Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: spare tire carrier

Posted By: nctacoma on 08/12/10 10:44am

So I need a place to carry my spare tire.
i was thinking of getting a mount that I could bolt on to my camper bumper that is offset from the door. I don't need any swings or anything like that. It can be fixed and would be great if it bolted to the bumper and the tire sat above the bumper
What are your ideas?

Posted By: fueling around on 08/12/10 10:57am

I would not mount anything as heavy as a tire to the camper.
I assume you cannot access the normal spare stoawage with the camper mounted? How about a front bumper mount?

John
1997 Dodge 2500 CTD
1989 Cascade 8½ Self-contained Truck Camper
?? Eureka Timberline 4 tent

Posted By: nctacoma on 08/12/10 12:18pm

I don't have a stock spare tire location like on most trucks. I have a cab chassis with a rear fuel tank, which takes the place of the stock fuel tank location.
I was wondering if the bumper on my corsair could take the weight, but it is a pretty beefy looking diamond plate aluminum bumper.

Posted By: JoeChiOhki on 08/12/10 01:03pm

fueling around wrote:

I assume you cannot access the normal spare stoawage with the camper mounted? How about a front bumper mount?

Here's a question, how's mounting a tire close up on the rear steel bumper of a camper more straining on said camper than one of the many camper mounted decks/patios we see on here all the time?

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Posted By: fueling around on 08/12/10 02:01pm

JoeChiOhki wrote:

fueling around wrote:

I assume you cannot access the normal spare stowage with the camper mounted? How about a front bumper mount?

Here's a question, how's mounting a tire close up on the rear steel bumper of a camper more straining on said camper than one of the many camper mounted decks/patios we see on here all the time?
Load distribution and moment arm (torque). Patios are mounted across the entire rear be it a bumper or just the rear structure. A tire mount is maybe 6" across and the tire actually mounts ogffset from the mount varying distance depending on the design. A tire wheel combo is 50+ pounds and will bounce as you drive down the road. The genny rack that someone builds have wide load distribution plus 3 point mounting.

Posted By: jimh425 on 08/12/10 02:10pm

If it has to be on the camper, how about the roof rack?

'10 F450 Lariat CrewCab DRW, 6.4 PSD, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, Long Bed. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Posted By: turboo on 08/13/10 08:53am

msiminoff wrote:

Here's my solution...

I want to do something like that, but maybe mount the tire as low as possible with out dragging to allow as much cooling air into the radiator/intercooler.
Who makes a front mount that can hold a 150lb tire/wheel combo?

Posted By: msiminoff on 08/13/10 02:20am

Here's my solution...

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins, Goerend Trans, Vision 19.5 w/XDE's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Thuren trackbar, RS9000XL/MyRide

Posted By: Capt Eddie on 08/13/10 05:51am

Unless you are going with big tires?? You should be able to mount your spare tire under the flatbed an the passenger side in front of the rear tire. I have a 33 inch tire in a 36 inch box. I cut out the back of the box because it was only 24 inches deep. It is a great set up for my truck.

Posted By: NRALIFR on 08/13/10 05:59am

I've been carrying my spare off the rear bumper of the camper for years. It probably depends on the camper, but for me it's been no problem. My truck has a 45 gal. rear fuel tank that takes up all the room where the spare would normally go. I also have an old ammo box and a gas can sitting on the bumper behind the spare.

Also, I recently had a carrier for an old tool box fabricated so I could haul it off the front hitch.

If your not going to carry anything else off the front bumper, I'd probably consider that location first. It will add some weight to the front axle, and your truck will ride better with the camper loaded.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

Posted By: Geewizard on 08/13/10 09:33am

I bought a Draw Tite front mount receiver with a spare tire carrier. You can see them here. And eTrailer has them as well as many others. I did this so I could have two spare tires. And there's no issues with blocking cooling air at all.

Outfitter Apex 8
Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Mt Robson, Canada 2004

Posted By: msiminoff on 08/13/10 05:44pm

turboo wrote:

Who makes a front mount that can hold a 150lb tire/wheel combo?

I do... but alas, it's a one-off.

Having the wheel up there hasn't affected water temp or EGT's. One off the big benefits is that I moved the 125pound tire/wheel from behind the rear axle to in front of the front axle.
Cheers,
-Mark

Posted By: SoCalDesertRider on 08/15/10 12:33pm

Front hitch and front hitch tire carrier would be the best solution for pickup bed truck.

If you have a flatbed on your chassis-cab and empty space under the flatbed ahead of the rear wheel, then a rack can be made to hold the tire under the flatbed outside the frame rail with the tire at a slight angle down from horizontal. Dept of Forestry cab-chassis flatbed trucks, among many other govt agency and fleet flatbed trucks, have their spare tires mounted this way commonly. The spare tire takes the place of an under-bed storage box in that location.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Posted By: DanAKAL on 08/15/10 10:11pm

Geewizard wrote:

I bought a Draw Tite front mount receiver with a spare tire carrier. You can see them here. And eTrailer has them as well as many others. I did this so I could have two spare tires. And there's no issues with blocking cooling air at all.
I'm another that went with the front mount Draw Tite hitch. No problems for me at all.

Here's mine:

2002 Dodge CTD - Duelly
1995 Lance 945 - Hope It Is Half As Tough As My Cameo Was

1990 Dodge Ram W250 - SOLD! Could Make A Hemi Shimmy!
1987 Cameo 9 ft TC - SOLD! One Tough TC!

Print  |  Close