RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which states limit RV width to 8 feet MAX?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Which states limit RV width to 8 feet MAX?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TravelHawk

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/10 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into a surprising statement on Winnebago's site. Does anyone known which states restrict vehicles to 8 feet / 96 inches -- an interesting problem since the vast majority of RVs are wider, many pushing the U.S. max of 8.5 feet / 102 inches?

Here's what Winnebago says:

Vista floorplans feature a wide-body design – over 96". In making your purchase decision, you should be aware that some states restrict access on some or all state roads to 96" in body width. Before making your purchase decision, you should confirm the road usage laws in the states of interest to you.

2015 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Jeep Liberty 4x4
2006 GoldenDoodle
FCC Commercial First/General Class license
FCC Amateur Radio license N6JAZ
U.S. States visited (plus Provinces B.C. and Ontario):

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/10 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there are nine.
Kentucky - 8
Maryland - 8
Michigan - 8
New Hampshire - 8
New Jersey - 8
New York 8.5 with some exceptions.
North Carolina - secondary roads still 8 ft.
Oregon - 8 with exceptions
Virginia - 8
This is subject to change at the whim of the state legislatures and state dots.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

TravelHawk

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/10 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the list. I'm west coast, and my east coast travels weren't in the big rig I have now, so I guess I never noticed the restriction.

So, what happens when an out-of-state 8.5 ft RV drives into an 8-ft-max state? Keep out? Or what? If it's keep out, I'll be changing some upcoming trips...

I know many 8.5 ft rigs are driving into and around Oregon all the time -- the state has a zillion RV parks. Either the exceptions are many, or no one is checking?

This odd variance is similar to California's restriction of any rig even an inch longer than 40 feet, measured bumper-to-bumper, which the state defines as an "oversize" vehicle (RV, bus, truck, whatever). An oversize vehicle requires the driver has a special license AND the oversize vehicle can't go more than 1 mile from a major freeway. The state even publishes maps showing what roads are allowed for oversize vehicles. Perhaps not often enforced simply because cops are busy, but I know CHP officers who say they ticket "oversize" vehicle drivers all the time.

vjoek

Simi Valley,CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/10 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many County Mounties and Highway Troopers carry a tape measure??!!

Vince, Ellie & Nicky(Downs/CP)and Auggie(CCI Black Lab Service Dog)
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/Duramax-Allison
2010 Keystone Springdale 294BHSSSR travel trailer

RV.Net Rallys..21..Former King of Central California... Rally On!!

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/10 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjoek wrote:

How many County Mounties and Highway Troopers carry a tape measure??!!
Many, but they normally are reserved for tractor trailers. But there are those leo who will.......

TravelHawk

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/10 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, police cars commonly carry long tape measures, mainly to measure accident sites (skid marks, etc).

I've asked 5 CHP officers about RV length and they ALL immediately stated the law and said they always check (and cite), but usually because they have some other encounter with the RV or driver, whether accident, check point, gas station, other ticket, Border Patrol check point, even the state Agriculture check points. So it's an ongoing risk for 40+ ft motor homers.

But back to my question, what happens in the 8-ft-max states when an 8.5ft RV drives in?

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/10 03:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

I think there are nine.
Kentucky - 8
Maryland - 8
Michigan - 8
New Hampshire - 8
New Jersey - 8
New York 8.5 with some exceptions.
North Carolina - secondary roads still 8 ft.
Oregon - 8 with exceptions
Virginia - 8
This is subject to change at the whim of the state legislatures and state dots.

Your info for both NC and VA are incorrect ...

Here is the code from the Va statutes:

46.2-1105. Width of vehicles generally; exceptions.

A. No vehicle, including any load thereon, but excluding the mirror required by § 46.2-1082 and any warning device installed on a school bus pursuant to § 46.2-1090, shall exceed a total outside width as follows:

1. Passenger bus operated in an incorporated city or town when authorized under § 46.2-1300 - 102 inches;

2. School buses - 100 inches;

3. Vehicles hauling boats or other watercraft - 102 inches;

4. Other vehicles - 102 inches.

B. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, a travel trailer as defined in § 46.2-1900 or a motor home may exceed 102 inches if such excess width is attributable to an appurtenance that extends no more than six inches beyond the body of the vehicle. For the purposes of this subsection, "appurtenance" includes (i) an awning and its support hardware and (ii) any appendage that is installed by the manufacturer or dealer intended to be an integral part of a motor home or travel trailer, but does not include any item that is temporarily attached to the exterior of the vehicle by the vehicle's owner for the purposes of transporting the item from one location to another.

This even allows for things like awninngs etc. on TT and MH to extend out past the basic 102 inches.

and on page 2 of the NC book HERE is specifies 102" and clearly states this is on all roads in North Carolina.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/10 03:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelHawk wrote:

Actually, police cars commonly carry long tape measures, mainly to measure accident sites (skid marks, etc).

I've asked 5 CHP officers about RV length and they ALL immediately stated the law and said they always check (and cite), but usually because they have some other encounter with the RV or driver, whether accident, check point, gas station, other ticket, Border Patrol check point, even the state Agriculture check points. So it's an ongoing risk for 40+ ft motor homers.

But back to my question, what happens in the 8-ft-max states when an 8.5ft RV drives in?

As I have already pointed out two of the supposed 8' limitations that were posted here were incorrect and I'm betting the others might be too and it's more likely that all states allow this 102" which seems to be common since I doubt a TT manufacturer would build something that is not legal in some states to use on the highway.

BTW Md was mentioned as an 8' state and I bought my current 102" wide trailer from a Md. dealer so I'm close to 100% sure that is also not an 8' state as has been posted to be, but I'm not going to waste any more of my time looking this up.

Larry

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/10 04:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the fed govt approved 102 wide for commercial vehicles, they made ALL states accept the 102 wide or lose their state funding on highway and maintenance monies. If a state has a road that a 102 wide cannot transverse, then they are required to post it on the road, like the weight signs on bridges, underpass heights, etc.

I remember years back when if we sent a 102 wide trl to Md, we had to make sure he did not exit the intersate. NJ was basically the same, but the govt changed all back around 79 or so.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/10 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The info on New Hampshire is not correct either. Here's the cite:
NH over sized vehicle definitions.

I researched it because I've seen a lot of Prevost tour busses in NH bringing tourist money into the state. I know they are long and wide. The thought of missing all those tourist dollars was too much.

Millennium Prevost 2006
2013 Chevy Avalanche Black Diamond
HD 2015 Ultra Limited Low (Mine)
HD 2016 Triglide (DW)
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift and 24' Stacker

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Which states limit RV width to 8 feet MAX?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS