RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Workhorse Check ABS idiot light & message center warning

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Workhorse Check ABS idiot light & message center warning

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
njdirt

Monroe,NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried a search on this but found nothing. Today leaving from home when drove around block had these lights come on in an 06 22 Workhorse 6 speed Allison. Had my local truck mechanic(not authorized by WH) hook his computer to see if any codes showed for the problem and read nothing. I and DW were concerned knowing the recall on brakes etc. He looked at them and looked good and that the ABS has nothing to do with the brake system and should be OK to go on our trip. Drove 300 miles with no problems and no brake fade whatsoever with minor braking and hills(using the grade brake when on back roads).
Has anyone else had this and what should we do??? Any help appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Bob/Marlene and Crystal(Golden Retriever)and sometimes Grandkids....
37' Alllego Bay
dirts for racing/asphalt's for getting there

ctpres

SAN BERNARD RIVER VALLEY, Needville , TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holding foot on brake AFTER shutting engine off created similiar problem on our WH 8.1

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Foreman Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA
with
Headhoncho Suzie
BAR-BOB Ranch, San Barnard River Valley, Texas
2010 Damon Daybreak Classic 32'
1990 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2012 Vilano Tuono road bike

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the problem with ABS light coming on for 4 years and haven't solved it yet. I've had everything checked and sensors replaced, cleaned and reset. I am assured light does not indicate a brake failure. Have never had the feeling of a brake failure.
I turn off engine and restart and light goes out. Mechanic said that action is resetting light. Bugs the hell out of me.

Bob

minisprint91

Hudson Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to this web site and go to tech-tips scroll down until you find ABS Sensor it will tell how to clean or replace the sensor its pretty easy to clean them.

http://oemys-performance.com/techtips5.htm#abs

I hope this helps

BrickBrain

Pearl River, La

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/10 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also use Oemy's website for various Workhorse tips. I have continuos issues with my ABS system. I think the problem w/ Workhorse is that the ABS sensors are not held in properly and they tend to back out of their socket. I always have to push them back into place. Usually I go ahead and remove them, clean them and re-install.

'03 Allegro 32BA on Workhorse W20
'06 Saturn Vue
Demco Aluminator
RM 9700 Brake
'02R1150RT B'mer
Dyna Beads

ChrisFSB

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/10 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

On the Workhorse UFO chassis I got the fright of my life coming down a 7% grade - the ABS, ATC, AutoPark, Stop and the warm fuzzy "Hydraulic Brake Failure" message all came on.

I pulled to the side (clearly the brakes were working) shut down the coach, waited 30 seconds, restarted - no errors. Called roadside assist - not much help - except they said maybe I had overheated the brakes (no chance - I was using 2nd gear to slow my descent - no braking).

Got the truck into a service center - they found that the right rear ABS sensor was bent and damaged. They replaced the sensor and fixed the bracket - no problems since.

Chris.

njdirt

Monroe,NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/10 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the help. I will try cleaning them tomorrow before leaving and see if that works.

drifterpilot

Gloucester, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have experienced a similar ABS light situation. I recently traveled from Virginia to New Hampshire over a two day period. I had a constant yellow ABS light on my dash the whole trip. I also experienced very mushy braking although I did have braking power with the pedal pushed down hard. I was traveling in 96 deg temp during this time. After approx 30 - 45 min, normal braking returned. I might add here, that prior to leaving Virginia I had flushed and reinstalled new brake fluid in my system.

When I arrived in NH, I took a look at the ABS sensors. The right front and right rear sensors appeared normal and tested 1200 ohms on my meter. The left front and left rear sensors were backed out of their bushings and were dangling from their connector wires. Each of the two sensors was blackened and greatly distorted (pictures available on request). Considerable heat, presumably from the brake rotor had forced the sensors completely out from the bushings installed on the wheels.

I was able to order from a trucking company, two ABS Meritor Wabco Sensor ABS Kits, Part No. #R955336. The kits were verified with workhorse as correct replacements. I installed same and am in the process of submitting paperwork to Workhorse for reimbursement.

I am now traveling in Maine with an extinguished ABS light.

As a matter of note, Workhorse now has established October 2010 as the date for the brake recall fix to commence.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V
75,000 miles
Workhorse W20 Chassis
Vortec 8.1, Allison 1000
Kingdome (in-motion tracking)
Bilstein shocks (installed July 2013)
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
Blue Ox Adventa II
Brake Buddy
2008 Chevy HHR

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/10 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, I had a similar problem to yours and it was my ABS Sensor! Workhorse replaced mine for free! Good Luck, John

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/10 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, I looked up this number for you at Workhorse asked for Erika it's a toll free call 1-877-246-7731 and let her know what's going on with your coach. John

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Workhorse Check ABS idiot light & message center warning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS