is obviously very important to you. Given that, I'd go with a walk-around queen, perhaps with a replacement or auxiliary mattress.

Chris

Lou/Pat

Hamilton, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/10 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous RV had a corner bed and an overhead cab as well as a dinette that converted to a bed. The cab was very uncomfortable and was soon converted to entertainment/storage space; the corner bed was difficult to make up even with a sack bed and wife complained about me climbing over her in the night; the dinette was just a pain to change.

Our present RV is a 25' with 2 slides. Sleeping is a full size bed that I can easily walk around and very comfortable. The jackknife sofa is very very uncomfortable. We never use it, guests have slept in it and don't get a good nights sleep. We very seldom every set up the table but us folding treys. The overhead again has been converted to storage/entertainment space.

The 25' is ideal size to get around in since we don't tow.

Lou & Pat, '05 Forest River Lexington GTS 255 on Ford E450 Super Duty, no toad. Retired so: HAPPY BIKING & HIKING

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Sleep decently: sofa, dinette, bunk, corner bed, or...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS