|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> PHOTO STORY 3

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

You can download the freeware Any Video Converter(AVC). Drag and drop your video file into AVC, select DVD video NTSC Movie(*.mpg), set a high Video Bitrate ~8000 for best quality, and then click Convert. If you can't find the converted video file, then just go to File > Open Output Folder. You should be able to import this mpeg2 file into Free Video to DVD Converter, or any other DVD authoring program.

wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/10 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492, tried to convert using any video converter and the following message appears at the bottom of the screen; convert failed: ERROR could not open required DirectShow codec wmvadvd.dll... cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x32505657. Tried another video in differant format and it will convert. Next? Wireman

Moderator's edit: Added a space after the colon to prevent the "Eek" smiley.

* This post was edited 08/21/10 03:27pm by an administrator/moderator *

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cruz of the problem is that PhotoStory 3 will only save video files in "WMV Image"(MVP2) file format, of which paid/free utilities may not reliably nor be capable of converting this file to other formats. It wouldn't have been an issue if PhotoStory would just use the standard WMV9(aka WMV3) format to save files. In any case, many of the free media converters available on the Net use MENCODER for conversions, including Any Video Converter, Super, etc. of which it may just be "hit or miss" as to whether it will work. For instance, I was not able to convert a PhotoStory 3 MVP2 file using Any Video Converter in WIN XP, but was able to convert to an MPEG2 file in Vista.

The only thing I can think of doing is to use Windows Movie Maker to do the conversion instead. Just save the file in Movie Maker using a high quality WMV profile setting. This could be a slow process, but the resulting WMV file should easily import into Free Video to DVD Converter. In the future, I'd just use another application or Movie Maker itself to do photo slideshows to DVDs. JMO.

* This post was last edited 08/21/10 10:32pm by 1492 *   View edit history

wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/10 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492, I tried reinstalling PH3, and Windows Media Player and that didn't help either. Like I said before I use PH3 because it is a pretty simple program for me to use. Will try your last suggestion sometime later when time allows. Was hoping to be able to convert existing projects without redoing them on another program.Is there another free program you can suggest to use that would eliminate this problem. How about a basic program to buy that you think would suit my needs, fairly low cost and simple to use. And thanks for all your help over the last couple of days. Wireman

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/10 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just want to clarify so there is no confusion, you don't have to re-edit any of your existing PS3 WMV files. Just import them into Movie Maker's bin, drag the file onto the time-line or story board, and save the file as you would for a Movie Maker video. You're not actually re-editing anything, just using Movie Maker to convert PS3 WMV format to a standard WMV3 format file.

I finally took a look at PS3, and generated a slide show WMV file, and this method did work on my WIN XP PC. I agree, PS3 is very easy to generate slide shows. It's just unfortunate Microsoft chose to use a save format which can easily be played back, but not well supported for conversion purposes. Good Luck!

* This post was edited 08/22/10 12:59pm by 1492 *

wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/10 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492, I dragged and dropped a project from PH3 to Windows Movie Maker and it did convert. It took 20 minutes for a 10 minute slide show and the quality was awful. I googled this issue yesterday and found out this is SOP for PS3. I found this, a plug in for PS3. http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/photostory/overview.html

As I said before I like using PS3, easy to use and has enough features that meet my needs. For 20 dollars this may be my best solution to the problem. Thanks for your help. Wireman

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/10 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Found a FREE solution! Download Sothink Free Movie DVD Maker which allows you to drag and drop your existing Photo Story 3 WMV files directly into the utility without having to convert them first. You can import multiple PS3 WMV files to play back on the same DVD. It will also make a rather nice menu, then burn the DVD disc. The reason this utility works with PS3 WMV files directly is that it installs FFDShow codecs, which uses WMV9 native codecs to decode PS3 video files. Most other utilities use Mencoder for conversion which installs its' own WMV Image file codec, but for some reason doesn't reliably decode this format.

The free version of Movie DVD Maker inserts a graphic title card at the beginning of your DVD. The paid version does not display that image. You can directly download Sothink Free Movie DVD Maker here(zip/21.5MB).

* This post was last edited 08/23/10 05:28pm by 1492 *   View edit history

wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492, I downloaded the program and was able to create a DVD.I guess the only issue I have is there plug for themselves at the beginning of the video. Still may pay for the plug in from Sonic. Thanks again for your help,you sure on the other end of the spectrum from me when it comes to computers. Wireman

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> PHOTO STORY 3
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS