RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: I Can't find a Review (Wolf Pup)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I Can't find a Review (Wolf Pup)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CFaub

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/10 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,
I have just bought a new TT, Its a Forest River Wolf Pup 16p Extra. On PAPER this trailer has everything i am looking for... The weight, the size, the amenities. I hear alot buzz about this TT but i cant seem to find any reviews. So if there are any wolf pup owners out there let me know what you think about the fit an finish, are you using a WDH, Sway or anything else that you LIKE/DISLIKE about the TT. Also if anyone has any links to reviews.

Thanks in advance

WildPlumYonder

Just south of Crater Lake NP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/10 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought one today, a Wolf Pup 17B (with the single queen bed). Pick it up Friday, can't travel in it for about 2 weeks, so I don't have a review for you yet.

We'll be towing with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7l HO V8.

Spent quite some time looking at models on line, and there were a few that I'd have liked to have seen in person (Gulf Stream Visa, Casita 17, Forest River r-pod) but couldn't make it work. I wanted to keep the trailer as close to 3,000 dry weight as possible - would have liked a 21-23' trailer, but I was unwilling to buy a new tow vehicle when the one we have is paid for and works great for all our other needs. I also wanted to keep the cost as close to $10,000 as possible. Missed that one by about 25%, but I still though I got a good deal.

BigPackFan

Endicott, NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/10 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFaub wrote:

Hello all, I have just bought a new TT, Its a Forest River Wolf Pup 16p Extra.
Congrats on your new Pup. I liked what I saw of them at an RV show.

Given that you've already bought it, isn't it a bit late to be worried about what others think of the unit? Just enjoy it & get out camping!

BPF
Searching for the right RV
2007 GMC Envoy

CFaub

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/10 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry i guess a review isn't the right way to put it... I am looking for people to chat with that have experience with the pup. I am new to the TT world...

BigPackFan

Endicott, NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/10 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing to be sorry about! Now that I see what you're after, I can suggest a visit to the Forest River Forums. Not sure how active they are but that looks like a good place to start.

WildPlumYonder

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/10 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here is a data point for you: doing the pickup inspection for our 17b today, and the (very knowledgeable-sounding) service guy mentioned the awning - he admitted that most people try putting it up once, struggle with rolling it up tight enough to get it back in the bag and then never open it again.

I'm tall (nearly 6') and my husband is taller, but neither of us can even reach the awning to begin with, we'd have to have two short ladders or tall stepstools to even attempt to get it down.

Also, looking through all the manuals that came with the trailer, I was surprised that there is nothing from Forest River on the trailer and the wiring - just on all the bits the trailer was assembled from. You'd think there would be some warranty paperwork, at the very least.

TT: 2011 Forest River Wolf Pup 17B
TV: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l HO V8
(map is where I've camped, not where I've lived or visited)

CFaub

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pup has a 6gal hot water heater... 2 part question

1st if i have water hookup does it refill itself when its empty (i.e. after shower).

2nd if i don't have water hookup but my fresh water tank is full will it refill itself from tank.

Also if the above 2 are yes, is the hot water heater replenished by an electric pump and is that pump 120ac or is it 12dc (does it run off battery when electrical hookup is not available)

CFaub

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats WildPlumYonder, on your new pup... I too heard the same, so i upgrade the awning (no bag). I will ask when i pick up my pup this weekend if they can get a wiring diagram for me and if they can i will post it for you!!

WildPlumYonder

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty sure the hot water heater is propane, not electric, but the pump is electric and works on either "shore" power or battery power.

The spec sheet says "6 gallon DSI water heater"

"DSI" means "direct spark ignition" which also translate to "hopefully it lights its propane burner by itself"

ETA: when we got the trailer home, we put up the awning and I'd describe it as cumbersome but not impossible. We cut piece of 1/2" PVC to put in the slot on the awning to help with rolling it up and that seemed to make it easier.

Our trailer SHOULD have come with wiring diagram and a few other things that the dealer appears to have lost, and they are reordering it from Forest River for us.

Our first mods:
1. cut down the back table to make it easier to get into the dinette booth (which also meant extending the wooden "rail" the table folds down on to and cutting a piece of MDF to replace the part of the table we cut off).
2. Reinforce the queen bunk to make it a sturdier shelf
3. Replace the hinges below the queen bed with better hinges and bolts and nuts instead of simple wood screws. Add a folding opener to prop the under-bed storage open

Future mods:
-- make a cover for the 2 burner stove so it's more useful as a work space when not using the burner (I prefer cooking outside).
-- add shelving on the wall behind the sink/faucet
-- add shelving above queen bed and put adjustable reading lights under the shelving
-- replace the ceiling mounted speakers with better quality speakers
-- weld a bracket to fit on the back bumper/shelf for our two mountain bikes
-- add an interior "baby gate" to keep our 2 dogs from going right through the screen door.

* This post was edited 08/30/10 03:29pm by WildPlumYonder *

CFaub

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks WildPlumYonder, do u happen to know if the electric pump pulls from both the fresh water tank and the direct water hook up?

I like your 1 an 3 mods i will be doing the same, in my 16b i already have a top bunk which i will be using for storage.
Is it possible after cutting the table shorter to attach the pc that was cut off with a hinge to the table so if you wish to put it down into a bed the pc is already ther and won't get lost?

* This post was edited 08/30/10 03:42pm by CFaub *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I Can't find a Review (Wolf Pup)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS