Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Truck camper for 2007 Tundra?

Posted By: mlinder on 08/26/10 05:38pm

Hi there,

Is there a "lightweight" no frills truck camper (not a simple shell, though) that will fit a 2007 Toyota Tundra? My wife like the ones that are hard sided on the lower half, and "pops up" what appears to be a canvas side for the top.

My payload capacity is around 1500#. it's the 5.7L model.

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

2009 Jayco Jayfeather 23J
Equalizer WDH
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD
DW
DD
3 bikes

Posted By: skipnchar on 08/26/10 05:53pm

Remember that payload has to cover passengers, cargo and optional equipment also. Just something to think about. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: fishfinder on 08/26/10 07:56pm

Also look at Phoenix campers. They're very durable, low profile, and weigh ~1200# with water & propane.

Follow this link and scroll down to the 4th picture, which shows one sitting on a Tundra.

http://www.phoenixcampers.com/PRODUCTS.html

fishfinder, Colorado
'08 Chevy K1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L/3.73
'03 Phoenix Pop-Up Truck Camper
'98 Four Winns 18' Fish & Ski Boat

Posted By: DWeikert on 08/26/10 06:16pm

I should hang my head for not also recommending Northstar Campers. Not as lightweight as Four Wheel's offerings which is why they weren't the first to come to mind, but they also offer a series of pop-ups that would fit your truck. They're more than willing to customize if possible and Rex is great to work with.

Not an employee, just a happy customer.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Posted By: DWeikert on 08/26/10 05:55pm

You're going to get more than a few "get a bigger truck" comments, but if you're willing to watch your weight take a look at Four Wheel Campers. Also, Outfitter makes a version of their Apex sized for a Tundra. Several members have one.

At the top of the thread list in the forum is a sticky More Truck Camper Info!!!! In there is a thread Truck Camper Manufacturers Links (Current) which lists current TC manufacturers with a link to their sites. Work your way down the list to see just about everything that's available.

Posted By: mlinder on 08/26/10 05:57pm

Thanks for the replies.

I will check the links.

Mark

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/27/10 06:02am

Check this article from the Tundra Solutions forum. Your mileage may vary but this person hauls a Lance 815 on their Tundra with airbags and says they have no issues. I would submit that many trucks on this forum are overloaded to some degree. Clicky

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/26/10 08:12pm

What your wife likes is called a "pop-up TC". Not to be confused with a "p-up" which is a pop-up tent trailer.

The Outfitter will be the only pop-up TC that has a full bathroom. The others will have a pull-out-into-the-aisle" porta-potie (if anything) and an outside shower.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/26/10 10:28pm

18seeds wrote:

Steve_in_29 wrote:

What your wife likes is called a "pop-up TC". Not to be confused with a "p-up" which is a pop-up tent trailer.

The Outfitter will be the only pop-up TC that has a full bathroom. The others will have a pull-out-into-the-aisle" porta-potie (if anything) and an outside shower.

Really?

My friends hallmark has what i consider a full bathroom. I was at 5 star RV and there were a number of Northstars pop ups with full bathrooms. None had a separate toilet and shower area meaning the toilet and shower were in the same enclosed area. Is that what you mean?
NONE of the pop-up TCs with a bathroom from hallmark, Northstar or any other brand will work on a Tundra.

My comments were specifically referring to campers that would work with the OP's truck. Given the title of the thread and the OP's comments I thought that would have been clear without me having to actually spell it out in my reply.

Posted By: silversand on 08/27/10 05:27am

I can think of at least 5 Forum members right off the top who have full-blown loaded Outfitter Apex pop-up truck campers on their Tundra pick-ups. Some have electric roof lift systems and some with airconditioners, too. Remember that the for Tundra-made Apex from Outfitter is designed, sized, and weighted specifically for the Tundra!

Good luck,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Posted By: 18seeds on 08/26/10 08:53pm

Steve_in_29 wrote:

Really?

My friends hallmark has what i consider a full bathroom. I was at 5 star RV and there were a number of Northstars pop ups with full bathrooms. None had a separate toilet and shower area meaning the toilet and shower were in the same enclosed area. Is that what you mean?

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo DIESEL

Posted By: mlinder on 08/26/10 10:41pm

Thanks again to all who have replied.

I may have to rethink this as the Tundra doesn't have a lot of payload capacity once me, wife, daughter, and all the "Stuff' that would go into the camper gets put in there.

I definitely want to be safe and not exceed the ratings.

Mark

Posted By: brianjw on 08/26/10 08:42pm

Four Wheel Campers
All Terrain Campers
Hallmark
Outfitter
Northstar
Travel Lite
Palomino
Phoenix

... To name a few.

2006 F150 SuperCrew FX4 - Bilsteins, Hellwig sway bar, Firestone air bags, BFG KM2s, 4.56 gears, F&R lockers, Torklifts w/ Fastguns
2011 Travel Lite 700

Posted By: DGrid39 on 08/27/10 05:47am

We have a 2007 Tundra DC with a 2010 Palomino Bronco 1251..I did add Firestone air bags but the truck does a fine job with this camper..

We now have about 3,000 miles hauling the camper from IN and then a road trip to the Gulf Coast and back..

So far, so good..I am now doing the electric jack conversion...

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/27/10 11:44am

Here's Livin' Lite's new light weight hardside. It's not too stuffed with insulation but it's sure light and rot proof. Their larger self-contained TC would work on the Tundra.

Bill

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/27/10 11:59am

Not to belabor this but the 2007 and on Tundras are as capable as any half-ton truck. If it will work on a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy half-ton; it'll work on a Tundra. Air-bags DO NOT increase your GVWR, so be aware. That said, with proper tires, shocks, etc., take a look at "half-ton haulables." Hallmark's K-2, Ute, and Everest should work alond with Outfitter's Apex 8 and Four Wheel's Hawk. In hard-sides the Lance 825 and 865 should work. Add Adventurer's 80 series and Northstar's Freedom and 850. Northern Lite and Bigfoot both have units that could work too.

Bill

Yes, I own an '07 Tundra

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/27/10 05:43pm

You may want to PM travelinglane. I believe she's in the NE and has an Apex 8 riding on a 2006 Tundra.

Bill

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/27/10 08:45pm

CO is nice in the fall. Not the riot of color as New England has but nice, understated and majestic. Take your coat and be ready to lock in the hubs. We went to Laramie for Christmas 2008 and it was solid ice and snow from Davenport, IA west, so don't wait too long. The folks at Outfitter and Hallmark are good people.

I think travelinglane ordered her Outfitter online and then had a great trip going to pick in up. Geewizard did the same thing and drove his Tundra with his Apex 8 on board back to Alaska.

Bill

1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/28/10 06:23am

Unless I'm mistaken, Outfitter no longer makes a Tundra specific Apex 8. It's not listed on their site. The current, non-optioned Apex 8 is listed at 1,430# and Hallmark's Ute XS is listed at 1,290#. Hallmark's K-2 is lighter but does not have a built-in interior shower.

It's all about comfort level and safety in hauling. Will the frame, axles, tires, etc. take the load. I would venture that a highway/campground camper could haul either the Apex or the Ute on a half-ton. The additional stress imposed by overland travel like Wahzoo, Seldomseen, Steve_in_29, Trails2004, and Silversand and many others do may require a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Could truck selection have "a bit" to do with where you intend to travel? I know that's what has kept me from putting a TC on my Tundra. I'd hate to be somewhere on say the White Rim Trail and have something break. We usually travel alone and durability/reliability are key factors.

I've brought many articles to this forum about the capability of the Toyota Tundra as a half-ton truck but have still not convinced myself that off road travel in a half ton with a near 2,000# (loaded) camper is a good idea. All the 150/1500 series trucks are just that... half-ton. If I lived in OZ, I'd be able to be assured a Toyota or Nissan ute was built to take abuse. In the States, light duty trucks seem to be build for ride and comfort.

But I ramble.... It happens when you're 66.

Bill

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/27/10 11:56pm

brianjw wrote:

...Looking at the Apex 8, I would be surprised if people hauling these on a Tundra are not over the axle weight ratings on a regular basis. ....
The numbers on Outfitter's site are for the FULL SIZE Apex. The Tundra sized Apex is a custom build and is lighter.

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/28/10 12:02am

18seeds wrote:

Steve_in_29 wrote:

NONE of the pop-up TCs with a bathroom from hallmark, Northstar or any other brand will work on a Tundra.

My comments were specifically referring to campers that would work with the OP's truck. Given the title of the thread and the OP's comments I thought that would have been clear without me having to actually spell it out in my reply.

My apologies for asking a question and no need to get defensive but why wouldn't a Northstar 850 with full wrap around work?

Again I am not poking at you or Outfitter. I just don't understand why some of these won't work with a Tundra
Because unlike the rest of those the TUNDRA specific Apex is a lighter version of the full sized one.

You are technically correct that all those other models (to include the full sized Apex) would physically fit on any 1/2ton truck with the appropriate sized bed but in the real world an owner would quickly tire of driving such an overloaded combo around.

Posted By: mtnstarman on 08/27/10 07:20pm

I've got a 1300 lb. hardside Mountain Star TC on my 2010 double cab Tundra and haven't had any problems yet. I did install Firestone air bags and Michelin load range E tires.

Posted By: Geewizard on 08/27/10 09:14am

I've had an Outfitter Apex 8 on my 2004 Tundra since.....2004. We bought both the truck and the TC at the same time.
And, "we" were three people with lots of "Stuff" too. Yes, I'm exceeding the published cargo capacity of the Tundra. I've done so for about 5-6000 miles, the estimated mileage I've driven with the camper on the truck. More than half of those miles have been on the crappy roads in Alaska...washboards, potholes, frost heaves, etc. As well as LOTS of gravel and mud. The only suspension mods I've made on the Tundra are Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. And E-range tires.

Keep in mind that my Outfitter Apex 8 was custom built to fit my 2004 Tundra. This means it's a few inches narrower than the "regular" Apex 8 model. While this reduces the empty weight a bit, I've more than made up for that gain by adding other modifications.

The real toilet and shower in the Apex 8 are one of the many great features of the Outfitter TC.

I haul my own water, 1600 pound about twice a week, all year long, in the same Tundra, at temperatures from +90F to -45F. This, in addition to hauling the TC, says a lot with respect to the overbuilding and under-rating of the load capacity of the Tundra in my opinion.

We all have to decide for ourselves what we're comfortable with. I've been driving Toyota vehicles for a long time and I'm very comfortable with the loads I carry in my Tundra.

Hope this helps.

* This post was edited 08/27/10 09:25am by Geewizard *

Outfitter Apex 8
Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Mt Robson, Canada 2004

Posted By: 18seeds on 08/27/10 11:25am

Steve_in_29 wrote:

My apologies for asking a question and no need to get defensive but why wouldn't a Northstar 850 with full wrap around work?

Again I am not poking at you or Outfitter. I just don't understand why some of these won't work with a Tundra

Posted By: nny12972 on 08/27/10 08:07pm

Thanks, Brian---was doin' that as you wrote!
Bill---thanks---done! We'll see....maybe have another fall trip---CO is nice in the fall, isn't it?!!!
J

Posted By: nny12972 on 08/27/10 03:47pm

Been tossing around upgrading TV and getting back into a TC for awhile now, and after looking around, I focused in on pop-tops---if possible, I want to get it in my 10' garage along with my little TH...was glad a couple of friends let me use their rigs for a weekend each to get the feel of running a TC again...
THEN, a couple weeks ago I spotted a pop-top TC with CO plates at Watkins Glen, NY---it was custom painted (no mfg. name), but I can't locate my notes with the mfg. of the TC....
MANY THANKS for the OP and posting links here, guys---turns out it was an Outfitter!
BTW: The minimum I figure I can haul the TC and gear with is definitely in the 2500 class...but have settled on a 3500 since I know I'll wanna' haul the TH along at times...
REALLY APPRECIATE all the pros and cons and feedback.
LAST THING---ARE THERE ANY OUTFITTER OWNERS OUT THERE ANYWHERE NEAR NE NY I might be able to hook up with and have my lady take a look at one, face-to-face?
J

Posted By: nny12972 on 08/28/10 09:31am

REALLY appreciate all the experience, links, and info/feedback on this thread!
BTW: Spoke with "Brian" @ Outfitter, and looking at their website, it APPEARS they're still doin' the light-weight for the Tundra...he says they'll do whatever the customer wants! (within reason!)
Anyway---'til the lady gets to see one in the flesh, at least she can read pros/cons/info.
J

Posted By: brianjw on 08/27/10 08:56pm

Also, if you haven't already, look at truckcampermagazine.com. There is a lot of Outfitter info, factory tours and pictures...

