Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Holding tanks for FEMA trailer

Posted By: Gary-3165 on 08/19/10 09:33pm

Hello! New member here, Got a question about adding holding tanks to a FEMA trailer. Kinda new to this, So any advice or pointers would be appreciated. I am currently looking at a trailer that has no holding tanks. Was wondering what all is involved in making one of these self-contained and also the approximate cost involded. I can do most of the work myself, so that is a plus! Would like to know a general scope of this. Thanks!

Posted By: bldrbuck on 08/19/10 10:05pm

I am not familiar with the Bathroom setup of those trailer but with no holding tanks they probably have house type toilets. If that is the case you will need a new toilet and a lot of plumbing. They may also lack in the axle capacity area to add the weight of tanks. If they do not have fresh water tanks and a pump that will add to the cost. It sounds like a major project and probably will cost at least 2,000 dollar in just parts.

Posted By: cmartin7143 on 08/20/10 12:17am

www.rvsurplus.net/catalog
Try here and smile. Happy trails
clicky not working

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 08/20/10 04:33am

at last count there were approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000 of those trailers out there, many have tanks, etc. look for one of those.
bumpy

Posted By: rockhillmanor on 08/20/10 04:49am

bldrbuck wrote:

I am not familiar with the Bathroom setup of those trailer but with no holding tanks they probably have house type toilets. If that is the case you will need a new toilet and a lot of plumbing. They may also lack in the axle capacity area to add the weight of tanks. If they do not have fresh water tanks and a pump that will add to the cost. It sounds like a major project and probably will cost at least 2,000 dollar in just parts.

FEMA has TT's with out holding tanks?
So just how did they set these FEMA TT's up?

Did they drop them in a state of emergency situation and then PLUMB them to the exsisting house sewer system?

Posted By: nny12972 on 08/20/10 05:10am

If ya' need to, RONCO (they have an extensive catalog on their site) makes all kinds---hundreds of different sizes in stock....the two each 25 gallon I got from them for my TH build---ran about $300 including shipping....they have all sizes, and they'll put whatever size fittings wherever you need them...
J

Posted By: Jimehc on 08/20/10 05:20am

Gary,

Those are park model trailers, they are not and where not intended for RV use..

The project you are seeking to under take, will cost you as much as the trailer is worth, not to mention the amount of time you will be investing..

Look for a fully self contained (RVIA Certified) trailer, you will save yourself a lot of time, effort and money in the long run and get a better trailer to boot..

Posted By: alcaudle on 08/20/10 06:30am

does anyone know if the FEMA spec trailers have the (inverter?) and 12 volt systgem?

Alan, Donna & Savannah

Posted By: Old Yeller Jim on 08/20/10 07:08am

Mine does. it's a gulfstream cavalier.

Posted By: Kemahsabe on 08/20/10 07:22am

rockhillmanor wrote:

FEMA has TT's with out holding tanks?
So just how did they set these FEMA TT's up?

Did they drop them in a state of emergency situation and then PLUMB them to the exsisting house sewer system?

They were put on blocks and attached to the residential water, sewer and power systems. Wooden steps were installed to get up to the front door. They have a converter because they have the 12v RV lights.

In New Orleans they had separate sub-contractors to 1)Haul them to the site, 2)Set them on blocks, 3)Connect the plumbing, 4)Connect the power, and 5)Build and install the steps. Everybody was making good money, from what I heard.

Posted By: Gary-3165 on 08/20/10 02:32pm

First off. A big Thanks too all who replied. I guess I need to delve a little deeper into this. I just thought it seemed like a good deal, but if its going to take that much time and money, I might as well look for a different trailer. Once again Thanks to all who replied.

Posted By: alcaudle on 08/20/10 06:06pm

Some of the trailers being sold have the holding tanks and the rv refrigerator, but are plain white. The ones without the tanks would be a great deal for someone setting it up on a permanent site. Two auction companies (and probably many more) have been selling the units at auction. South East Auction and Henderson Auction.

Posted By: dadechil on 08/23/10 05:41pm

Most of these seem to all be Gulf stream cavaliers, they are flooding the market in south Georgia. the biggest giveaway is the full size fridge and no holding tanks, other than that they could be a good deal for someone that only camps at full hookup sites. My friend that has one simply went to CW and bought the large mobile tank with wheels. Buyer be aware tho that these campers also do not generally have the shut off valves and do not seperate grey and black water. so a 30 gallon tank would fill quite quickly, if you were camping with no sewerage hook up. They are on the market starting around 2500.00 a hard price to beat for a unit of that size if you find one thats not beat up, and you can deal with its limitations..ie plain jane no awning no tanks nothing fancy at all (but also as a result less to break . Have fun .

Posted By: whjco on 08/23/10 07:31pm

ddreisbach wrote:

In New Orleans they had separate sub-contractors to 1)Haul them to the site, 2)Set them on blocks, 3)Connect the plumbing, 4)Connect the power, and 5)Build and install the steps. Everybody was making good money, from what I heard.

Only for the few that actually made it to New Orleans. The majority of them ended up in a field near Hattiesburg, MS next to I-59 and were never delivered.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2000 Excursion Ltd. 7.3 PSD
2000 Ford E350 7.3 PSD

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 08/24/10 04:49am

whjco wrote:

Only for the few that actually made it to New Orleans. The majority of them ended up in a field near Hattiesburg, MS next to I-59 and were never delivered.

and they were still in that field last month as I went by.
bumpy

Posted By: Kemahsabe on 08/24/10 06:23am

whjco wrote:

ddreisbach wrote:

Only for the few that actually made it to New Orleans.

FEMA has rules, you know. They won't put a trailer on a site that might flood.

Posted By: WTTCS on 08/24/10 07:29am

And many , many of them do not meet rvia specs. In my opinion, if you find one that meets RVIA spec and has all the stuff, many dealers will not disclose they are FEMA trls until the last min and they are selling for a lot more than the regular FEMA trls.

If you are looking for a trl for a permament site, they are fine I understand. However, if you buy one, know full well, that you are going to own it forever.

In todays economy , there are so many trls out here for sale , it is unreal. The prices are so cheap, it makes me wonder just how much people really lost in this bubble.

Just the other day while dealing with a local dealer, he was complaining that he couldnt give used trls away when people saw FEMA trls being sold for 2000.00 and many had never been used. However, he stated that he was making money on servicing them in the fields. Seems every one he has dealt with had, huge problems, and at 85.00 per hour, he loved it.

I think there is a market for these trls, but dishonest dealers seem to be taking advantage of the casual rver in making them think these are just "rvs" , and certainly they are not.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Print  |  Close