Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: DIY Awning fabric replacement?

Posted By: Ron3rd on 08/13/10 10:51am

My 6 year old awning's fabric is looking a bit shabby due to a beating from the sun. I know there are mobile folks that will come out and replace it for you, but has anyone done it themselves? Can you order the cut fabric from the mfg and replace it as a DIY project? Mine's an A&E awning and the mechanism is fine. TIA

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Posted By: sharker6 on 08/13/10 10:57am

You'll be better off replacing the roller and fabric for the little extra money. It's a real pain to replace just the fabric.

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

Posted By: Ron3rd on 08/13/10 11:06am

sharker6 wrote:

You'll be better off replacing the roller and fabric for the little extra money. It's a real pain to replace just the fabric.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Posted By: BigWinnie on 08/13/10 11:11am

I replaced the fabric on my 16ft A&E a couple of years ago (just the fabric, not the roller). You can pickup the fabric at most RV stores in the correct size for your awning. Multiple color choices as well.

Replacing is pretty easy. I had a couple of friends to help and it took us about 90 minutes and none of us had ever done it before. The new fabric comes with very clear instructions.

I will recommend that you have 3 people to do the job so that you do not risk taring the new fabric as you put it back on the coach.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still do it myself.

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
Cummins 275 Turbo
2003 Honda Odyssey - 4 down

Posted By: snarfattack on 08/13/10 09:05pm

Just to give you an idea on the life of the springs - I have a 1999 Carefree model that just broke one of the two springs (rusted). It cost me $130 to replace it, shipped, installed by me.

1999 Jayco Eagle 304BH
2003 Chevy Suburban 1500

Posted By: forumcoach on 08/13/10 06:13pm

I repair a lot of awnings. A&E original equipment vinyl fabric replacement suggested retail is at over $300.00. To replace the tube with the vinyl which includes new springs (FRTA assy.) is a bit easier, but suggested retail normally runs between $500-$650.

If your tube and springs are good, it is probably not worth the extra cost for the little bit of work you save.

In addition, Carefree makes a universal fabric that is priced cheaper than the A&E fabric. You may also find other manufacturers that make a decent replacement fabric. The quality is not as good as original, but I have seen some decent products and the price is generally about $125.00.

Google search and many options will come up. JC Whitney has one right now for about $127.00, haven't seen this one, but all of the reviews are positive.

Posted By: C Schomer on 08/17/10 09:02pm

It's not a bad job. Getting the old out is easy - razor knife. Getting the new in takes more hands to guide it into the grooves. Craig

Posted By: full-timer on 08/18/10 06:19pm

Dr quick,would be nice to post how you did it so we all would know.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Posted By: Ron3rd on 08/18/10 07:26am

Thanks for all the tips, I'll check 'em out.

Posted By: Ron3rd on 08/17/10 03:50pm

Thanks for all the good info folks.

Posted By: Dr Quick on 08/18/10 03:57pm

I have replaced two awnings for my neighbor. I figured out a way to do it with out having to unwind the springs. That makes it fairly simple.

If you are interested in how we did it, send me a PM and I will tell you how.

Dr Quick

Posted By: javaseuf on 08/17/10 09:36pm

Also realize that if you do go the entire roller-tube route and order via mail/internet, shipping a tube that long will not be cheap.

Posted By: dougrainer on 08/14/10 07:52am

Ron3rd wrote:

My 6 year old awning's fabric is looking a bit shabby due to a beating from the sun. I know there are mobile folks that will come out and replace it for you, but has anyone done it themselves? Can you order the cut fabric from the mfg and replace it as a DIY project? Mine's an A&E awning and the mechanism is fine. TIA

If you do the job, REPLACE the RH torsion spring IF it has the knurled cam lock design. If it has the gear lock system then don't. The old knurled cam lock system usually wears out after 3 to 4 years and this is what keeps the awning locked in placed when retracted. You will have to remove the RH torsion anyway when you replace the fabric so you then inspect it. Doug

Posted By: Dutch_12078 on 08/17/10 04:04pm

My daughter and I replaced the fabric on our 19' A&E awning in about 2 hours, including straightening a bow in the tube. I bought the replacement fabric from PPL RV Parts.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Print  |  Close