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/index.php?searchword=outfitter&option=com_search&Itemid=35

Posted By: brianjw on 08/27/10 05:02pm

You will get a better response by starting a new thread looking for outfitter owners. Good luck!

Posted By: brianjw on 08/27/10 01:54pm

It depends on how much weight you are comfortable carrying. If you are buying anything bigger than a Four Wheel Camper Hawk model, the question isn't if you'll be over GVWR, it is HOW MUCH you will be over.
I'm not the weight police by any means (you will find a lot of them here). If you are comfortable with driving over the GVWR, make sure that you can at least stay under the axle weight ratings and tire/wheel weight ratings. To me, those are by far the most important considerations. Braking capacity is also very important, but if you aren't pulling a trailer behind you with no brakes you should also be okay in the braking department.

Looking at the Apex 8, I would be surprised if people hauling these on a Tundra are not over the axle weight ratings on a regular basis. *I could be wrong as I'm not certain what the axle weight ratings actually are. Best I can tell from looking online the rear axle rating is 3800 lbs on the truck, I'm not sure what the axle itself is rated at. But that model camper starts with a basic dry empty weight of 1430lbs, add 350lbs worth of water, your propane, food and "stuff", passengers, etc and you are easily adding 2000-2500lbs to the truck, mostly all on the rear axle.

I'm not saying the truck won't do it, but I would definitely be interested to hear where the Tundra owners with those campers weigh in on the scales. Maybe some of them would be willing to PM the original poster if they don't want to post publicly.

* This post was edited 08/27/10 02:03pm by brianjw *

Posted By: Eugarps on 08/28/10 10:17pm

Actually, the '07 Tundra box is very similar to an 6.5' US truck. It's closest match would probably be a Ford F-150.

Bill

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/29/10 08:55pm

DWeikert wrote:

Something I just realized, I believe the Tundra Apex 8 was custom sized for the 2000-2006 Tundra. The OP's 2007 Tundra is larger. Wonder if Outfitter made a custom Apex 8 for the 2nd generation Tundra.
AFAIK Outfitter kept the smaller size (and thus weight) for the Tundra-specific Apex8 even after the truck got a little bigger.

Posted By: Steve_in_29 on 08/28/10 07:50pm

Eugarps wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Outfitter no longer makes a Tundra specific Apex 8. It's not listed on their site.....
The Tundra-specific Apex was NEVER listed on Outfitter's site. It was like the secret menu at In-n-Out Burger, something you had to dig up yourself to enjoy the benefit of.

Could they have sold more if it was listed....most likely. But since they sell every camper they can build (with most of those being preordered) there was no real incentive to do so.

Posted By: DWeikert on 08/28/10 08:26pm

Steve_in_29 wrote:

Eugarps wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Outfitter no longer makes a Tundra specific Apex 8. It's not listed on their site.....
The Tundra-specific Apex was NEVER listed on Outfitter's site. It was like the secret menu at In-n-Out Burger, something you had to dig up yourself to enjoy the benefit of.

Could they have sold more if it was listed....most likely. But since they sell every camper they can build (with most of those being preordered) there was no real incentive to do so.

Something I just realized, I believe the Tundra Apex 8 was custom sized for the 2000-2006 Tundra. The OP's 2007 Tundra is larger. Wonder if Outfitter made a custom Apex 8 for the 2nd generation Tundra.

Posted By: mlinder on 08/29/10 09:17pm

Man,

I am getting a lot of great info on this.

Many thanks! The Apex 8 looks good.

Anyone heard of this brand?

https://www.allterraincampers.com/home.html

Mark

Print  |  Close